Replacing front shocks, have a question

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Mistersooty Fred Johnson
Roselle, Illinois, USA   USA
I'm replacing. The front shocks, fulcrum pins and bushings on my Sprite. The driver's side went well considering. On the passenger side I cannot remove the fulcrum pin. It seems like it's seized to the bushings. My question is, can I warm this up with a torch to soften the bushings and drive out the pin or will this cause other problems in the trunion? Any other thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Fred

1966 Sprite

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Mistersooty Fred Johnson
Thought this through a little bit and I think I can answer my own question. I'm going to heat the pin and see if that lets me drive the pin out.

1966 Sprite

Jim Gruber Avatar
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
Fred,

When you get tired of trying to remove the seized fulcrum pin, A SawZall will be your best friend. See the attached How To below on where to cut.

Likely if you can't turn out the metal bushings are toast and replacing the wishbone is the easiest way to go from here. Cheaper to simply replace than trying to rebush. If you can find them on sale you can get a new wishbone with a new Fulcrum pin for $100 - $120. Better yet order both sides and usually unless they came out easily, end of the wishbone may well be cracked. Like below, again I've done this 4 times now and the only one I have been able to get apart easily is on Bugsy IV, my
'60 BE one owner CA Car that was garages in LA for 57 years and never saw salt ever. A Unicorn, a 59 y.o. Sprite with zero rust.Read the link below.

http://www.mikeamick.com/76midget/

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Mistersooty Fred Johnson
I got lucky. The heat did nothing but melt the bushings. I used my Dremel to cut the metal hat on the bushing into quarters. I was able to work them off with a needle nose pliers. After that if was pretty easy, even maneuvering the shock in place around the fresh air hose, generator and assorted wiring. All buttoned up and ready to go. I'll give it a test run tomorrow. The old shocks were pretty much toast and I was riding on springs.

1966 Sprite

Jim Gruber Avatar
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
Be sure and clean all of the grease off of the wishbones and check for cracks on the wishbone end. If the fulcrum pins go in wobbly or bind in any way the wishbones need to be replaced. This is your bearing surface the threads between the fulcrum pin and the metal bushing in the wishbone..

AN5L8016 Avatar
AN5L8016 Mark Haynes
Nederland, Colorado, USA   USA
Jim- I think the Fred was referring to the inner fulcrum pins at the wishbone/frame interface looking at his last post.
In reply to a post by mistersooty The heat did nothing but melt the bushings. I used my Dremel to cut the metal hat on the bushing into quarters
But you are right, checking for cracking of the wishbones is the right thing to do when you have them out.

'58 Bugeye
'66 'Stang

Mistersooty Fred Johnson
Attached is a picture of what was left of the bushings on the driver's side upper fulcrum pin. Replaced the bushings and pins as I was replacing the shocks.

1966 Sprite

Attachments:
image.jpeg    25.6 KB
image.jpeg

Jim Gruber Avatar
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
Fred, that's not the Fulcrum Pin that wears out. It's the one at the other end of the Wishbone. Yes those rubber bushings needed replacing but the critical one is the Lower Fulcrum PIN. # 12 in the Moss Catalog Page 44. That's the one that is often nigh onto impossible to remove.

Mistersooty Fred Johnson
Jim, thanks. Not at the point of doing the lower fulcrum and bushings yet. I replaced the uppers for peace of mind and to give me a baseline. I may do the lowers later this upcoming winter after I finish the head gaskets on my Alfa.

1966 Sprite

Jim Gruber Avatar
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
Follow the link I sent. All the info needed is there. Lower fulcrum pin, major suspension kit, 4 of Peter Caldwell’s shocks and a sway bar and you won’t believe the differece.

Mistersooty Fred Johnson
I've got a start. I did get the shocks from World Wide Auto Parts.

1966 Sprite

westburn70 Eric Flack
Glasgow, Lanarkshire, UK   GBR
You can use harder polyurethane bushes on the inner to replace the rubber. By the way I use
a small smear of KY jelly when pushing in and replacing these inner rubber bushes,
They slide in very easily!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1970 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links