Crank Pulley - 1275

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

sdurrett Steve D
Billings, MT, USA   USA
I can't figure out how to loosen the crank pulley on my 1275 now that it is out of the car and on a stand. Probably a simple solution but I can't seem to come up with a way to stop the crank from turning while I'm trying to loosen the nut. If I take the clutch off first, is there something to put a wrench on under there?

Thanks for your help.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
An impact wrench will get it loose.

Jim Gruber Avatar
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
And if you don’t have a compressor and impact wrench that Electric Impact Wrench that you can find on sale for $39.95 will usually work. And if still issues a rope fed carefully into a spark plug hole, both valves need to be closed or you can bend one, will anchor everything so you can get the big but off.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
I like to use a flywheel lock bolted into the back plate engaging the ring gear.
Rut

hpmowog Avatar
hpmowog Karl Keiger
Remove the clutch and flywheel. Then thread two of the flywheel bolts back into the crank flange. Use a pry bar or large screwdriver between the two bolts to prevent the crank from rotating as you loosen the crank pulley.

garm Avatar
garm Gold Member Garm Beall
Chatsworth, CA, USA   USA
I've had trouble with impact tools when the compressor wasn't strong enough. I think that crank pulley nut/bolt can be one of the hardest on the car to get off.

1960 Bugeye Sprite
1953 Dodge M37 army truck
1965 Sunbeam Imp
1967 Ford Cortina
1969 Subaru 360 micro van
1972 Honda Z600
1977 Porsche 911 slant
1984 Cushman Vanster
2003 GO-4 meter maid 3-wheeler

kevrew Kevin Williamson
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
Steve,
I tried an impact on my 1098 and it didn't have enough oomph to break it loose, so I took a piece of 1/8 x 1 inch flat bar and drilled it to bolt to 2 of the opposing holes on the rear crank flange. I cut it long enough to rest against one of the engine stand mounting bolts and using a breaker bar, broke the bolt loose. You can see the flat bar mounted to the rear flange, if you look close enough. Good luck!

Attachments:
DSCN0766.JPG    52.8 KB
DSCN0766.JPG

sdurrett Steve D
Billings, MT, USA   USA
Thanks for all the suggestions. Lots of knowledge on this site. I especially liked the rope trick, but since I already have the head off, I couldn't use it. And I don't have an impact socket that large, so I didn't try that either.

I ended up using a variation of the bar idea. After removing the clutch, I bolted a piece of 3/4" angle that I had around the shop onto the flywheel and braced it against the floor. Worked like a charm. It also came in handy when loosening the flywheel bolts, and the camshaft sprocket.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1963 Austin Healey 3000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links