running engine stand

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Vg569 Silver Member Victor Gaines
Lagrangeville, NY, USA   USA
Hi everyone I am starting to rebuild a 1275 engine to give my Bugeye a bit more power. I'd like to run it before putting in the car as I am the one putting it back together and I don't quite trust myself as a rank amateur. Does anyone have examples or plans for a cheap but safe engine stand. Preferable wooden since I'm not a great welder. Thanks and Happy New Year!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
Victor,
Lots of discussion here...let us know what you end up doing.
Rut

Rut did you mean to include a link? I searched the forum but didn't find anything about a stand to test a running engine. I did find one video on youtube using a wood frame that looked doable. Victor

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Ben M Avatar
Built this one myself.

Attachments:
DSC00961.JPG    52.1 KB
DSC00961.JPG

DSC00962.JPG    49.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
ohmite Avatar
ohmite Eric O
Eden, NY, USA   USA
I saw this one recently. I think it is quite nice and am considering building one like it for my next engine build.

Good luck on yours, I'll be watching to see your solution.

Regards and happy New Year,
Eric

Attachments:
IMG_3069.JPG    72.6 KB
IMG_3069.JPG

IMG_3070.JPG    65.2 KB
Hey thanks guys. I'll do something like Ben's unless I learn to weld better before that. Victor

Baardolf Avatar
Baardolf Robert Baardolf
Voorschoten, zuid holland, Netherlands   NLD
Hi, This is a complete engine stand I saw on a Dutch website http://www.tools.vocor.nl/index.php?action=article&aid=112&group_id=10000071&lang=nl

Hope this helps \.

Happy New Year

Robert

Attachments:
b_112.jpg    42.7 KB
b_112.jpg

Wow Robert that is very cool. That's 360 dollars plus shipping...tempting. Victor

Perdido Avatar
In reply to # 197795 by Vg569 Rut did you mean to include a link? I searched the forum but didn't find anything about a stand to test a running engine. I did find one video on youtube using a wood frame that looked doable. Victor

Victor,
Here’s the link I forgot!
Rut
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/easy-cheap-engine-test-stand.970493/

Perdido Avatar
Victor,
While doing my research I stumbled across this stand from Jegs and ordered one. I think it will be easy to modify as a cart and as a run in stand.
Rut
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchResultsPageCmd?Ntt=555-80064&requestYear=&storeId=10001&catalogId=10002&langId=-1&year=&make=&model=&submodel=&engine=&Nrpp=&No=&persistYmm=false

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-01 11:17 AM by Perdido.

Yes Rut that definitely looks like a good cheap start. Thanks Victor

Holy sht - I'd like to see the tire trick!

EdReiss Ed Reiss
Carrollton, TX, USA   USA
Here are some pics of an engine stand I saw at the 2016 AHCA Conclave in Cincinnatti. I thought it was a good solution and not too difficult to build.

Attachments:
IMG_2906.JPG    52.6 KB
IMG_2906.JPG

IMG_2907.JPG    55.5 KB
IMG_2905.JPG    55.2 KB
IMG_2908.JPG    63.9 KB
LoveHealeys Brian Laine
Arlington, WA, USA   USA
Here's the one I built to run in engines. I've made an adapter for the 1275 for it. Works fine. There are some rough drawings in there if that helps anyone. They don't include the drawing for the A-series adapter, but I can provide upon request.

http://lainefamily.com/EngineStandProject.htm

Perdido Avatar
In reply to # 197827 by Vg569 Yes Rut that definitely looks like a good cheap start. Thanks Victor

Victor,
The Summit stand was waiting for me when I got home yesterday and took about 10 minutes to assemble. It very sturdy and the spacing is very close for an A series engine and should mount up pretty easy. The storage bolt mounts on the front should be able to handle a radiator mount and the stand is generous enough that it should accommodate a transmission as well. I need to fabricate a rear mount, but it looks pretty straightforward.
Rut

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1963 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links