AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

zmc05 Avatar
zmc05 Zach McAfee
Sydney, NSW, Australia   AUS
1956 Austin-Healey 100-Six "Outcast"
Good evening everyone.

I thought I best ask the question before I drop my gearbox.......will a Sebring gear set improve the car enough to pull out my tulip set? I'm starting to set up my car for Bathurst - a long and high speed track so not sure the overdrive is up to the test - which I have to use, probably too often with the tulip set.

Thanks

Zach

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
DSC_2379_00004Peter Buchann +614173449937.jpeg    26.4 KB
DSC_2379_00004Peter Buchann +614173449937.jpeg

DSC_0618_00002Peter Buchann +614173449937.jpg    24.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
AxeHealey Andrew Grannis
Cleveland, Ohio, USA   USA
Zach - I can't help you with that answer, but your car looks fantastic!

Bill - It was great to meet you guys at PIB and see your car in action. I feel silly for not bringing my actual camera, but thought I'd share a couple from Tuesday. I took some videos of the two Healeys running down the front straight but they are too big to email myself.

Looking good with the lights on.

Check out the side exit doing its part clearing the track!

And I'll just leave this here...

wagonaire144 Avatar
wagonaire144 bill d
mequon, wisconsin, USA   USA
Zach,
you can't believe how much the Sebring ratios will improve your car. Big Deal! it will give you very close splits, right in the power band. you will like them!!
The ratios in early side shift gearboxes are similar, but higher in first, and comensurate jumps in each speed ratio. Please be certain you fit an uprated mainshaft, if not done already.
you CAN use an original shaft, but it must be modified and shot peened in two places. Look back thru the earlier notes, and see hints there.
Have a great time at Bathhurst!
billd

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
zmc05 Avatar
zmc05 Zach McAfee
Sydney, NSW, Australia   AUS
1956 Austin-Healey 100-Six "Outcast"
Thanks Billd

That's all I need to know. Will order the gear set this week and get cracking.

Thanks again

Zach

wagonaire144 Avatar
wagonaire144 bill d
Hello all hands!

Best summer for late season motorracing in a LONG time! Weather ordered by the Chamber of Commerce, rain tires that work, and a reliable predictable car that is down on competitive power, so nothing breaks!! My modified stock top shift trans is working fine, my new organic rallye clutch is my new best friend, and my iol and cooling systems are right on the money.

Oil temp, measured coming out of the sump, stays at 90' centigrade, water at 80'C, and oil pressure is between 60/70 psi. above 3500 revs. I'm using Penn Grade 20/50, and find it has mitigated an odd fluctuating needle on accelleration. Its now steady as a rock, and shadows the tach needle. Penn Grade is a semi synthetic, and helped drop my oil temp by 15 degrees.

This coming weekend is my final this year, at Road America. I know i'll be handed my hat, but i need the practise, and the car makes me soooo happy i need to take it out once more.
Wish the pair of us luck, and hope to see the collective youall at the track! I promise a report when i get home, mebbe with some gopro pix. (new gift from my bride! pretty nice...)

billd

Dougie Avatar
Dougie Doug Escriva
Portland, Oregon, USA   USA
I love that track and I really love the ELVF weekend. Good luck to you Bill and all the Big Healeys representing the Marque. Maybe your lap times will improve with age like Wagners....

wagonaire144 Avatar
wagonaire144 bill d
Thanx Doug! Wish i would see that Florida Green sitting next to the trailer, nose out, ready to go. Get it back on the pavement, no delays.
Did you get the motor out and apart, and what did you find?
billd

wagonaire144 Avatar
wagonaire144 bill d
Hello all hands,

A recap of the Fall Festival at Road America. Nine Big Healey racers there, an interesting cross section of prep levels and racing.
All ideas represented, from Aussie cylinder heads, Toyota transmission-equipped cars, full FIA spec cars, and an SCCA D prod car, wide as you please.
In an early session on Saterday, an unfortunate racing incident eliminated Jeff Lumbards' car pretty thouroughly, and makes some pretty far reaching repairs part of Jeffs future. A spin due to a punctured front tyre put Jeff crossways in 14, right on the high speed line. Another car glanced off one of hs rear fenders and spun him further, now facing traffic. One of my favorite Mini's, from Manitoba, showed up instantly, collecting Jeff head on. All hands are in good health, no injuries save to the various operating budgets.
Bob Wagners day went well, until a missed shift showed 9000 rev's on the tell tale. More investigation due there, as the engine ran poorly after that event.
The Ex Works 100-6 from Minnesota ran the enduro, and ran like a quiet train all weekend. Looked great, and was well driven, with competitive lap times around 2:59 down to 2.56.
My own car ran well, handled well, and Frankenstein under the hood gave me its best, until it didn't. In the last race, on the last lap, something went bang, and i coasted off the pavement.
Lap times for this race for me started at 3:12,, and finally dropped to 3:09 consistantly. Elkhart is a horsepower course, and i didn't bring any, so i'm delighted to have made 3:09! the best part is that i could drive thru the corners or slide thru the corners, both with really predictable entry and exit. More power is my goal next season, so i'm looking into parts and machinework as i dismantle my unfortunate power plant. Pix when its apart.
What did you all do/get done/plan? Do tell....
billd

Dougie Avatar
Dougie Doug Escriva
Bill -

Wow, nine Big Healey's that's great. Let's get double that number next year. Wish I could have been there, terrible news about Lumbard's car. He put many hours of planning and building into that car, I hope he can make the repairs needed. RA can be a cruel mistress, I know first hand having been slapped pretty hard by her when I stepped out of bounds. Wagner's car is reving to 9K? Is he running a billet crank? I was seriously leaning towards one on this build, but it's time for a re-bore, which means new custom pistons and I didn't want to repalce my good Carrillo rods as well. I did find the source my of short term oil problems, but still need your help in routing the exterior oil lines correctly. Also interested in routing an exterior water line to the rear cylinder as some have done. Bill, I'll PM you with further details, I want to build a strong, high performing, long lasting engine. Is that an oxymoron.......?

wagonaire144 Avatar
wagonaire144 bill d
Doug et al,
When I say Wagner went to 9,000, i don't think that was in our plans.... he was running at the sharp end of the group, and missed an upshift. The engine was built to be shifted at 7500, and is safe to 8000 under load. I think the missed shift will create a busy winter for us....
We had two billet cranks made when we built his fresh engines 3 years ago. Any time a billet crank is used, with accurate machinework, good rods and bolts, and lots of cylinderhead work to assure the right clearances, you have the beginnings of a bulletproof engine. The rest comes from attention to the environment the engine lives in. Is the oil cool enuf? is the water temp. capable of keeping the engine cool at full hammer on a 95 degree day? Some of our best engines dyno at top numbers, but fail to thrive when put in the car. Look for those ideal numbers, and strive to keep them in the center. The engine needs margin. Best hi performance water temp. is 195, and best oil temp. in a happy engine will prolly be 20 degrees more, at 215/220. If the motor is too cool, tape off the rad. until the day warms up.
In reviewing the performance of Bobs engine, the single biggest thing that occurs to us is the stability of oil pressure/temp. We'll see the dividends when we take this motor apart.
To contrast, my personal engine, with a nitrited stock crank allows the hot pressure to drop under duress. I saw the same oil pressures when cool drop when at speed, to a stable 50 psi at 3500 to 7000. The only reason the stock crank lives is the nitrite process stiffens it, but not as stiff as the billet part.
Best of luck, and get to it!!
billd

One more thing- this season, i've gotten to meet several folks that read this thread, and its really fun to put a face to the count. Please keep coming by to say hello... it helps when i'm laying on my back taking another gearbox out, or scratching my head over some dimension that measures wrong. Thanx!!
billd

wagonaire144 Avatar
wagonaire144 bill d
Hello all hands,

Its not snowing yet, but i'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Today its 50 degrees, soaking wet and raining on and off. Great day to be in the shed, looking at next season.

The results and work of 2017 are mixed, but the mental sum of my efforts is that i had a lot of fun this past season. Lots of work, but worth every skinned knuckle and dispairing moan.
Systems that chased me and demanded more attention are:

engine water temperature margin
oil pressure stability
power and torque production within my budget
solution to an intermittant no-signal from my transponder

At the end race of the season for me, in my last race on sunday, my engine failed. So far, what i can see is that i split a lifter, and it disappeared into the lower half of the motor. I find a bent pushrod, a bent intake valve, jammed open. That caused the rest of the inlets to breathe in the compression of the dead cylinder, through the balance pipe. That prolly saved the rest of my hardware, as the power production stopped immediately. This happened at 'round 6500, and was a shock, as the car seemed to be pretty happy.

Once i get room in the shed, (V8 engined studebaker wagon hogging all the room, motor finished soon) i can dismantle it and get to its secrets.
My original thoughts about keeping the infrastucture to a minimum all worked pretty well, including my open trailer (tows beautifully at 80 mph) and pair of large market umbrellas for shade/rain relief. I do think a foldup canopy will be part of my longer term plan, but for now, any spare dollars will go into the above list of systems.

how did you all make out so far this past year? any failures? any new plans? any outrageous trips planned? Any New cars under construction?

Attachments:
AustinHealey PIB 2017.jpg    32.7 KB
AustinHealey PIB 2017.jpg

Dougie Avatar
Dougie Doug Escriva
Hello Bill -

I was just thinking of you. Looking through my new issue of Victory Lane Magazine, I came across a picture of a sharp looking deep blue Healey sporting a hardtop.
Nice to see you get some pub. In addtion, Road America released their 2018 vintage race schedule.

MARK THE DATE - 2018 VSCDA ELKHART LAKE VINTAGE FESTIVAL SEPTEMBER 14-16. Let's get 15-20 Big Healey racers there for this event.

Snowing in the mountains here, raining hard in the valley at 48-50. Exterior house work done and the yard is winter ready. Garage/shop is a toasty 68-70 degrees
(Sorry Bill) infloor heat best decision I made during the build. I'll start to pulling the engine today, new parts ordered and I've consulted with my machine shop on the goals for this engine build. A more usable power, but much much more durabilty and longivety.

Best

Attachments:
Bill - Victory Lane.jpg    61.4 KB
Bill - Victory Lane.jpg

2018 RA Schedule.jpg    66.7 KB
wagonaire144 Avatar
wagonaire144 bill d
Hello all, and happy freezing cold Saterday! ITs gray, attempting to snow, and the river is skimmed with ice... the geese are confused.
Thank you Dougie, i have no subscriptions to any print mags, except Motorsport, and didn't see the picture of #144 till you forwarded it to me... Muchas Gracias!
Your heated floor REALLY makes me think i should just load my car up and tow to your yard, and live in my station wagon and work in your shop.
That reminds me, In Janet Guthries's excellent book, there is a chapter in which she describes an overhaul of her XK140 engine one winter, in the back of her Ford station wagon, while parked in a boatyard. Can you imagine?? THAT is a motivated racer....
This past week, i bought some great pix from a man that was at two events i ran at, and i wanted to provide a link to his pix. My reason is that he is FIXATED on our cars, and provides fotos of most of the cars running at Road America. I am not a commissioned salesman, and find the fotos reflective of his same love for the shapes and sounds of our machines.
Use this address http://billnesius.com/photography/AustinHealeys/
and have a good time.

I think Dougie has a great idea, that we try to get as many 6 cylinder and 100 racers and roadcars to Road America this coming Fall Festival, for September 2018. As you will see in the fotos, Jeff Lumbard will need some encouragement and some motivation to provide us with more views and sounds of his #67 car... Wish him speed and enuf cash to get it done, and encourage him to complete the process in time! My own goal is to be sorted and running well by then. Cross your fingers!
Billd

perk74 Avatar
perk74 Barry Perkins
Lenoir City, TN, USA   USA
Bill, Doug, and all,

Thanks for providing the visual encouragement . The “wide” yellow car is owned by Georg Olson, pretty neat peice, I was fortunate to get to drive it about ten years ago at Gingerman, and Grattan. At that time it had a one off Healey cased gearbox with Hewland internals in it. I would love to see someone (Bill?) take up the cause to produce a few more of them, but realistically it would be an expensive undertaking to make it happen.

I’m plugging along finished the chassis/cage paint work a couple of weeks ago, should have her together and running any day now..........................not. But it is ready to start bolting parts and systems on it which most have been prefitted and or assembled. So maybe things aren’t as far away as it seems. By doing the paint work myself I saved probably $10k that I didn’t have, so by doing REAL racer math, that really means I have at least half that to spend on parts.

Barry

Attachments:
D8DCE822-D6ED-4663-AEC7-C09A8F87F831.jpeg    51.2 KB
D8DCE822-D6ED-4663-AEC7-C09A8F87F831.jpeg

8821630F-7D4B-4CD1-9808-FFC4C57B4FDA.jpeg    52.6 KB
Dougie Avatar
Dougie Doug Escriva
Ok Barry, looks like you have everything under control. We're counting on you to make the grid at RA September 14, 2018. Keep us posted on your progress, we have plenty of encouragement for you.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links