Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Price: ?
cpcooper Craig Cooper
Chico, CA, USA   USA
Hey, it could happen! Building a kind of radical 100 motor and also slightly warmed 3000. Found one aluminum flywheel on eBay, but would love to find another, aftermarket or lightened 6 cylinder flywheel. Aftermarket 4 cyl too... If DW doesn't make a distinction, why should I?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
petnatcar Silver Member Peter Carbone
Watertown, NY, USA   USA
Craig,

I'm not absolutely sure about this but I think you need the weight of a steel flywheel
to help maintain the balance.

You can still lighten the flywheel but there's something about that spinning mass
that keeps the rest of the engine in balance. Aluminum doesn't have the mass.

I reduced the weight of mine by about 25% and the engine definitely spins up faster so Aluminum
would spin up even faster but maybe at the cost of longevity in the power train.

If you're gonna race the car then aluminum might be a wiser choice but for the rest of us mere mortals
a lightened steel flywheel will provide a noticeable improvement in performance for minimal cost.

Good luck,
Peter

grey1 Mike H
Delta, BC, Canada   CAN
Peter, Same for me. Took some weight off my flywheel, just not too much. Street car only. There is definitely a "sweet spot". These cars are used to spinning a certain amount of "mass".

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Chico, CA, USA   USA
Sounds like I'd be doing someone a real favor taking that lightened or aluminum flywheel off their hands. I'll even provide a standard flywheel in exchange, shipped free. What can I say, I'm a giver!

grey1 Mike H
Delta, BC, Canada   CAN
Nice Craig, after all, it is the "Season of Giving" smileys with beer

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1955 Austin Healey 100S

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links