Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Patrickb2235 Avatar
Patrickb2235 Patrick Brazee
Abilene, TX, USA   USA
Have a 1955 or 56 100. With engine number 227492. Any info would be awesome.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Shamrock Avatar
Shamrock Scott Drewa
Oak Creek, WI, USA   USA
What info do you need?

simon1966 Avatar
simon1966 Silver Member Simon Griffin
.Madison County, IL, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
1954 Austin-Healey 100 "BEV"
1977 MG MGB
Based on the photos that you posted on FB, you car is a mid 55 BN1, one of the last few produced before the BN2 came out in August. I suspect that it was sold and first registered in 56, hence the confusion about its age. If the number above is taken from the engine tag then it appears that the engine is the original one to the car,

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Patrickb2235 Avatar
Patrickb2235 Patrick Brazee
Abilene, TX, USA   USA
Manufacture date time frame, amount made that year, anything on Austin-healey new to this realm of cars, so dont know much about it.

Shamrock Avatar
Shamrock Scott Drewa
Oak Creek, WI, USA   USA
Here's what you can do. Go to the Austin healey registry, and for adout $60 they will send you your complete build sheet on the car.

simon1966 Avatar
1953 MG TD
1977 MG MGB
This is where you need to go for an official certificate from the build records

https://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/archive/heritage-certificates

You should send them the chassis number (Complete with all letters and numbers)
The engine number (also complete with all records an numbers)

Also the body number and the batch number, which are on the painted plate above the chassis number tag on the fire wall (Can see part of them in the photo posted on Fcool smiley

For fun you can see if the body number matches the numbers stamped into the back of the cockpit alloy trim pieces as well as on the trunk lid prop bracket.

Shamrock Avatar
Shamrock Scott Drewa
Oak Creek, WI, USA   USA
Exactly

Healey2 Avatar
Healey2 Silver Member Curtis Arndt
CA, USA   USA
Patrick,

From my records, here are a couple of cars close to yours...

BN1-L/ 227475, engine no. 1B227475M, 5441/9933 built 22 Jul. 1955 but not dispatched until 01 Oct. 1955.

BN1-L/ 227500, engine no. 1B227500M, 5441/9879 built 09 Aug. 1955.

Get a British Heritage trust certificate, but most likely your car was built in late July or early August '55.

Regarding number of cars built that year...1955? Assume that starting in Jan. '55 the factory was at around body no. 7000 (my car no. 7197 built 11 Jan. '55) and on 06 Jan. '56, BN2-L/ 230314, body no.11869... so maybe about 4,850 cars built in calendar year 1955 as a rough estimate.

It's a late enough BN1 that you have most of the BN2 features except for the four speed transmission, larger front wheel opening and bigger (wider) front brakes. BTW I think that the BN2 four speed transmission is a bit overrated, and I really like my well sorted BN1 three speed.

I've attached a chart of changes for all 100s.

Cheers,

Curt

Attachments:
AH BN1-2 Concours Chart of Changes.pdf    630.9 KB

simon1966 Avatar
1953 MG TD
1977 MG MGB
Very timely Curt. At a car show over the weekend someone pointed out that my chassis number tag was in the wrong place, being in the foot well and not on the firewall. Since my car was built in October 54 the changes chart clearly shows that I have it in the right place. Hope you are doing well? Thanks for all your knowledge, Simon

Healey2 Avatar
Healey2 Silver Member Curtis Arndt
CA, USA   USA
Simon,

Thank you for the kind words.

Knowing you, I am certain that you politely educated this person on this little known detail. One good thing you can do is to print out my "Chart of Changes" which describes this detail and others during the production run of BN1s and BN2s.

I hope to update this soon to include photos which should help greatly as many do not take the time to read in detail.

To recap... " At Chassis no. 219001 Sep ’54 – The first car with unified chassis/engine number, the preceding series of engines used in AH 100s appears to have ended in the range of 216XXX. This appears to be the point where the plastic chassis and engine no. tag on the foot well trim panel was changed to the oval aluminum unified chassis/engine no. tag. Also, at this point the aluminum chassis tag was removed from the right frame rail in the engine compartment by the master cylinder bracket, however the two mounting holes for this tag remained through the end of BN2 production.

This new oval aluminum tag remained in the driver’s foot well at least until early Jan. ’55, when it was moved to the firewall below the batch/body number tag.

Cheers,

Curt

Attachments:
2760.jpg    13.8 KB
2760.jpg

IMG_0150.JPG    35.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
BN1lL 219406.jpg    37.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1962 Austin Healey 3000 BT7

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links