Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

filospinato Avatar
filospinato Jake Voelckers
Manassas, VA, USA   USA
Alright, I've got an assortment of early style door checks, but am uncertain as to which ones are correct. I have a pair of TR2/3 checks with a straight bar, one short curved one and one long curved one. All of them use the early roller/flat spring retainer. Also shown are a pair of BN2 checks that are totally different.
Can anyone confirm if I have a BN1 style check in here?
Thanks,
Jake

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20180906_184526.jpg    33.6 KB
20180906_184526.jpg

hamgr Avatar
hamgr Graham Hammond
Littlehampton, SA, Australia   AUS
Hi
BN1 had two types from memory, the picture below is the earlier one. Micheal Salter has done the research on this.

Graham

Attachments:
door check.JPG    34.8 KB
door check.JPG

Healey2 Avatar
Healey2 Silver Member Curtis Arndt
CA, USA   USA
Jake,

Two types....

The early doors with aluminum hinges used the door checks on the right (the ones on Graham's photo) , and the later cars with the steel hinges used the doors
checks on the right in your photo.

The changeover from aluminum to steel door hinges occurred at

Regarding the four chrome "feet" in the upper right of the photo, the three on the left are for the six-cylinder cars and the one on the right is for the BN1/2s. The tip of the BN1/2 chrome feet are a bit more pointed... See attached photos.

Cheers,

Curt

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_7442.JPG    35.4 KB
IMG_7442.JPG

IMG_7441.JPG    35.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_7438.JPG    44.8 KB
IMG_7439.JPG    34.7 KB
IMG_6125.JPG    37.8 KB
IMG_6126.JPG    34.3 KB
IMG_6127.JPG    24.7 KB
IMG_6145.JPG    42.5 KB
Healey2 Avatar
CA, USA   USA
I forgot to complete this sentence... "The changeover from aluminum to steel door hinges occurred at... Body no. 5100 (c219046) Sep ’54 – Aluminum door hinges changed to steel. Improved checkstraps."

filospinato Avatar
filospinato Jake Voelckers
Manassas, VA, USA   USA
THIS. This is why I frequent this site. Excellent info and pictures to explain. Thank you, Curtis.

AlasCrag Avatar
AlasCrag A Campbell
ABERFELDY, PERTHSHIRE, UK   GBR
Some years ago I asked AH Spares about the check straps and referring to their photo they advised:

"As you can see in the picture the early one has less on it and the arm has a shallower curve.
You may be able to use our DRF142 to replicate the early type.
The early cars door hinges were flat and the part of the hinge that attached to the door was mounted on a platform on the door shut, the later cars had the hinge bolted direct to the door so the angle at which the hinges operate between the early and late are different and so are the check straps."

Hopefully of some assistance.

Attachments:
AH100 Door Check.jpg    12.6 KB
AH100 Door Check.jpg

jhc928 Avatar
jhc928 john curtis
bungay, england, UK   GBR
Can anyone tell me where I can get the sprung steel pieces that go on the rollers in the strap assembly on the early type ? To repair my broken ones.

Healey2 Avatar
CA, USA   USA
John,

I don't believe that anyone makes these as a reproduction part. Alternatives are to find an original that is not broken, or figure out how to repair the broken one with new spring steel.

I would have thought that if anyone made this part it might have been Kilmartin. I have been restoring Healeys for 30+ years and have had to repair and sometimes re-manufacture parts myself. Some years ago I made a limited run of the then unavailable BN1/2 overrider bolts (exact copies), and lost money on everyone! I was asked to make more and just said no, so friends approached Kilmartin and they decided to make them.

Maybe someone could contact a small engineering firm that may be willing to do a limited run, 20, 30 or maybe 50 sets? However the expense and market may not support this option.

BTW, the original ones I shown in my photo were sold to a friend restoring an early BN1 years ago.

Cheers,

Curt

Healey2 Avatar
CA, USA   USA
I spoke with Michael Salter today.regarding the early check straps and he has a source of spring steel to rebuild the friction plates. He most likely will rebuild these for anyone if they need.

Additionally, he says that he has some limited parts on hand that he would be willing to sell, although I personally would rather have the parts available rebuilt first, and any good used parts go to those who have none at all.

I do this in my own restoration business where I've had customers want to buy a trafficator switch outright when it turns out I ended up rebuilding their original at much less, almost half the cost, thus saving valuable and sometimes irreplaceable original parts, not to mention saving them money.

Contact Michael as he stated that he could help.

Cheers,

Curt

Triggerfish Avatar
Triggerfish Andrew Dineen
Earth, North Wales, UK   GBR
Were the early check straps originally painted body colour, or were they plated?

Mine are too corroded to tell.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1958 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links