AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bulkhead Layout on 100/4
  This topic is about my 1955 Austin-Healey 100
welshjohnthebox John Reed
Newmarket, suffolk, UK   GBR
Can anyone help me with the route the tachometer drive should take on my RHD 100/4
Can anyone either sell me a layout plan or advise me where the drive enters and leaves the bulkhead preferably with picture
On my car the previous user had bodged the bonnet catch and used the hole which is for the bonnet pull for teh tachometer drive. Having fitted a proper catch, I now need to re-run the cable but cannot see where it passes through the bulkhead.
Thank you

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
PAN Avatar
PAN Alwyn Keepence
Ipswich, Queensland, Australia   AUS
G'day John,
I don't have a picture readily to hand, but it might not be necessary. The drive cables for the tachometer & speedometer do not actually pass through the bulkhead. They go forward from the instruments, then pass down towards the gearbox and are clamped between the bulkhead and the removable vertical panel that separates the footwell area from the engine. The speedo cable then goes along the gearbox to its drive and the tacho cable continues forward to the drive under the manifolds.
Cheers,
Alwyn
Photo added. Note: no heater fitted to Austin-Healeys exported to Australia.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-12 12:57 AM by PAN.

Attachments:
image.jpg    62.3 KB
image.jpg

simon1966 Avatar
simon1966 Silver Member Simon Griffin
.Madison County, IL, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
1954 Austin-Healey 100 "BEV"
1977 MG MGB
Mine is a RHD car as well and I was able to dig out a couple of shots of the drive cables during the restoration a couple of years back. I assume that this is corrent?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0394.jpeg    45.8 KB
IMG_0394.jpeg

IMG_0396.jpeg    34.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Thanks both, I will try to sort thus over the weekend. Can you buy the clamp or is it something you made up?
Cheers

simon1966 Avatar
simon1966 Silver Member Simon Griffin
.Madison County, IL, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
1954 Austin-Healey 100 "BEV"
1977 MG MGB
The bracket was not there on my car pre-resto, but it was seriously messed with over the years so really have no idea. My restorer installed it, so not even sure if it is 100% correct, but for sure it shows that they don't go through the bulkhead.

RALPHTD0256 ralph scarfogliero
north bergen, NJ, USA   USA
1952 MG TD
pm me at rtyronescarfo2gmail.com. I'll help you with your cable routing problem. ralph

Hi
Many thanks for your replies.
One further question, do I have to remove the gearbox cover to route these or can I get these through without doing so? If I do have to remove, are there any problems I need to be aware of before removing?
Just for the record, only bought this car just before Christmas and am just making sure its ready for the season. I have fitted seatbelts ( wife insisted) and replaced the distributor with an original as that fitted was from an Austin Gipsy!
Car is the same colour as Alwyn's and has had discs fitted to the front and fuel tank has been changed to an outside filler.
Again my thanks to all of you for your help.
John

PAN Avatar
PAN Alwyn Keepence
John,
I think it would be difficult to install the cables with the transmission cover in place. Removal is fairly simple, if the car has a BN1 gearbox the cover is aluminium and a separate steel section over the universal joint has to be removed first. The BN2 has a steel cover. When replacing the cover use foam rubber strips to form a gasket seal with the body and make sure all the screws are secure.
Cheers,
Alwyn

Hi
Yes I have taken the cover off and will replace the rubber strips. I have ordered a replacement speedo cable as that fitted was obviously for a LHD which is about two and a half feet too long. But all in all the job will be completed in the next couple of days
I appreciate your help with this. Up to now I have been working on my MG TC from 1949 (over four years) and now I am taking my first steps in restoring this 100/4,

PAN Avatar
PAN Alwyn Keepence
John,
Glad to be of assistance! I would be surprised if there was a difference in length of the cable between LH & RH steer cars. By the way, only plebs say 100/4! Those of us in the know stick to “100”!
Cheers,
Alwyn

OK, it’s 100 from now on! I told you I was new to this!
When I talked to a couple of suppliers in the U K there are different cables dependant on right or left hand drive for the speedo cable. In my case the cable was two foot longer than required so was promised probably not for this car at all!
The ne more item I’d welcome your info on is the fresh/cold air control. Any chance of a picture showing the connection and run of the cable under the bonnet? The picture from Simon in the US shows the control fitted under the dashboard. I’ll have to buy the bracket and the cable. My car has an old coat hanger wire as the control which just pokes through the bulkhead
Thanks once again

Cheers

John

Zotch Tony M
Ashby de la Zouch, Leicestershire, UK   GBR
Hi Simon,

I am in the process of converting my 100 to RHD and figuring out what goes where.

Referring to your underdash picture - is the bracket from the bulkhead that supports the air control the same one that goes to the central screw in the face of the dashboard?

Thanks in anticipation, Tony

Zotch Tony M
Ashby de la Zouch, Leicestershire, UK   GBR
Doh!

Just seen Alwyns post in 'underdash confusion' so I think I have my question answered.

Ins't this forum a brilliant resource?

Tony

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1956 Austin Healey 100 Six

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links