Chasing history of my 100

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Mezzo Eric Metzner
Bretten, Baden Württemberg, Germany   DEU
Still struggling with the history of my resto project, a 100 built in October 54.
I do only know that the car is out of batch 5044 and has the body no. 5578 in carmine red.
I already tried the BMIHT but they do not have any data related to the batch my car is out.
Unfortunately my engine is not original to the car because it belonged to a 100 made in July 54; body no. 4141, batch?

So my last hope to be able giving my car back it’s identity is that one of you guys is having some information within a private archive.

Any hint or recommendation is welcome.

Best regards
Eric

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
stmiller96 Avatar
stmiller96 s miller
Randy Hicks with the 100 registry should be able to help you. His email is: ahca100registrar@gmail.com

Mezzo Eric Metzner
I will get in touch with Randy. Thanks for sharing his contact data.

Anyhow, if anybody out there is having any information about my car I would be happy. Car has Arizona Title and last known owner in the US was Dan Trollan, CO

BR
Eric

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
simon1966 Avatar
simon1966 Silver Member Simon Griffin
.Madison County, IL, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
1954 Austin-Healey 100 "BEV"
1977 MG MGB
My car, built Oct 54 is out of the same body batch and I was able to get a BMHT certificate, so the entire batch is not lost.I remember reading somewhere that the microfilms were partially damages in a fire and that some cars have lost data. My body number is 5859 so yours must have been from earlier in the month. The chassis number and engine number of your car would have been unified. I suspect that your chassis tag was mounted in the passenger foot well in the interior on one of the side kick panels and long since vanished from the car. I suspect that Randy will be able to give you a range withing which the chassis number fell. But these were shared with other models, so there is not a nice linear relationship between body number and chassis number.

simon1966 Avatar
1953 MG TD
1977 MG MGB
Just had a quick look at Healey Data dot com and this does not help much. There are only 3 Oct 54 cars in that data base, one of which is mine. Your chassis number most likely falls somewhere between BN1L-220108 and BN1-220871, so quite a range, Randy can probably narrow this down a bit, Since body numbers were not used in sequence I suspect all you will ever be able to get is an estimate. It is actually feasible that your earlier body number came out of the factory after my later one. There is a car built 2 days after mine, with a higher chassis number, but a body number almost 200 units before mine.

Mezzo Eric Metzner
Simon,
thanks a lot for your information and I do have the same feeling like you, that I will never be able to find the correct chassis number within the batch. As far as I could investigate batch 5044 contains app. 471 cars. I already found 7 "sister´s" (incl. your car) but as you mentioned, related to inconsistency of chassis no´s, there is no chance to identify my chassis no.

BN1L 220081 -5517
BN1L 220108 -5511
BN1L 220298 -5901
BN1L 220303 -5653
BN1L 220557 -5716
BN1L 220871 - 5856
BN1L xxxxxx - 5902

My only hope is, that there is somebody out there knowing my car from the past, luckily reading this post.

Thanks a lot for your response

BR
Eric

simon1966 Avatar
1953 MG TD
1977 MG MGB
Do you have any history for the car? Previous owners etc? Just curious how far back you can get? On the chassis numbers, minor detail, but mine does not have the L in BN1L as it was a right hand drive car and the L indicates a Left hand drive car. I can get back to the mid 60's for my car as the names of the previous owners were in the UK log book that came with the car when I purchased it back in 1984.

Mezzo Eric Metzner
Simon,
Unfortunately I do have literally zero information about the history of my car. I do know it’s originally from Arizona and was several years in stock at Dan Trollan‘s collection of 3 resto hundreds in Colorado. Dan sold the car to an guy near Vienna (Austria) from whom I bought the car 2 years ago. The guy from Austria was a real rogue that tried to fool me in several ways (but different and long story).

Your car looks great, exactly the color I‘m thinking about for my car. Do you have the actual color code for your color (looks like some kind of Ford Spinnaker blue non metallic ?).

Some more questions:
Which one is the correct chassis tag for our cars? Plastics or metal ones.
What is your car wearing on the trunk lid - Austin of England or Austin Healey. Mine has Austin of England.

BR
Eric

simon1966 Avatar
1953 MG TD
1977 MG MGB
Hi Eric,

I took my car back to the original Healey Blue color, per my Heritage cert as well as a good amount of original paint found up on the fire wall high up behind the dash. The color is really deceptive in photographs as it really changes according to the light and shadow. I don't have the paint codes as it was painted at Fourintune during restoration. When our cars where built the engine and chassis number were united, so they would have had the rounded off metal tag. Here is what I believe to be my original one attached to the passenger foot well (RHD car). Our cars should have reflector pods and it appears really should have "Austin of England" badges on the boot/trunk. I have seen references that say that the Austin Healey badge came at the same time as the reflector pods in Sept 54, but the current concours guide disputes this. My car has Austin Healey badge, I swapped it back in the 80's assuming that the Austin of England badge was wrong. The badge I removed was not only correct, but probably my original one. I need to go look and see if I kept it!

Attachments:
IMG_0390.jpeg    23.5 KB
IMG_0390.jpeg

IMG_0391.jpeg    37.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Healey2 Avatar
Healey2 Silver Member Curtis Arndt
CA, USA   USA
Eric,

I have a very comprehensive list of BN1/2 batch and body number sequences and I can confirm that your body no. 5578 fits well within batch no. 5044. In fact as per my records, the body number range in batch 5044 was from body nos. 5511 through 5982. Understand that this is not an all inclusive listing, and there may be cars on either side of these numbers that are not yet documented.

Regarding you chassis tag, Simon is correct, given you body no. , your chassis is most likely in the 2205XX range which would make it an early unified chassis /engine number car.

Here is a car I know well that is close to yours... BN1-L/ 220567, 1B 205894M (not original), 5044/5848. Note that the engine is NOT original and was changed at some point since it should match the chassis number!

As such you should have the aluminum oval chassis tag, but mounted in the left side foot-well just as in Simon's photos. Also my car 222664, body no. 7197 also has the same tag, and also in the foot-well. It also has reflector pods (sand cast brass versus pot metal) and the "Austin of England" boot badge, and my car was built on Jan. 11. 1955. It is now well documented that the Austin of England badge was NOT phased out with the introduction of the reflector pods, but remained through the end of 1954.

This is ALL well documented in the AH Concours Guidelines.

I've attached a photo of the rear of my car with the original boot badge and reflector pods.

Here's a portion of a little article that I recently wrote on BN1/2 numbering...

Austin Healey 100 Numbering

- The Batch/Body tag was a rectangular aluminum plate that ALWAYS went on the upper right side of the fire wall.

- On early cars (up to the unification of chassis and engine numbers 219001) there were TWO chassis tags, one was just the chassis number on the right side chassis rail. The other was the square plastic tag in the driver’s foot well that listed BOTH the chassis and engine number.

When the oval aluminum tag first was issued (when the engine and chassis numbers were unified), the factory initially placed this metal tag in the foot well where the plastic tag had been. The chassis tag on the frame rail was then eliminated; HOWEVER the two holes for the tag remained until the end of BN2 production.

Some time in late January 1955, the oval metal chassis tag was moved to the firewall below the batch/body number tag. It remained there through BN2 production.

The body numbers were stamped in eight places, first on the batch / body tag, and then on each of the four cockpit rail sections (on the back), on the boot lid prop rod tab, on the left rear side (lip or edge) of the bonnet, and on the left forward lip of the splash apron (this cannot be seen with the bumper in place).

Attachments:
2760.jpg    13.8 KB
2760.jpg

BN1lL 219406.jpg    37.5 KB
7197 Enroute-3.jpg    34.5 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links