Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Luegolover Avatar
Luegolover Steve L
London, London, UK   GBR
Having spent about 3 days rubbing down and polishing my dashboard I am not particularly impressed with the result. I'm tempted to paint it now however, I don't know the paint colours or codes. Dark blue and silver is as much as I have and that seems a little too vague to get going. Does anybody have a better idea on this?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_9005.JPG    73 KB
IMG_9005.JPG

sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
Steve,

If it's an unpainted polished metal dash your looking to do I'd take it to a professional to have it done. They have all the right tools and materials and can polish your dash it a mirror finish if that's what you want.

Luegolover Avatar
Luegolover Steve L
London, London, UK   GBR
Kevin,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure I know what I want with it, a perfect mirror finish may look too much. I felt frustrated with the return after so much effort but looking at that photo now I am starting to like it. I don't particularly like the standard colours with a light blue car either. I could paint it blue but I am not sure that would look that good either.

I would like to know the paint name/code though in case when I walk into the garage and look at it next weekend I don't like what it has become.

The dangers of deviating from the original path are everywhere.
Steve

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Guido36 Avatar
Guido36 Guy C
Ventura, CA, USA   USA
1953 Austin-Healey 100 "Aggie"
Steve

There are several threads on this subject on this forum - use the search tool or google it. Here is one thread;

https://www.ahexp.com/phorum/read.php?4,176617

Your dash looks beautiful but a word of caution - if you go with a polished dash you may not like the result when driving early morning or late afternoon with the top down and the sun behind you....

Guy

Michael Oritt Avatar
LUSBY, MD, USA   USA
Steve--

I'll agree with Guido and keep in mind that though a flashy dash, whether or not shiny, may at first look impressive it will always be the first thing one sees when looking at the interior and just about the only thing you will see when driving.

My car is Carmine red and I found that matching dash to body color was more pleasing than the standard black which, though easy on the eye, looked a bit dull. You can, of course, cover it with leather to match the interior which is a correct though rare option.

Ultimately it is your car.....

Best--Michael Oritt
1954 Austin-Healey 100 (street)
1958 Elva Courier (track) FOR SALE
1959 Elva MK IV sports racer (track)
1961 Ginetta G4 (track)

BobAH100 Bob Markovich
Patterson, NY, USA   USA
Assume the exterior is blue. Is it an early two piece or a later one piece dash? Some early dashes were all dark blue, including the instrument portion. The old codes are extinct, and colors tended to vary anyway based on what was on hand. Suggest checking The Healey Book and other sources, then choosing a deep royal blue you like.

Most 100s had a silver instrument surround; again, a light metallic silver is fine. Some green cars (Spruce Green) had an all spruce green dash, which is what I did, so there’s some latitude here.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1958 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links