Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
AHExp

The 100 Forum

Exhaust size: standard or big bore, does it make a difference?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Luegolover Avatar
Luegolover Steve L
London, London, UK   GBR
I am looking at getting an exhaust for my 100 and am befuddled by the options available and as money is a challenge for me I thought I'd ask for some advice. I have a standard engine and currently have no plans to modify it. I would prefer a stainless system as I don't want to deal with the inevitable problems associated with rust. I was thinking of a standard bore system to mount on to the standard manifold and would like to option of a side exit tail pipe (I have found somewhere that will supply a 90 degree bend for that). The going rate for a standard system is about £250 including tax which is manageable. I remember fitting a large bore system to my Midget when I was a kid and it made no noticeable difference other than being louder and I am not interested in loud.

Should I look at the larger bore systems? Do they make any difference?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
simon62BT7 simon ackers
Tadley, Hants, UK   GBR
Hi, if the engine is standard I would stick with standard bore, although SS not an issue but may get slightly different exhaust note. You won't get any noticable performance improvement. Learnt my lesson when building a 1275 stage 2 for my Sprite using Maniflow manifolds. I visited Maniflow, who were really knowledgeable and advised bore size to match engine tune/manifold.

Its something to do with creating the right amount of back pressure. Higher tune = greater exhaust output, to which you match Manifold and exhaust bore. Complex maths that i can't begin to understand!

I also have a 100/4 kicking out 150bhp into tubular manifold/large bore. Works a treat! Good luck.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-14 05:37 AM by simon62BT7.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1958 Austin Healey 100 Six

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links