Fresh air 4" hose installation tricks

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Michael Oritt Avatar
LUSBY, MD, USA   USA
I need to replace the paper 4" fresh air hose and in the past have had problems presenting it squarely to the metal vent fitting and getting it started.
I have a feeling I am not alone here and wonder if anyone has devised a trick to get the tubing started so that it will slip on without tearing up the inner liner and foil.
I am not up for removing the fender....

Best--Michael Oritt
1954 Austin-Healey 100 (street)
1958 Elva Courier (track) FOR SALE
1959 Elva MK IV sports racer (track)
1961 Ginetta G4 (track)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Healey2 Avatar
Healey2 Silver Member Curtis Arndt
CA, USA   USA
Michael,

The word on the street has it that the supplier of the hoses changed in the recent past, and the hoses are too small to easily fit the metal vent piece.

-C

Michael Oritt Avatar
LUSBY, MD, USA   USA
Wonderful and it's refreshing to know that someone has obviously come up with a way to make a difficult job impossible.

Best--Michael Oritt
1954 Austin-Healey 100 (street)
1958 Elva Courier (track) FOR SALE
1959 Elva MK IV sports racer (track)
1961 Ginetta G4 (track)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Dougie Avatar
Dougie Doug Escriva
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Micheal -

Tom has the best replacement hoses available. I use them on both my street car and race car. They can withstand all solvents and heat without breaking down and you can "man handle" them during installation without damage.

http://www.tomsimport.com/new/parts/parts.asp?sect=9&new=1

BobAH100 Bob Markovich
Patterson, NY, USA   USA
I've heard that Moss has improved the hose so that it's now just slightly larger than before--in other words, finally, the right circumference. But I haven't yet checked for myself. And I've tried soap and all manner of other fiddling, to no avail. But there IS a quick fix for tight hoses. It's simple, invisible once installed, and works like a charm:

Cut a short, roughly 1-inch-long slit, l from the end inward, into the bottom side of the end you'll slide onto the metal fresh-air tube. Slide the hose onto the tube so that this slit portion remains on the bottom, where no one will see it. Then merely position the clamp about 1/8 inch from the end and tighten her down. Admittedly a bit cave-man in nature, but highly effective. And no one but you need know!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1964 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links