Healey 100 brake pedal position

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Zotch Tony M
Ashby de la Zouch, Leicestershire, UK   GBR
Hi all, I am slowly working my way around the rejuvenation of my recently purchased ex USA 100 here in the UK. My latest work has been on the brakes (car still LHD) and I am concerned about the position of the brake pedal- see pics. In my opinion the pedal does not return far enough, as you can see in the pic, there is no way that the fume seal can touch the foot ramp plate and in the other direction it touches the exhaust down pipe on full travel. When the pedal is at rest it can't come further back because fulcrum lever at the bottom hits the foot ramp. Is something amiss here? Surely the fume seal should be in contact with the ramp/floor, not 1" away? Any suggestions gratefully received.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20181129_154254.jpg    32.5 KB
20181129_154254.jpg

20181129_154518_001.jpg    27.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
PAN Avatar
PAN Alwyn Keepence
Ipswich, Queensland, Australia   AUS
G’day Tony,
This is an odd one! The attached photo is from the workshop manual and shows the RH steer brake set up. Could you check the angle between the pedal upright & the lever that acts on the master cylinder push rod. Perhaps it has been modified? Or, the pushrod may be too short?
Cheers,
Alwyn

Attachments:
7F2462E5-9BF8-49B5-9D07-6CD3BBBBCF6C.jpeg    32.3 KB
7F2462E5-9BF8-49B5-9D07-6CD3BBBBCF6C.jpeg

Zotch Tony M
Thanks for your response Alwyn, sorry for the late reply. My solution as I live in the UK is - to change to RHD!
However having removed all of the LHD components I can see nothing wrong with them, certainly nothing that would explain the strange pedal positions.
Just for the record I have taken a comparative photo of LHD and RHD brake pedals and as you can see, the angle between the pedal and the lever is not the same. Also the RHD pedals that I have sourced are the early (weaker?) design. Should I be worried about using that type of pedal, any opinions?
Thanks for any info, Tony

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20190107_153642.jpg    31 KB
20190107_153642.jpg

gladhill1937 Avatar
gladhill1937 Kent Lacy
Chesapeake, VA, USA   USA
If the pedal return spring doesn't pull the pedal back far enough, my guess is a twisted clutch and brake pedal shaft.

Moss page 47 #18

Zotch Tony M
Thanks for that opinion although I am now moving on to the RHD conversion using the early style brake pedal (see pic for the difference). The early type pedal is the lower one.

Has anyone had any problems regarding the perceived weakness of the early pedal eg weld breakages etc?

The factory must have beefed it up for a reason.

Attachments:
20190107_155017.jpg    25.5 KB
20190107_155017.jpg

PAN Avatar
PAN Alwyn Keepence
G,day Tony,
The workshop manual only shows the RH steer brake pedal/ master cylinder set up. I know that LH steer cars have the master cylinder mounted on the engine mount “column” (it took me ages to work out why that column has two unused captive nuts) which is some way forward of the RH position. Perhaps that accounts for the different angle between the pedal and actuating lever? I am not aware of the existence of early & late brake pedals.
I have experienced a twisting of the cross shaft on which the pedals are mounted that Kent has suggested, but this affects the clutch only. The brake pedal assembly simply rotates on this shaft, whereas the clutch pedal uses the shaft to release the clutch.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-07 09:00 PM by PAN.

Zotch Tony M
Hi again Alwyn,

If you look at the two pictures you will see that on the later (upper on picture) pedal, the metal goes right around the tube and is welded all of the way round.

Whereas on the early (lower on pic) pedal, the two pieces are simply butted together and welded. So on the early type there is maybe 1 1/4" of weld compared to 3 times or more length of weld on the later type.

FYI my car is a July '55 BN1 and I do not know when the change occured, however I do know that the factory issued an update telling service agents to fit the later pedal on repair jobs (when existing stocks of the old version were exhausted!!!).

I am just wondering if there is a need to reinforce my RHD pedal before I fit it?

Regards Tony

Albuquerque, NM, USA   USA
I would have to agree with the first answer offered, I believe the master cylinder actuator rod is too short. If you are using the same part for your RHD conversion I would guess you will have the same problem (except for the interference with the exhaust down pipe).

Bill Lawrence
BN1 #554

PAN Avatar
PAN Alwyn Keepence
Tony,
My 100 is a July ‘54 build and my brake pedal is exactly as shown in the workshop manual illustration. We have a LH steer BN1 in our local club so I will have to take a look at the brake pedal at my next opportunity! I am still not convinced that there are “early” & “late” pedals. The pedal on my car seems well up to the job and I have never had any concerns about it’s strength.
Cheers,
Alwyn

fts2 Raf S
Munich, Bavaria, Germany   DEU
There is a service journal on the brake pedal lever alteration:

Attachments:
Brake Pedal Alteration AH100.jpg    39.8 KB
Brake Pedal Alteration AH100.jpg

PAN Avatar
PAN Alwyn Keepence
Thanks Raf S, I am now convinced! You learn something every day.
Cheers,
Alwyn

PAN Avatar
PAN Alwyn Keepence
G'day Tony (and others!)
At a car display last weekend to celebrate Australia Day I had an opportunity to inspect AHOCQ member Tom's LH steer 100. Apart from having the master cylinder lever located to the right of the pedal lever the assembly looked like mine and as shown in the manual illustration. Not reinforced as your pedal appears to be.
What I have discovered is a photo of the pedals on the ex-Jackie Cooper 100S. Although a RH steer car (as all the Sebrings were) the brake pedal appears to be the same as the reinforced LH steer item shown in the Service Bulletin! And the cross shaft appears to be divided, with separate shafts for the brake & clutch. I wonder is this was normal on the 100S?
Cheers,
Alwyn

Attachments:
100S Pedal Shaft.jpg    9.2 KB
100S Pedal Shaft.jpg

PAN Avatar
PAN Alwyn Keepence
G'day again,
I have found a photo that I took at a AHOCQ garage day recently of the pedal arrangement of a 100S that is here in Queensland. The Brake pedal is the same as the ex-Cooper car. The exhaust pipes obscure the pedal shaft so it is difficult to say if it is divided.
Cheers,
Alwyn

Attachments:
IMG_5227.JPG    59.1 KB
IMG_5227.JPG

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1962 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links