Keeping out the rain

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TonyR Tony Robinson
Carnforth, Silverdale, UK   GBR
Our 100 4 does not keep out the rain. And here in Cumbria, we get lots of rain.
The soft top has no gasket between the top rail and the screen, should there be a gasket?
Also, the faster I go, the sidescreens bow out more. Any fix recommended?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RAC68 Avatar
RAC68 Raymond Carbone
NJ, Jersey Shore, USA   USA
Tony,

I’ve always wondered why the Italians can produce some of the best soft tops and have little rain and the British … well, you know.

As far as I understand, there is a seal that attaches to the header (wood frame) and clamps to the windscreen. Without the seal, you are dependent upon a perfect seal between the wood frame header and windshield metal…and you know that will not happen. Either way, you should still dress for the wet as you are still dependant upon weather tight side curtains.

Enjoy the rain

TonyR Tony Robinson
Just found out that I need the rubber gasket on the front of the hood.

I would appreciate if someone out there would post a photo of how the gasket fastens to the top rail of the hood,

Thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RAC68 Avatar
RAC68 Raymond Carbone
NJ, Jersey Shore, USA   USA
Hi Tony,

I had a few conversations with BN1 and BN2 owners and all have indicated the rubber seal (gasket) is installed directly on the header to meet the windscreen. However, all have indicated that with the seal in place, clamping the soft top with too much tension onto the windscreen will commonly lift contact in the center and allow water to enter. In all, they suggest carrying some wide tape and, should rain threaten, raise the top and apply the tape on the outside between the header and windscreen.

Although this seem a less-then-desirable solution, the most common suggestion was to carry 2 sets of rubber coveralls in the boot (driver and passenger) as once the header is sealed there are other areas in which quite a bit of rain will enter.

Take a look at page 277 of a group of BN1/2 articles archived at (http://www.healey6.com/Technical/100%20TECHNICAL.pdf). There are a number of suggestions that apply to the issue you are addressing. Also, the document also contains a large number of suggestions on all aspects or the BN1 and BN2.

Sorry, but I was told it is commonly accepted by owners that you either stay dry and out of the car on rainy days or enjoy the rain,
Ray (64BJ8P1)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-18 11:13 PM by RAC68.

wayneo Avatar
wayneo Wayne Watkins
Sydney, NSW, Australia   AUS
1956 Austin-Healey 100 "Horace"
1959 Triumph TR3A "Trumpy"
1965 Nissan Silvia
1989 Mazda MX-5
It rains in all of England almost always. My solution is to migrate to Australia & bring your Healey with you . I owned my first 100/4 for 10 years & tried to drive with the roof up once . It was pouring with rain & was absolutely useless , so I unscrewed the fittings & threw it in the back of my garage which is where it stayed . It also gives you a little bit more seat adjustment , I found out that if you start to get wet , then you drive faster & the rain blows over your head . For traffic light stops carry an umbrella .

Today in Sydney it was the shortest day of the year mid winter & it was 22 degrees celsius ( about 70 degrees F ) & sunny .

Good luck mate Wayne

Healey100M Randy Hicks
Rehoboth, USA   USA
Hi, you'll never keep all the rain out. :-)

Had a great ride yesterday in a 100S in the rain. Talk about getting wet, but not as bad as expected. :-)

Big smile on my face the whole time.

Randy

TonyR Tony Robinson
The weather over here has been 23C today and not a sign of rain.

This could be our Summer and all down hill next week.

As you guys say, just drive faster and you don't get wet.

Funny thing is..............we have a '57 Morgan +4 that does not leak in the rain.

Oh well,

I would have a big smile on my face driving a 100s.

We are looking forward to seeing one at this year's Goodwood revival.

Here'hoping,

Tony

wayneo Avatar
wayneo Wayne Watkins
Sydney, NSW, Australia   AUS
1956 Austin-Healey 100 "Horace"
1959 Triumph TR3A "Trumpy"
1965 Nissan Silvia
1989 Mazda MX-5
Randy , I envy you , being taken for a ride in a 100S ..... bet you felt strange sitting in your driver's side with no steering wheel .

Brownsclassics Chris Brown
Staffordshire, Stafford, UK   GBR
If you zoom in you will see a centre rod that has been added,most 100-4s suffer at speed with the hood bow lifting in the centre
Side screens-you can drill and tap the pillars and add a bracket,if you google Healey race cars they will be fitted on them
Cheers Chris

Attachments:
image.jpg    39.6 KB
image.jpg

OaklandJake Avatar
OaklandJake John Close
Mt Vernon, WA, USA   USA
Here's a pic of my BN2's side screen. I doubt there's a fix. I'm just posting it for grins. It makes me wonder what Donald Healey and his team were saying and thinking as they came up with this design. Surely the weather equipment was their last priority. Come to think of it, it's my last priority too. Everything else they did was perfect.

Attachments:
IMG_2845.jpg    46.3 KB
IMG_2845.jpg

simon1966 Avatar
simon1966 Silver Member Simon Griffin
.Madison County, IL, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
1954 Austin-Healey 100 "BEV"
1977 MG MGB
That is the special gap that sucks out the cigarette smoke when you are driving at speed.

PAN Avatar
PAN Alwyn Keepence
Ipswich, Queensland, Australia   AUS
G’day Ray64BJ8P1,
Us Brits (I was born there) are a hardy breed. A little water does no harm!
TonyR, the rubber is glued to the vinyl of the hood (soft-top). It will help, but the shape of the screen top rail is important in getting a satisfactory seal.
John Close, I think my BN1 has a better fit between the hood and the side screen.
Cheers,
Alwyn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-24 08:23 PM by PAN.

Attachments:
65EBD2A0-EF9C-487C-8E97-CB758156209E.jpeg    40.3 KB
65EBD2A0-EF9C-487C-8E97-CB758156209E.jpeg

OaklandJake Avatar
OaklandJake John Close
Mt Vernon, WA, USA   USA
Nice Job Alwyn! - Did you bend the side screen metal for a better fit? I don't usually drive in the rain, but still, I don't like soaked carpets. I also like the cosmetic improvement you have achieved. If you wouldn't mind posting more pics and words, that'd be awesome - Thanks - Jake

PAN Avatar
PAN Alwyn Keepence
Ipswich, Queensland, Australia   AUS
G’day John,
I haven’t done anything really. The top was made by Brisbane motor trimmer Jobson & Sons in 1973 and the screens were re-trimmed in the mid ‘80s by my brother (also a trimmer). They are not bent at all. The picture of your car makes me think that the sockets in the top of the door seem to be in the incorrect position, too far from the cockpit surround.
Cheers,
Alwyn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-30 11:51 PM by PAN.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links