Mallory Distributor fitted to a BN2

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Crowthorne, UK   GBR
Hello
I've recently acquired a BN2 that has a Mallory distributor fitted (looking at receipts it was done about 15 years ago)
I'd like to convert to electronic ignition (possibly Pertronix) but I need to know the model/type that's commonly fitted to 100/4s??
It has twin points, no vacuum advance & positive earth/ground.

Any help much appreciated!
Cheers, Adrian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Michael Oritt Avatar
LUSBY, MD, USA   USA
Adrian--

I cannot help you with which Pertronix unit to use but you can of course go to either of the Mallory pickup units--Unilite or Maglite. I have had a Mallory disty with Unilite innards on my car for perhaps 15 years with no issues whatsoever. You will need to use a ballast resistor in the system.

Best--Michael Oritt
1954 Austin-Healey 100 (street)
1958 Elva Courier (track) FOR SALE
1959 Elva MK IV sports racer (track)
1961 Ginetta G4 (track)

Crowthorne, UK   GBR
Thanks Michael - but do you know what type or model Mallory you have fitted?
Or where I can find it on the distributor body?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-09 07:26 AM by adrian paul.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Michael Oritt Avatar
LUSBY, MD, USA   USA
Adrian--

When Mr. Gasket was the distributor (no play on words) for Mallory they had a very helpful online selection page and also a good technical support staff.
I believe there should be a plate on the underside of the body identifying the model. Since you are simply looking for the Unillite or Maglite conversion unit any Mallory seller should be able to find the correct part number for a four-cylinder distributor that rotates in a counter-clockwise direction. I have a spare body and if I go over to my shop today I will be happy to look and report what I find. My recollection as to the model # is: 4532001.

You might also want to contact Jeff Schlemmer at Advanced Distributor--he knows most everything.

Best--Michael Oritt
1961 Ginetta G4 (track)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-09 08:00 AM by Michael Oritt.

Michael Oritt Avatar
LUSBY, MD, USA   USA
Adrian--

I was wrong about the number and if you can read the plate on the distributor shown in the first attachment it says: 2332001. This spare is identical to the one installed in my car.

The second pic shows another Mallory 4-cylinder distributor that came to me when I purchased my Ginetta G4 (Ford 1490 cc-powered) and because of logistics I chose to replace it with a Lucas 23D. I post it simply to show that apparently not all 4-cylinder Mallory units are the same and notice the difference in the flange and oil seal ring as well as the directional cut of the gear that engages the camshaft.

BTW though I carry a replacement rotor and module with me in my spares kit when I am travelling any substantial distance I bring along the spare distributor so I will not have to make a roadside repair involving small bits that invariably disappear when dropped. I also bring along the spare drive dog, knowing that if I have it I will not need it.

Hope this helps.

Best--Michael Oritt
1961 Ginetta G4 (track)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-09 01:07 PM by Michael Oritt.

Attachments:
100 distributor pic.jpg    29.6 KB
100 distributor pic.jpg

Two Mallory's.jpg    38.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Crowthorne, UK   GBR
Brilliant Michael - I can read xx32001 on mine so that's good enough to sort out the ignition unit & spares etc.
Cheers, Adrian

BobAH100 Bob Markovich
Patterson, NY, USA   USA
Moss (and others) sell Mallory distributors to fit the 100-4. Mine came with a Mallory dual-point dizzy just like yours—with no vacuum advance. Worked great with points. Good news: Moss also sells Pertronix ignition modules made especially for Mallory dual-point distributors. I bought two (one for the trunk!), along with a Pertronix 3-ohm distributor. DO NOT GO FOR LOWER OMHMS THAN THAT, OR YOU'RE BEGGING FOR TROUBLE!!!

I've had excellent luck with Pertronix, which has improved considerably from several years ago. On this distributor, the module simply screws in once you pull the points plate--no need to adjust the distance, as you must with many other applications. And wiring is bone-simple: The black wire from the module goes to the negative pole on the distributor, the red goes to the positive pole. Again, though, keep to 3 ohms for the coil (believe the gold Lucas Sport Coil, which works with this ignition, is also 3 ohms). And be sure all grounds are tight; loose grounds put a strain on the module and, in time, will blow it. Good luck!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1967 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links