Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

spinaway Des Spillane
Timaru, Canterbury, New Zealand   NZL
1954 Austin-Healey 100 "Fred"
Does anybody out there know the paint code for a close replica of the paint used on the original Lucas HF1748 horns used on the BN1.
To me it looks like a browny-coppery type of tone ! And perhaps what I call a hammertone finish to it
I may be wrong, but the early Lucas sports coil Model HS12 looks to have the same paint finish.

Any paint info advice appreciated.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Healey2 Avatar
Healey2 Silver Member Curtis Arndt
CA, USA   USA
Hi Des,

I an effort to promote North American Concours, might I suggest that you is invest ($-cheap) in a copy of out Concours Guidelines, available as a Dropbox or CD version, printed for those technically challenged. This and many other questions as to originality are answered, as well as stimulating late night reading for the Austin Healey obsessed.

That being said, and to answer your question from the Guidelines themselves...

• Type: two horns, Lucas type HF1748, in high and low tones.

Color: painted a shade of tan-gold that is slightly lighter than the anniversary
golden beige metallic over the entire horn. (A reasonable approximation of this
color is 1976 Volvo Metallic Beige, code #119; additional black to this formula is
very close to the original color)32. This color is available from NAPA as 53-22162,
1975-77 Volvo, Sahara Beige Metallic. It can be custom mixed into spray cans.

When painting the horns, don’t put the paint on too thick, as the final finish
should have a low-gloss or satin appearance.

• Paint coverage: Most of these “pancake” horns, that appear to have NOT been
restored, look like they were originally painted completely assembled – including
large center dome nut, all screws, ID tags/plates, and hanging bracket. However, a
few examples (some of which are NOS horns, never having been installed on new
cars) have been found where the screws and ID plates look to NOT appear to have
ever been painted. The question of whether ALL of these horns, installed on cars
leaving the assembly line, were completely painted is still being researched.
However, if you find one that you feel is truly in its original condition for your car
and does not appear to have been painted fully assembled, you should carefully
document this with photos and provenance details for your car and then restore it
“as-found/originally” painted.

• Separate tag stamped with part number and date of manufacture.

• Mounting: mounted to a cross-member which also sandwiches the rear lower
flange of the horizontal inner valance.

Cheers,

Curt

Healey2 Avatar
CA, USA   USA
I meant to highlight the text...

• Color: painted a shade of tan-gold that is slightly lighter than the anniversary
golden beige metallic over the entire horn. (A reasonable approximation of this
color is 1976 Volvo Metallic Beige, code #119; additional black to this formula is
very close to the original color)32. This color is available from NAPA as 53-22162,
1975-77 Volvo, Sahara Beige Metallic. It can be custom mixed into spray cans.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
spinaway Des Spillane
Timaru, Canterbury, New Zealand   NZL
1954 Austin-Healey 100 "Fred"
Thanks Curtis
That's very usefull and helpful information re horn paint colour.

Regarding the similarity of that HF1748 horn colour to the colour on the HS12 Sports Coil. Do you feel they are the same colour ?

The more I think about it , the more I feel the HS12 colour maybe a wee bit more coppery tone of colour. My HS12 has very faded paint, but I have looked at a couple of quite original HS12 coils and now would guess at them being darker-coppery !!
Cheers

Healey2 Avatar
CA, USA   USA
Des,

No, I have an early sports coil, and it is "Hammertone" copper and completely different color than the horns.

Cheers,

Curt

jvasabra Jacques Vandevelde
Aarschot, Belgium   BEL
Hello,
I went to a paint shop with a horn in original paint; they scanned the colour and finally the machine matched it ( the closest possible) with : KIA ( car brand) silky beige metallic, BA, D3.
The spray (0.1l) can I purchased also mentions 065637, but maybe it is a code for their paint mixer.
Painted the other one ( black) first and they were a good match; then repainted the second one to have them both identical. Look ok.
A good paint shop will have those small samples on cardboard , so that you can visually compare.
Hope this helps,
Jacques

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1962 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links