Pedal Effort with Diaphragm Clutch

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

cpcooper Craig Cooper
Chico, CA, USA   USA
Anyone running a BJ8 diaphragm clutch with mechanical linkage (BN2 bell housing)? Thinking of going that way with my THIRDFASTESTBN1INWESTERNBUTTECOUNTY project, but don't want to have to work too hard to push in the clutch. I'm told the diaphragm clutch cover is both lighter and has more clamping power. Jury is still out on which flywheel, but I'm leaning toward one of the steel ones from DW. I'm open to other clutch/flywheel options, but car is for street use and I'm not going to spend $1,000 on it. I'm not. I'm just not.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
gladhill1937 Avatar
gladhill1937 Kent Lacy
Chesapeake, VA, USA   USA
Craig, I've been using the BJ8 assembly in my BN2 for 15 years and just put it in another one. It makes all the difference in the world. Use all of the BJ8 parts, flywheel, disc, pressure plate and throwout bearing.

kent

Michael Oritt Avatar
LUSBY, MD, USA   USA
Craig--

I too have a BJ diaphragm clutch on my BN1 though it is hydraulically activated. The pedal pressure to disengage is much less than that necessary on Healeys with hydraulically activated spring clutches, and engages in a smoother manner. I can not see any reason why these benefits would not be present even were you to retain the mechanical linkage.

Best--Michael Oritt
1954 Austin-Healey 100 (street)
1958 Elva Courier (track) FOR SALE
1959 Elva MK IV sports racer (track)
1961 Ginetta G4 (track)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
cpcooper Craig Cooper
Chico, CA, USA   USA
Thanks Michael. I just got my DW aluminum flywheel and am waiting for the BJ8 clutch assembly to be off backorder status. No rush though as I've yet to assemble the many lovely parts that broke the bank. Wish you were closer, I'd beg for a ride in your Ginetta.

Craig

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1965 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links