Red Fiber Washers Leaking

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Greene1948 Ed Greene
Destin, FL, USA   USA
Is there a secret to installing the red washers on the copper gas line connecting the carbs on a BN2 where they don’t leak? I have had the same problem with them on Jaguars also. I have used the red ones and the blacks ones with the same result. My only fix is slightly coating the washers on both sides with permatex aviation sealant. It is gas tolerant but I hate applying anything that feeds gas to the carbs. I always clean all contact areas on the carbs and the lines where the fiber washers make contact and you can only tighten the fuel line bolts so much so as not to strip them. The are not too long and they are not bottoming out.

Thanks for any suggestions!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
F2DF5644-3513-4389-9D43-707622155A5C.jpeg    47.4 KB
F2DF5644-3513-4389-9D43-707622155A5C.jpeg

603000 Daniel S
Addison, IL, USA   USA
Ed,
I had the same problem.
I took a closer look and found the red washer diameter to be slightly too large.
It did not nest into the recess on the brass counterbore in the fuel rail.
I took a file and carefully filed the OD down about .015 inch and it fit in the counterbore well.
No more leaks. Danny

San Jose, CA, USA   USA
If I can, I soak them for a while in a light oil--like WD-40--to soften them up before installation. They sometimes compress after a while, so you need to re-torque. They tend to take a set, so usually can't be reused.

Bob

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Raindog Avatar
Raindog Alan W
Saint Augustine, FL, USA   USA
It is my experience that they will dry out and shrink if the car is not driven. After installing they will swell a bit and then I tighten then down just a touch more. As stated above make sure they are the correct size.
Alan

1955 BN-1
1959 BN-6

Greene1948 Ed Greene
Destin, FL, USA   USA
Thanks to all. I tried soaking in oil but still leaked. Went back to my old failsafe of peramtex aviation sealant.

MarkBD Avatar
MarkBD Mark D
LLandassillio, West Wales, UK   GBR
Hi Ed
Had the same problem when i rebuilt my carbs on my BN1 ended getting the parts from http://sucarb.co.uk/ and found that they are the correct size but they are a little tight when fitting to the banjo bolt which seemed to be the main difference form other supplies and have never had a problem with leaks.

Regards
Mark

Hart70 Charlie Hart
CARPINTERIA, CA, USA   USA
To prevent the leaks at the banjo you need to use bonded seal washers. The washers are sized for 3/8 bspp. Since one side of the banjo is recessed one washer is machined to fit inside. Here is a photo of the parts

Attachments:
Seal Washers.jpg    20.2 KB
Seal Washers.jpg

BANJO WITH SEAL WASHERS.JPG    31.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Greene1948 Ed Greene
Destin, FL, USA   USA
Thank you, can you provide where to get these, part numbers or sizing??

Hart70 Charlie Hart
CARPINTERIA, CA, USA   USA
Ed Greene,
I make up the washers ready to install. One washer in the set of 2 is machined to reduce the dia. to fit inside the banjo. Several sets have been installed and have been leak -free!

Rob Glasgow Avatar
Lompoc, CA, USA   USA
I am using Charlie's seals and there work great. All the replacement red washers I purchased were to big.

Greene1948 Ed Greene
Destin, FL, USA   USA
How do I get a set of these washers?

rjgthomson Robin Thomson
Roswell, GA - Georgia, USA   USA
I am also interested in obtaining some of these washers. I also had some difficulties getting a good seal with the oversized fiber washers a few weeks ago.

thanks

Robin

Rob Glasgow Avatar
Lompoc, CA, USA   USA
I purchased mine directly from Charlie along with his 9 fuse panel. I think you can send him a message directly from his post above. He's a great guy.

rjgthomson Robin Thomson
Roswell, GA - Georgia, USA   USA
great thanks! i will contact him directy

BobAH100 Bob Markovich
Patterson, NY, USA   USA
Just put my rebuilt (and vastly-improved-at-great-expense!!!) 100 engine back in and had the same issue. We discovered that the banjo-fitting gaskets, at least from Moss, are slightly too large in outside circumference to fit inside the recess where they're supposed to snap in with just a smidgeon of effort. The fix: Put them on a tube that fits the inner circumference tightly, spin the tube (and gasket) in a lathe or a drill set up as one, and gently, carefully, and evenly sand off the outside a tiny fraction of an inch, stopping and checking fit until the gasket just snaps into place.

My good and far more knowledgeable friend, Wayne Schultz, came up with this fix and did so elegantly; I would have done the same, though probably a bit less elegantly. Result: No leak (and no need to try and muscle down the banjo bolt, which, into aluminum, is asking for disaster).

Wayne has already talked with Moss' Tech folks, who, we can only hope, were listening and will resize the gaskets to fit. But in truth, this isn't too hard a home-garage fix ...

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1961 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links