AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

UALcaptain Avatar
UALcaptain Mark Cuppernull
Winchester, VA, USA   USA
1954 Austin-Healey 100 "Tilly"
My recently purchased 1954 BN1 is missing its metal body/batch number plate normally located in the engine compartment. Photos of the car during its restoration in 2011-2012 show the bare metal plate in its correct location on the firewall. The chassis plate is not below it on the firewall, and is now in the driver's footwell which I believe is correct for the car's build date of 10 Sep, 1954. I don't know why the body/batch plate wasn't reinstalled after paint, and am not likely to locate it from the former owner or the restoration shop. I have the body number (5334) from the Heritage Trust certificate. Two questions ... 1) Is it possible to ascertain the correct batch number? 2) Does anyone make a reproduction plate that I could stamp with the correct numbers? The car/chassis number is BN1-L/2191XX. Thank you for any help!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
gladhill1937 Avatar
gladhill1937 Kent Lacy
Chesapeake, VA, USA   USA
I believe your batch number should be 4965......

PAN Avatar
PAN Alwyn Keepence
Ipswich, Queensland, Australia   AUS
G’day Mark,
I agree with Kent that your car was in batch number 4965. I maintain the Club Register for the Austin-Healey Owners’ Club of Queensland and I have several cars in that batch, with body numbers both lower & higher than yours. The unified chassis/engine number also fits into the sequence.
Cheers,
Alwyn

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
UALcaptain Avatar
Thank you both! I concur. I searched a UK based registry and came to the same conclusion ... 4965. Now to find a correct plate and stamping method. Cheers!

UALcaptain Avatar
On a side note, the family of the original owner sent me this photo of their father, taken on the day he picked up the car in New York Harbor in 1954.

Attachments:
B022CEF5-74B2-4334-A942-48BE57A2FD97.jpeg    38.4 KB
B022CEF5-74B2-4334-A942-48BE57A2FD97.jpeg

Healey2 Avatar
Healey2 Silver Member Curtis Arndt
CA, USA   USA
Mark,

I too can confirm that your batch number is 4965.

The known cars in your batch number 4965 range from body no. 5040 through no. 5505 or 465 cars.

The last known body no. (from my personal records) in the batch prior to yours is no. 4974. The first known body no. in the batch after yours is no. 5511. Therefore, there could conceivably be as as many as 536 cars in batch 4965, but not likely as there are a few either side in the other batches.

If anyone can add a car or two to this list, it could help me make a more accurate list of the cars in all the batch numbers. I keep a fairly comprehensive list of ALL BN1/2 batch numbers and the known range of cars in each. It would be nice to expand this list. For example, I don't have a lot recorded for batch no. 4550 and body nos 1500 through 2000. So if you have a car in this body number range, I'd love to hear from you.

FWIW, the least number of cars in a batch is two (2) cars for batch no. 4106 pre-production cars AHX-9 and AHX-11. The most is 963 cars for batch no. 4667... body nos. 2544 through 3507. (Currently known from my list.) Most batches were in the 400 to 500 car range.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Curt

UALcaptain Avatar
Thank you, Curt!

Healey2 Avatar
CA, USA   USA
You're welcome Mark.

BTW I'm a 777 pilot for AA out of LAX. What and where do you fly?

Curt

Ray N Avatar
Ray N Ray Noble
Hatfield, Hertfordshire, UK   GBR
Mark great car and good choice !
I purchased a 100/6 Bn6 1958 back in March this year and posted a similar inquirey as yourself , missing batch number and body number plate
I got one reply from Ian Young Canada ,who was incredible helpful , unfortunately I wasn't able to get to find the true batch number , but I haven't given up with my research , but at present excepted the same number as
Ian's car.
I purchased a new chassis plate as mine was missing also, after some restoration done in the 80's I stamped it with a set of letter and number stamps I bought on eBay as for the batch number and body number plate I made from aluminium , to the sizes given to me by Ian young and with some auntique numbers from America , I was able to replicate the plate
The numbers look quite good and as close as I can get to the original font, it took considerable time to acquire these numbers , And would be happy to make one for you when your sure of the correct numbers and if you know my plate size ? Mine was 3/4" w x3.1 /16 L 1/16 thickness
Regards Ray.
Ps there are companies that replicate the chassis plate and engine plate if you need link let me know

UALcaptain Avatar
Curt ... small world! I'm on the Bus in DC. Flew the Tripple for five years ('98-'03) out of JFK - mostly to London and Buenos Aires - fun!

UALcaptain Avatar
Ray ... thank you for your very kind offer! I will research sizes and get back to you.

UALcaptain Avatar
Good news ... the data plate is actually still attached to the firewall bulkhead. I did not notice it until the car was delivered recently because the restoration shop painted over it (!). I will attempt to remove the plate and restore it to original condition. Nice to see that everyone was correct about the batch number being 4965. Thanks again, everyone for your kind help!

Attachments:
62D2DBF3-3A7F-4472-A7EF-4AA8423A106A.jpeg    22.7 KB
62D2DBF3-3A7F-4472-A7EF-4AA8423A106A.jpeg

Healey2 Avatar
CA, USA   USA
Mark,

FWIW, the batch/body tab should be painted body color. The restoration shop did it correctly.

That being said, the numbers don't look to be original, they look too small and I suspect that this plate may have been re-stamped sometime in the past.

Take a look at the font size and style of this original tag...

Curt

Attachments:
IMG_1921.JPG    30.1 KB
IMG_1921.JPG

Ray N Avatar
Ray N Ray Noble
Hatfield, Hertfordshire, UK   GBR
Hi curt
The plate size on my 100/6bn6 is 3.1/16 inch long x3/4 inch width the number height should be 1/4 inch
From the image the font is correct you can't fake the number 5 very easily , as I can't find a stamp anywhere like that with the slight dog leg downwards
This tag is original the correct stamping offset and positioning all correct from my research
Ray

PAN Avatar
PAN Alwyn Keepence
Ipswich, Queensland, Australia   AUS
G’day Ray,
I’m afraid I agree with Curt. And Curt, the stamping on that body number tag is the neatest I have ever seen. One thing that can’t be imitated is the inept way most of these plates were stamped. A job assigned to the first year apprentices perhaps?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Austin Healey 3000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links