AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

UALcaptain Avatar
UALcaptain Mark Cuppernull
Winchester, VA, USA   USA
1954 Austin-Healey 100 "Tilly"
So, just to be clear, the body/batch number plates were attached prior to factory paint, and should be the color of the body?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Ray N Avatar
Ray N Ray Noble
Hatfield, Hertfordshire, UK   GBR
Guys sorry for the confusion I only saw the second image stamped on aluminium , alongside the chassis plate which I agree is correct, but the other image I found today painted red is not correct
Ray

Healey2 Avatar
Healey2 Silver Member Curtis Arndt
CA, USA   USA
First, to re-answer Mark's question, the batch body tags were ALL attached at Jensen before the cars were painted. Therefore they are all body color. In fact when the tag is removed, one should see the dark brown primer underneath.

Secondly, the size and font of the lettering remained consistent, with some minor variations, over the 3 years and 14K+ cars produced. This was we believe in part due to the individual stamps in question. e.g., some of the numbers appeared to have been changed slightly due either to the original stamp being lost, worn out, or broken.

Several years ago I helped Michael Salter at his request to help and identify all of the body numbers from "0" through "9". In fact, as best I can recall, I sent him a number of 'tracings" for his reference from 1953, 1954, 1955 and possibly 1956.

I've attached a pdf of some of the batch/body no. tags I have in my reference data. As you can see, the font type and size remained consistent throughout BN1/2 production.

Cheers,

Curt

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Samples of BN1-2 Batch-Body Tags.pdf    1.25 MB

filospinato Avatar
filospinato Jake Voelckers
Manassas, VA, USA   USA
Interesting reference, Curt, thanks for sharing!
I'm missing the body and batch number tag for my car, though I have an idea of what the batch is. I know I can get it from a BMIHT cert.
Does anyone around have the correct stamps to remake these plates? If not, I plan to CAD the numbers as correctly as possible and have them CNC engraved, or maybe spring for a custom set of stamps. Anyone else need a tag?

Healey2 Avatar
CA, USA   USA
Jake,

If you decide to have a set of stamps made up, let me know and I will help you with good sizes and references for the various numbers.

Curt

filospinato Avatar
filospinato Jake Voelckers
Manassas, VA, USA   USA
Thanks, Curt. If you can give me the overall character height, as well as dimensions for the plate, I would appreciate it. I'll send you a picture of the CAD proofs when I get them drawn up, for your critique.
jake

Healey2 Avatar
CA, USA   USA
It might take a few days, but will do!

DTDuck Avatar
DTDuck Dan Marshall
Redwood City, CA, USA   USA
I Believe that Clarke Spares can make you a new plate. I had them stamp my new VIN plate and mage me a new engine ID plate.
http://www.clarkespares.com/

Dan M.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1968 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links