Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
AHExp

The 100 Forum

Spin off oil filter or buy an original set up?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Luegolover Avatar
Luegolover Steve L
London, London, UK   GBR
My car came in a load of boxes and included a rebuilt engine but for some reason didn't include an oil filter. I have been thinking all along that I should just buy one of the new spin-off filter kits. However, I am about it install the engine and so my thoughts on this are a little more focused now and I thought I should ask for opinions on the best way forward.

Should I look to buy a second hand oil filter or should I buy a filter spin off kit?

I should say that I am not interested in building a concours car, just a useable one.

Thanks in advance

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Michael Oritt Avatar
LUSBY, MD, USA   USA
Steve--

Since originality is not an issue I recommend getting a spin-on adapter. The filter is infinitely easier and less messy to change than the original canister type.

Though I have the most common adapter on my engine where the filter is in a horizontal configuration I know that someone makes--or at least made--an adapter where the filter is in a vertical configuration. This allows for neater removal with little or no spilled old oil and also permits you to fill the new filter with oil before installation--always a good thing to do if possible.

Best--Michael Oritt
1954 Austin-Healey 100 (street)
1958 Elva Courier (track) FOR SALE
1959 Elva MK IV sports racer (track)
1961 Ginetta G4 (track)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-05 07:41 AM by Michael Oritt.

San Jose, CA, USA   USA
FWIW, I changed the original filters on both my BJ8 and BN2 to spin-on, and never regretted it. Of course, I kept the originals. Not only are the originals messier, the chance of screwing-up a filter change, with all the O-rings and other parts, is greater than zero (pretty hard to mess up a spin-on).

Bob

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Luegolover Avatar
Luegolover Steve L
London, London, UK   GBR
Thank you both

Leyburn, North Yorkshire, UK   GBR
Totally agree with Bob Spidell, one advantage I've not seen posted here , is the faster build up of oil pressure on starting, the spin off holds less oil. 100% correct decision for a users car, go for it.

BobAH100 Bob Markovich
Patterson, NY, USA   USA
I've had spin-on oil filters on both my 100-Six and my current four-cylinder 100. Absolutely the right way to go for all the above reasons! And even if you discount the greatly reduced chance of error and leaks, you're doubtless getting far better and more reliable oil filtration in the bargain!

PAN Avatar
PAN Alwyn Keepence
Ipswich, Queensland, Australia   AUS
Steve, I have fitted a spin-on oil filter to my 100 because I got fed up with warm oil dripping off my elbow when changing the original element. But mine seems to leak and attempts to cure this have failed. Maybe modern cars with spin-on filters run at lower oil pressure than our Austin engines do?
I am thinking of going back to the Purolator/Tecalemit type filter.
Cheers,
Alwyn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-13 12:12 AM by PAN.

BobAH100 Bob Markovich
Patterson, NY, USA   USA
I’ve had two Healeys with spin on filters—a 100-6 and my current 100–with no issues. I’d check whether you have the right filter, whether you lubed the gasket before tightening down, and whether you tightened it no more than one turn after the gasket base contacted the mount.

Also check that the mounting base was properly tightened. If in doubt, consider removing it, putting in a new gasket WITH sealer, and remounting. Remember that an I’ll-fitting filter may screw on, but have the wrong pitch and won’t seal.

Good luck!

Michael Oritt Avatar
LUSBY, MD, USA   USA
Alwyn--

Also be sure that when you removed the old filter the O-ring gasket came away with it.
On one occasion after changing oil and spin-on filter I had a serious leak on start-up.
Can you guess what I found when I removed the new filter?

Best--Michael Oritt
1954 Austin-Healey 100 (street)
1958 Elva Courier (track) FOR SALE
1959 Elva MK IV sports racer (track)
1961 Ginetta G4 (track)

Leyburn, North Yorkshire, UK   GBR
Stick with it my friend, you will find I'm sure something very simple is causing the leak, I'd start by trying to determine exactly where the leak is coming from, ie, is it the filter seal, or perhaps the adaptor block thats bolted to the cylinder block, if there is could be just a little speck of old gasket thats not been scraped away, or even a deep machining mark, or scratch/ gouge that the gasket cannot cope with, and may need a thicker, or two gaskets and sealer. Good luck, but don't give up, you've made the right decision.

Luegolover Avatar
Luegolover Steve L
London, London, UK   GBR
Well I'm not going back now, I only fitted it last weekend!

Attachments:
IMG_9180.JPG    32.1 KB
IMG_9180.JPG

IMG_9178.JPG    49.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Luegolover Avatar
Luegolover Steve L
London, London, UK   GBR
Actually, I should say that I am a little troubled by the fact that the made in Poland label is facing up. I think Donald will be turning in his grave.

Vintage n Classic Avatar
Vintage n Classic Silver Member Geoff Golding
Nelson, Tasman, New Zealand   NZL
Spin on oil filters are the way to go!........................If installed correctly with a clean seat and a little oil on the rubber seal before fitting and firmly tightened up there should not be leaks from the filter. But possibly from the mounting on the block if not sealed with a gasket.

There is comment above about draining back leaving the engine without oil on start-up, and after a long period of the car in "hibernation". Of course there is more drain back with the passing of time. To prevent this I have always used (available in Aust and N.Z. - not sure further afield) a RYCO Z170 spin on filter with an anti drain back valve. Possibly available via the internet if not at your local parts store.

After a long period of "hibernation" (our 100 Healey), as was the case recently (we were away for 7 weeks), I hit the starter and instantly the oil gauge sprung into life - remembering the gauge is the highest point on the oils path around your Healey engine. There is no other brand of filter in my mind for your Healey or any classic car.

Cheers
Geoff g

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-15 02:24 PM by Vintage n Classic.

PAN Avatar
PAN Alwyn Keepence
Ipswich, Queensland, Australia   AUS
Thanks Bob & Michael, the tip about the pitch is helpful.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1957 Austin Healey 100 Six

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links