Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Triggerfish Avatar
Triggerfish Andrew Dineen
Earth, North Wales, UK   GBR
Has anyone managed to change the lock barrel in the Trunk/boot handle?

Doesn't look possible to me

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
UALcaptain Avatar
UALcaptain Mark Cuppernull
Winchester, VA, USA   USA
1954 Austin-Healey 100 "Tilly"
Following.

Triggerfish Avatar
Following what, Mark?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
UALcaptain Avatar
UALcaptain Mark Cuppernull
Winchester, VA, USA   USA
1954 Austin-Healey 100 "Tilly"
I am missing keys to my BN1 trunk. The ignition key does not fit, so I suspect that at some point the trunk barrel was swapped. I am following your post to see what my options are.

Triggerfish Avatar
Ah! Yes, I suspect the same.

Seems a bit extravagant to have to renew the whole mech. Mine has a bit of patina about it and is no doubt better quality than the repro items available.

Also, I'd like to have one key for both ignition and boot

filospinato Avatar
filospinato Jake Voelckers
Manassas, VA, USA   USA
Swapping out the barrel is the easiest part, you have to drive out a knurled pin and the barrel falls/pulls out. If the key isn't in it when you pull the barrel out, the tumblers may fall out.
Moss lists the same barrel and key assembly for all models of big Healey. The pictures I took tonight are of a 100/6 assembly where the square key that actuates the latch is broken off.
Hope this helps.

Attachments:
20190211_193059.jpg    26.6 KB
20190211_193059.jpg

20190211_193630.jpg    36.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
filospinato Avatar
Manassas, VA, USA   USA
I should add that it's also not too difficult to make a barrel match a key, as long as you have a spare to use for the different tumbler depths. The OE stuff is better, newer repro tumblers aren't as crisp or nice.

Triggerfish Avatar
Thanks, Jake,

From your photos, that looks straight forward.

My problem has been I couldn't see if the brass cover was removable. I'm assuming from the photo that it just prise off?

filospinato Avatar
Manassas, VA, USA   USA
That little cup at the end, on the square shaft, is held in place by a couple of stakes in the shaft. I filed them down and was able to draw the handle assembly out of the mount, you can kind of see the bring spots on the broken square shaft in the second picture.

Triggerfish Avatar
Right, I've got it stripped to the same point as yours, but the barrel wont release. I

'm guessing this hole hides a sprung rod that refuses to move?

Attachments:
fullsizeoutput_4c52.jpeg    36.4 KB
fullsizeoutput_4c52.jpeg

filospinato Avatar
Manassas, VA, USA   USA
That's the pin you need to drive out, it's in the picture just above the hole. It only comes out one direction, one side of the pin is flat knurled (see attached ref pic). I used a finishing nail to tap it out.

Attachments:
Pin.JPG    9 KB
Pin.JPG

Triggerfish Avatar
Got it! Destroyed the pin in the process, but I'm sure I can improvise a replacement

The problem I have now is the barrel in the boot lock is different from the ones commonly available. The tumblers don't appear to be removable, so switching them doesn't seem to be an option.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-12 12:53 PM by Triggerfish.

Attachments:
fullsizeoutput_4c53.jpeg    114.7 KB
fullsizeoutput_4c53.jpeg

Qldelsie Silver Member Giles Cooper
Benowa, Queensland, Australia   AUS
I just took the complete lock down to my local locksmith, and 24 hours later he had made 2 keys for it. Much simpler !!!

https://austin-healeypekingtoparis2019.blogspot.com.au/
https://www.facebook.com/austin.healey.73113?

filospinato Avatar
Manassas, VA, USA   USA
The wafer tumblers tap out from the other side of what you're showing in your picture. There's a tiny spring in each of those little round holes that loads each tumbler, can post a pic tonight if you're interested. I've re-keyed my own locks and ignition switches by swapping around tumblers, it's pretty easy if you have a key you want to use.

Triggerfish Avatar
Thank, I've had another go and managed to remove the leaves. I wasn't using enough force as it turned out.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Austin Healey 3000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links