Very early BN2

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

RoyC Roy Crowninshield
Asheville, NC, USA   USA
I have a very early production BN2 that I bought disassembled. The body batch from which the car was built was apparently use to build the very last BN1s as well as the the very first BN2s. The rear body does not have plinths to mount the rear reflectors on. Although the BN2 transmission mounting are present on the top of the frame rails the the cross member on the frame to attach the tie rod under the transmission is not present. I looks like this BN2 was build with only part of the transmission mounts and without rear reflectors. Does anyone have any information about variations in the early BN2 production or similar observations about early BN2s????

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
gladhill1937 Avatar
gladhill1937 Kent Lacy
Chesapeake, VA, USA   USA
I have a very early production BN2 that I bought disassembled

I think this is the key to what you have. Since the first BN1 with reflectors was a late 1954 vin # 221310, body # 6128, batch 5090, my guess is that you have an early BN1 rear body panel.

Kent

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-01 02:29 PM by gladhill1937.

PAN Avatar
PAN Alwyn Keepence
Ipswich, Queensland, Australia   AUS
G’day Roy,
Do you have he chassis number of your BN2? The best information available gives ch no 228047 as the first BN2, built in August 1955. As Kent has said, the reflector pods had been fitted to Austin-Healeys for about 12 months by this time.
Cheers,
Alwyn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-04 07:34 AM by PAN.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RoyC Roy Crowninshield
Asheville, NC, USA   USA
It looks like the rear body is from an earlier BN1. Thanks for the information.
The Chassis number for my car is 228359, the body is 10255. If the first BN2 was 228047 and if all the in between engine numbers were use then my car was the 313th car built. I read somewhere that all engine numbers were not necessarily use to build Healey’s, some ended up in taxis or other cars types.
Is it known what the body number was for the first BN2, car 228047? Were the body numbers used consecuatively?

Healey2 Avatar
Healey2 Silver Member Curtis Arndt
CA, USA   USA
Roy,

Yes, chassis and engine numbers were allocated to other BMC cars.

Also, the Austin Healey body numbers were somewhat consecutive and are at times a better indication of the build time frame, however not always.

Now in regards to your car, chassis number no. 228359, body no. 10255. The first BN2 body number was 10031, so your car is most likely the 194th BN2 built, or there about. No one can be certain.

As a side note to let you all know how crazy this can get, the first production BN1 was body no. 24. Now if there were 20 pre-production cars, why wasn't the first production car body no. 21?

Simple, the first batch of four cars were loaded from Jensen onto a four car lorry (truck) starting with body number 21 and ending with body no. 24. The were off loaded at the BMC factory at Longbridge with no. 24 coming off first, so therefore the first car through the production line, and the first production Austin Healey. We have to assume if body number 21 is ever found (not likely) that it's the fourth production car. You have to love this stuff.

Cheers,

Curt

Healey2 Avatar
CA, USA   USA
Correction as I did the math wrong, the 224th BN2 built, give or take a few.

10255 - 10031 = 224

Curt

Trevor Parker Avatar
Trevor Parker Silver Member Trevor Parker W
Sidney, BC, Canada   CAN
1954 Austin-Healey 100 "Healey Beep Beep"
1955 Austin-Healey 100
Hi Roy it looks like the numbers jump around a bit. I have a early BN2 as well. My chassis number is 228233 batch and body number 5487 /10279. I calculated it's roughly the 258 car built give or take. It has reflectors and a four-speed transmission. I have a lower chassis number but a higher body number, strange . Cheers Trevor

Healey100M Randy Hicks
Rehoboth, USA   USA
Ahhh Curt, weren’t there only 19 pre-production cars built? AHX-10 with (b. 11?) was believe never built. (Piggott)

AHX-11 (Turin Show Car) has body #10).

No records exist for AHX-10 or b. 11. If AHX10 was never built, or body #11, there would only be 19 Pre=production 100'.

Am I missing something?

Randy

Healey2 Avatar
CA, USA   USA
Randy,

Yes, 19 pre-production cars.

However the last pre-production car was AHX-20, and there in lies the confusion. I can see how this would be confusing, especially since the original Earls court car with the body built by Tickford's is never really counted in the mix (the 19 pre-production cars had bodies built by Jensen). Add this car and you might be able to argue 20 cars, but not really. Bottom line, I mistakenly said 20 only because the last car was number 20. My bad.

As I mentioned, the smallest batch had only two cars, AHX-9 and AHX-11. AHX-11 was actually originally stamped 10 and then a 1 stamped over the 0 to make it an 11. It is pretty much agreed that AHX-10 was never built.

FWIW...

Batch no. JM 4021 - AHX 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Batch no. JM 4079 - AHX 5, 6, 7 and 8.

Batch no. JM 4106 - AHX 9 and 11.

Batch no. JM 4134 - AHX 12, 13, 14 and 15.

Batch no. JM 4135 - AHX 16, 17, 18, 19 and 20.

Curt

Attachments:
JM 4106-11.jpg    7.4 KB
JM 4106-11.jpg

Healey2 Avatar
CA, USA   USA
FYI,

As long as we're getting into minutia, let me correct another mis-statement...

"We have to assume if body number 21 is ever found (not likely) that it's the fourth production car. You have to love this stuff."

The first four production cars were batch no. JM 4136.

Body 24, chassis no. 138031... The first production BN1.

Body 21, chassis no. 138032

Body 22, chassis no. 138033

Body 23, chassis no. 138034

So given these facts, body no. 23 was the fourth production car built.

Curt

simon1966 Avatar
simon1966 Silver Member Simon Griffin
.Madison County, IL, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
1954 Austin-Healey 100 "BEV"
1977 MG MGB
Is it correct to assume that the batch numbers that are missing in the sequence were jobs for other clients of Jensen? Who else were they working for at the time?

Healey2 Avatar
CA, USA   USA
Simon,

I would not make that assumption.

Cheers,

Curt

DTDuck Avatar
DTDuck Dan Marshall
Redwood City, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 207231 by PAN G’day Roy,
Do you have he chassis number of your BN2? The best information available gives ch no 228047 as the first BN2, built in August 1955. As Kent has said, the reflector pods had been fitted to Austin-Healeys for about 12 months by this time.
Cheers,
Alwyn
Roy,

I have a very late 1955 BN1 (BN1L225433) Batch # 5267, Body # 8804 and my car never had the reflector plinths and has the 3-speed gearbox. It also should have had the hypoid diff, but had the spiral-bevel unit. I have assumed that it was probably swapped out sometime early in its life, but who knows, maybe the factory had one sitting around that they wanted to use up.

Cheers,
Dan M.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1970 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links