Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mk31755 Avatar
mk31755 mark kriwinsky
cleveland, OH, USA   USA
yesterday I got my healey out of her bubble and unhooked the trickler. . It was 70 degrees in Cleveland, Ohio. I unzipped the bubble, and turned off the cut off switch in the trunk and turned the key.....listening for the fuel pump to start clicking away. It was very sweet to hear that sound. She started right up. I have been working over the winter on making the proper ruby red bumper buttons for the front gravel pan. I took the bumper off, removed the incorrect little black buttons I had used and replaced them with the nice translucent ruby red bumper buttons I had been working on. Everything went very smoothly. I took her for a quick spin around the block, cleaned off the grungy battery cables (what a mess) and put her back in the garage. We are ready for the nice weather.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Vintage n Classic Avatar
Vintage n Classic Silver Member Geoff Golding
Nelson, Tasman, New Zealand   NZL
Like you Mark our "girl" (our 100/4) was filled with fuel and taken on a 75 mile run up the western side of Tasman Bay New Zealand which is located on the top of the South Island. It's a few weeks since our Healey was stirred from her slumber in "The Shed" (due to visitors from Australia and a trip away ourselves) where she resides with a couple of other cars (one being a Riley Elf).

The day was cool and clear, not a cloud in the sky and no wind and approx. 18 degrees C - the sort of day you read about in books. Our route took us up the "inland route" through Upper Moutre (a quaint village with the oldest pub in N.Z - we resisted the temptation for a "tipple"winking smiley in an area which is devoted to agricultural pursuits, on to Motueka which has a population of approx. 20,000 folks, again agricultural pursuits (fruit and hops) a pause for a coffee and chat then home via the Coastal road.........virtually no traffic and the car was running beautifully the motor was singing out the 2" tailpipe as we clipped along at something just under and over the 100klm speed limit. Its days like this that don't come that often given we are on the back end of Autumn..............as I said to a friend - BLISS!

cressy21 David Cressman
Breslau, ON, Canada   CAN
1956 Austin-Healey 100 "Money Pit"
1956 Austin-Healey 100
I picked up my new tires(Vredestein) which were installed and balanced on new 72 chrome spoke wire wheels (15 "x 5"winking smiley this past weekend. Looking good! Also hopefully installing new headlight (halogen) headlights and sidelights this week. I have finished the trunk/boot carpet and Armacord as well as most of the cockpit-need to finish doors yet. Still a ways to go but getting closer to getting it out on the road.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
56bn2 Avatar
56bn2 John R
Lexington, KY, USA   USA
Painted my Toyota calipers. Por 15 caliper paint.

Attachments:
IMAG3551.jpg    49.7 KB
IMAG3551.jpg

IMAG3549.jpg    39.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
55BN1 Rob Westcott
BELLEVUE, WA, USA   USA
1955 Austin-Healey 100 "STEWART"
Final coat of primer.

Attachments:
F&F5:25:17primea.jpg    63.1 KB
F&F5:25:17primea.jpg

Vintage n Classic Avatar
I'm unaware of this being done before - if it has I have not seen the results............................

Here in Nelson N.Z. the local Polytechnic (TAFE to the Aussies) have not long ago installed a wheel dyno (rumour has it the cost was in the 100's of thousands of dollars) and via one of the local Austin Healey Owners a number of us had the opportunity to put our Austin Healeys in the machine for a real test.

On the day there were 2X MK I, 6 cylinder cars both older restorations with almost identical modifications i.e. head, electronic ignition and mild cam profiles....etc. There was a 3rd Mk I Healey which has been built up for Racing and Rallying and extensively modified i.e. "the Works" on the engine, disc brakes all round and the list goes on.

Then there was our 100/4 which, as some may recall who read these pages reasonably regularly, will know is modified to the point of being bored out to 2962 cc, and a bunch of other modifications but one of the things that was completed was the cam grind was changed to a "touring grind" which is reflected in the power curve at the top of the graph on the sheet giving the details below.

All 4 cars were run on the Dyno over the course of the morning the 2 X Mk I, 6 cylinder cars recording 84 and 83 H.P respectively at the back wheels, the Mk I with the Race/Rally specs recorded 149 HP at the back wheels with our car recording 94 HP at the rear wheels at 4000RPM............see the sheet attached. Given, according to the owners handbook the H.P. of a 100/4 BN 1 or BN2 is 90 HP at 4000 RPM you have to wonder how the factory achieved these HP figures as I'm sure technology in 1952 or 53 was as sophisticated as it is these days.

This then begs the question of what was the true HP rating of a 100S Healey at the rear wheels? I have seen a phrase of "132 HP (as advertised)" at 4000 RPM.

Question? Has anyone got actual figures taken at the back wheels in relatively recent times for a stock 100/4 and a 100S Austin Healey, as I think the comparisons with the "factory" will be interesting as in all the information I have, the phrase "as advertised" is shown next to any performance figures and the reality will be very interesting given the sophistication of modern equipment and its accuracy.

The fellow at the Polytech indicated that to get a reading at the flywheel you'd add approx 15%, maybe 20% to the figures taken from the back wheels to give a flywheel reading.

All in all a very interesting Saturday morning with a "group of like minded" individuals

Attachments:
Lady on the Dyno July 2017.pdf    897.2 KB

RIMG0011.JPG    59.8 KB
RIMG0002.JPG    49.4 KB
RIMG0013.JPG    61.5 KB
56bn2 Avatar
56bn2 John R
Lexington, KY, USA   USA
I like that valve cover. Who made it?

Vintage n Classic Avatar
hi John,

It came from AH Spares. You can get them in a polished finish or a black crackle paint finish

Cheers
Geoff

Michael Oritt Avatar
LUSBY, MD, USA   USA
Yesterday I attempted to adjust the handbrake engagement, the first step of which is to adjust the rear brakes. I found the adjuster on the right side had a notch or shoulder worn into it and no matter how the brake was adjusted after the brake (hand or foot) was released the upper shoe would nevertheless drag against the drum. Last night I ordered a set of new shoes and adjusters for both sides as if one is worn after only 63 years of service the other cannot be far behind.

Best--Michael Oritt
1954 Austin-Healey 100 (street)
1958 Elva Courier (track) FOR SALE
1959 Elva MK IV sports racer (track)
1961 Ginetta G4 (track)

Michael Oritt Avatar
LUSBY, MD, USA   USA
And today I removed the old shoes and adjusters and installed their replacements.....

Best--Michael Oritt
1961 Ginetta G4 (track)

Luegolover Avatar
Luegolover Steve L
London, London, UK   GBR
I spent the day working on the offside front suspension, slowly getting there.

Attachments:
IMG_7429.JPG    53.3 KB
IMG_7429.JPG

IMG_7434.JPG    41.5 KB
IMG_7426.JPG    45.7 KB
IMG_7439.JPG    41.8 KB
PAN Avatar
PAN Alwyn Keepence
Ipswich, Queensland, Australia   AUS
Michael Orit,
Can you tell me a bit about the procedure to replace the shoe adjusters? I am about to undertake this job on my BN1. The adjusters do not seem to be available from Healey parts suppliers but I have Landrover parts that I believe are identical.

Michael Oritt Avatar
LUSBY, MD, USA   USA
PAN--

My apologies for not responding to this PM sooner but fore whatever reason I did not see it until just now. I don't monitor PM's very well and it would be easier if you sent me questions/responses by email to: michael.oritt@gmail.com.

Having said that, I have never had to replace the adjustors on my car and cannot give you a good answer. I keep my car at a remote location and will not see it till Wednesday of this week, but if you send me an email in the meantime I will respond to yours as best I can after looking at my car.

Best--Michael Oritt

Best--Michael Oritt
1961 Ginetta G4 (track)

Vintage n Classic Avatar
Hi Alwyn,

I have found a number of parts from Land Rovers as identical as with those in our model Healeys..........e.g. Distributors, Starter and Generators......also small Bedford truck parts can sometimes be a replacement

Cheers
Geoff g

simon1966 Avatar
simon1966 Silver Member Simon Griffin
.Madison County, IL, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
1954 Austin-Healey 100 "BEV"
1977 MG MGB
I took it to the St Louis Auto European Auto Show.

Attachments:
SAM_2800.JPG    52 KB
SAM_2800.JPG

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links