Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Luegolover Avatar
Luegolover Steve L
London, London, UK   GBR
I'm using the original switch in my car and installing the wiring but am unsure of what wire to connect to each terminal as there are no markings on the base of the switch. I guess the feed is the only important one but has anyone got any idea on this?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_9308.JPG    27.4 KB
IMG_9308.JPG

MarkBD Avatar
MarkBD Mark D
LLandassillio, West Wales, UK   GBR
Hi Steve just had a quick look at mine and they are wired left to right.
Left - Blue/Red
Middle - Blue (power Feed)
Right - Blue/White
The best way to check is to use a multi-meter, the only correct connection that needs to be right is the common to both which is blue.

MarkD

Luegolover Avatar
Luegolover Steve L
London, London, UK   GBR
Thank you Mark

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Healey2 Avatar
Healey2 Silver Member Curtis Arndt
CA, USA   USA
Steve,

Thanks for that photo, however the installation is incorrect. Let me explain

When the 100s were first designed and produced, the Lucas dipping switch was meant to be installed from the inside of the foot-well with the trapezoidal Bakelite insulator fitting nicely in the trapezoidal hole stamped in the sheet metal. HOWEVER in practice this does no work, and the wires WILL SHORT OUT!

Very soon afterwards, most likely within weeks in 1953, the factory started installing the the dipping switch from the underside of the foot-well. Now. I know this is not how it was designed, but in practice, the original setup did not work, so a quick and easy solution was found on the assembly line. I have looked at literally hundreds of BN1/2s and have NEVER found an original car with the dipping switch installed like you have in your photo.

Trust me on this, I had to show the two other premier Austin Healey Experts in the USA this about 15 years ago and they were flabbergasted. They had asked me why the switch keep shorting out since they had installed it correctly. I've also helped several Austin Healey restoration shops with this issue and at least one already was aware of this and agreed wholeheartedly with me.

When it comes to Austin Healeys... "As designed and specified is not always as manufactured or produced".

I have attached some photos of how the switch should be installed. This is my personal car, and this is how I found the original switch some 30+ years ago, The original dated switch had never been messed with or removed/replaced.

Cheers,

Curt

Attachments:
Dipping Switch-1.jpg    14.4 KB
Dipping Switch-1.jpg

Dipping Switch-2.jpg    17.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Luegolover Avatar
Luegolover Steve L
London, London, UK   GBR
Thank you Curt,

I have a job for the weekend now.

Steve

Luegolover Avatar
Luegolover Steve L
London, London, UK   GBR
Curt,

I took the switch off, did some grinding and refitted the switch as suggested. It looks much cleaner now and I took the opportunity to use a multi meter to work out what wires connect to the terminals. All done.

Thanks for the advice,
Steve

Attachments:
IMG_9392.JPG    26 KB
IMG_9392.JPG

IMG_9398.JPG    29.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links