Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

carrera1955 Robert L
San Salvador, salvador, El Salvador   SLV
Hello friends,

I have moved on to the front end refurbishment of my 100-6. I have removed the four drum brake cylinders to rebuild them but havent figured out how to remove the pistons to get at all of the internals. The car has been sitting for several decades so I am sure they are pretty stuck. The cylinders themselves cleaned up real nice on the outside but the piston doesn't budge. Any suggestions?? thanks much. Bob

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
Robert,

You might try compressed air to pop out the cylinder or a large screwdriver in the brake shoe slot to twist the piston in the cylinder. But if they're frozen they are almost certainly pitted, you can fool around with some rebuild ideas but they'll probably leak anyway. If it were me I'd just replace them, they're cheap.

johnbn6 Avatar
johnbn6 john nieuwenhuizen
kerkrade, limburg, Netherlands   NLD
Don't spent your time trying to get the pistons out. Replace them. The cylinder bore is definitly pitted if they're frozen....

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tstaylor Todd Taylor
Camillus, NY, USA   USA
what kind of quality are new ones?? aren't they all made in china now ? I'm up against the same thing at some point. just wondering if getting a rebuild kit with just the rubber parts would be enough...

sliproc Avatar
Todd,

You can certainly rebuild with new rubber and they will work, however they will also leak. I bought my last ones from VB and they work fine, I don't know if they're from China or not. You can also have them rebuilt by Apple Hydraulics. They resleeve the cylinders with stainless steel, but you have to ship them so there's some turnaround time involved.

carrera1955 Robert L
boiling water worked!!!
thanks guys for your suggestions. Given my budget I was trying to go the least expensive route. The pistons would not budge. I soaked them in wd-40, oil, used a massive screwdriver and nothing.

So, while my wife was gone teaching yoga, i borrowed one of her (our) pots and boiled some water. This is best to do while the wife is out unless you have your own man cave with kitchen. I have a patio with a homemade workbench. So once the water was boiling I put one cylinder in and let is boil for about 10 minutes. I then removed the pot with water and cylinder, and took it out to the patio. I removed the cylinder with channel locks and placed it in a vise. I then used a large screwdriver and began trying to move the piston side to side, but nada. I kept moving the screwdriver back and forth until it budged a little and then after less than five minutes had it out!. I removed the rest of the pieces, rubber cups and spring. The cylinder and piston look great. No pitting and no scratches. 2 down, 2 to go.

I wont give all the credit to the boiling water since I did spray WD-40 down the intakes earlier.

carrera1955 Robert L
Hi Friends,

Another set back. I ordered a rebuild kit for my brake cylinders from Moss Motors, and none of the rubber caps or dust covers fit (see pics below). I’m guessing they sent me the wrong size. The caps on my cylinders say 1 1/8 and the moss caps say 1 . I specifically ordered for my 59 BN6 With disc wheels. My question is, if I had ordered the brake cylinders, would they have fit? It’s easier to be out $14 than $200. Does anyone know if the cylinders Moss sells are compatible with a front drum brake set up that run 1 1/8 inch bore? Thanks much.

Attachments:
773D1F82-2891-4CBB-83FC-51EE858DE78C.jpeg    51.1 KB
773D1F82-2891-4CBB-83FC-51EE858DE78C.jpeg

sliproc Avatar
Robert,

Don't quote me on this, but as I recall there were two different size wheel cylinders(1" & 3/4" I think). I'd just call Moss, I've found them to be very knowledgeable and helpful whenever there's a mix up.

ahchummy Avatar
ahchummy Patrick Quinn
Sydney, NSW, Australia   AUS
Hello

The wheel cylinders for steel wheel cars are smaller diameter than the wire wheel cars. Don't ask why as I don't know, but I had the same problem. The steel wheel cylinders are 7/8 inch and the wire wheel cylinders are 1 in.

Best wishes

Patrick Quinn
Sydney, Australia

carrera1955 Robert L
Thanks all. The problem I have is my wheel cylinders are 1 and 1/8 inch. The one inch cups sent from Moss are too small. The 7/8 would be even smaller.
That’s my quandary. The cylinders appear to be SPR versions made in Australia and the cups are made in the US. Maybe they are from an Austin cab or something. I’ll give Moss a ring today and see what they say. Thanks

carrera1955 Robert L
Update on the front brake work.

I ended up buying the four new brake cylinders. I had an issues with the springs I bought from Moss, which were incorrect, but after calling them, they were very quick about locating the correct ones and sending them to me. Getting the brake shoes and springs on was another story. I had no problem put the old springs on one side, but the new spings took 3 people to tug pull and pry getting them one. I hope they work! thanks again for all of your help. If anyone knows of an easier or more effiecient way of getting new springs and shoes on, please let me know for future reference.

sliproc Avatar
Robert,

You won't be sorry you replaced those wheel cylinders. When I install the brake shoe springs I usually put the first end in the shoe first slot then I use a pair of vice grips on the other end of the spring to pull it into the other shoe slot.

carrera1955 Robert L
Thanks Kevin,
Good point. I think u might be referring to the rear brakes where the spring goes from shoe to shoe.
I was putting together the front drums where the spring goes from the backing plate to the shoe. In this case the spring has to be installed first and then the shoe lifted to seat on the cylinder. The problem is lifting the brake shoe on the final side to get it to slide into place.

1957BN4MFixer Avatar
1957BN4MFixer Rod Shepherd
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1957 Austin-Healey 100-Six "The Beast"
Robert,

To fit the Brake Shoes, install the springs and fit one end of the shoe in a cylinder, then use a long handled adjustable wrench installed at the other end to assist with fitting the free end to the other cylinder. - works for me every time mate.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Austin Healey 3000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links