100-6 front suspension springs

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Sky Driver Dan Heming
Milford, MI, USA   USA
Has anyone replaced the factory installed 100-6 front suspension springs with the BJ-8 setup?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Dougie Avatar
Dougie Doug Escriva
Portland, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 207688 by Sky Driver Has anyone replaced the factory installed 100-6 front suspension springs with the BJ-8 setup?

Yup, direct replacement. I have since increased from the BJ8 400lbs spring to a custom 600lbs spring and now to a custom 800lbs spring on my '57 100-6 MM vintage racer. There's a 1" drop installed aswell. A complete alignment will be needed when your done.

Attachments:
57 Front Suspension direct.JPG    43.8 KB
57 Front Suspension direct.JPG

haasad Avatar
haasad Andy H
Wareham, Dorset, UK   GBR
Dougie,

I've made a set of tie rods that are adjustable like yours so I can experiment with use of an alternative Austin lever arm shock in search of a little more negative front camber .

My question is did you retain an original spec adjustable steering rod or replace that with a fixed length piece ?

Andy

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Dougie Avatar
Dougie Doug Escriva
Portland, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 207792 by haasad Dougie,

I've made a set of tie rods that are adjustable like yours so I can experiment with use of an alternative Austin lever arm shock in search of a little more negative front camber .

My question is did you retain an original spec adjustable steering rod or replace that with a fixed length piece ?

Andy

Hi Andy -

I use the original adjustable steering rod with the addition of shorter Wosley Armstrong lever arms Chris Dommick sourced for me in Australia.

Attachments:
Front view suspension 1.jpg    60 KB
Front view suspension 1.jpg

haasad Avatar
haasad Andy H
Thank you. I have the Wolesley shock's with shorter arms, I'd forgotten the source....anyway I'll continue using the original center rod.
Happy Holidays.

Randy Forbes Avatar
Parrish, FL, USA   USA
1957 Austin-Healey 100-Six
1999 BMW M Coupe "Blue Car"
1999 BMW M Roadster "Black Car"
2001 BMW M Roadster "Gray Car"
At some point during the 80s, these side rods were being supplied by the vendor (Southern Carburettors, maybe?). I've always managed to get the toe set/steering wheel centered with just the center rod, so I've never experimented with how much range the side rods have.

For camber correction, I made these out of UHMW at least a decade ago (>10 yrs) and they're still as snug as when I first put a bolt through them.

Attachments:
IMG_7102.JPG    29.5 KB
IMG_7102.JPG

haasad Avatar
haasad Andy H
In reply to # 207829 by Randy Forbes At some point during the 80s, these side rods were being supplied by the vendor (Southern Carburettors, maybe?). I've always managed to get the toe set/steering wheel centered with just the center rod, so I've never experimented with how much range the side rods have.

For camber correction, I made these out of UHMW at least a decade ago (>10 yrs) and they're still as snug as when I first put a bolt through them.
Nice work ..what's UHMW...?

Rob Glasgow Avatar
Lompoc, CA, USA   USA
IIRC. UHMW Ultra High Moleular Weight Plastic. Very tough and machineable.

Randy Forbes Avatar
Parrish, FL, USA   USA
1957 Austin-Healey 100-Six
1999 BMW M Coupe "Blue Car"
1999 BMW M Roadster "Black Car"
2001 BMW M Roadster "Gray Car"
In reply to # 207834 by Rob Glasgow IIRC. UHMW Ultra High Moleular Weight Plastic. Very tough and machineable.
Ding! Ding1 Ding!

Correct, and I am impressed with the wear characteristics__I fully expected that these would need to be replaced long before now! At this rate, they may never need to be...

... although, I do have these waiting in the wings, just waiting to be fully finished to size!

And I guess these were older than I thought!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-25 12:52 PM by Randy Forbes.

haasad Avatar
haasad Andy H
Thank you. Happy New Year.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1956 Austin Healey 100

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links