Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Pilgrim69 Paul H
Esentepe, Esentepe, Cyprus   CYP
Hi folks
When I bought 100/6 project didn’t think to much about the fact it had disc brakes all round
Think they are original and are probably Dunlop , notice on british car forum they have covered this subject and apparently only about 40 cars were produced with this option
However as I’m now at the point were I want to renew the components I am told this a problem and might entail refurbishment of some parts and making of other bits to allow connection to existing gear . Resulting an very expensive exercise.

Therefore I wonder if other members have addressed the renewal or change of these components and may have found a cheaper solution
Cheers
Pilgrim

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tfr1 gerald H
Atlanta, GA, USA   USA
Pilgrim,

If you have 4 wheel dunlop disc brakes on you car, my suggestion is that you repair what you have.
Service and repair parts are available. Any other conversion will result in having to purchase new components, brake calipers, rotors, caliper mounts and probably new hard lines to make all of the connections.

My BN4 has Dunlop discs at all 4 corners. They are very good brakes.

You need to post some pictures of what you have.

TFR1

Attachments:
Dunlop Front.jpg    33.8 KB
Dunlop Front.jpg

dunlop rear waiting to be installed.jpg    35.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
left rear rotor.jpg    30.5 KB
thumbnail-1.jpeg    47.9 KB
Rob Glasgow Avatar
Lompoc, CA, USA   USA
Gerald, what's with the knock offs with the center drilled out? They look good. Do the open ends serve a purpose?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Dougie Avatar
Dougie Doug Escriva
Portland, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 205381 by Rob Glasgow Gerald, what's with the knock offs with the center drilled out? They look good. Do the open ends serve a purpose?

Less unsprung weight.

Attachments:
'57 414 Front of House Large.jpg    70.1 KB
'57 414 Front of House Large.jpg

tfr1 gerald H
Atlanta, GA, USA   USA
Rob,

Dougie's answer is probably the answer I should give, but........ what really happened is when I decided to go racing more than 30 years ago, I found an H Production MK1 Sprite. When I completed the build and had to make a choice of tires, there were not many affordable options.
I found some Yokohama A001 tires at a bargain price but the tread depth was for street use, not race track.

I found someone that would shave them but he did not have any way to mount my wire wheels in his machine. So it was decided that I would mount the tires on the wire wheels. Then I would provide a wire wheel hub with bearings and secure the wheel/tire assembly to the hub (a knock off with the center machined out) so that the mounting bar and centering cones could be used to mounted the wheel to his shaving machine.

It all worked perfectly.

The first tires cost less than $150/set. It took a couple of years to realize that race tires are superior to street tires. We started running Avon race rubber at $200/tire. Much better tires and no need to shave tread.

But the knock off's with the machined centers stayed. So many people asked about them, they became part of the fun.

The BN4's wheels are done as an homage to my first race car. (Hendrix Wire Wheels balanced and shaved them without holes in the Knock Off's)

A current picture of my old race car is attached.(I sold it quite a few years ago)

Gerald

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-22 07:17 PM by tfr1.

Attachments:
20160422_161534_resized.jpg    30.7 KB
20160422_161534_resized.jpg

Pilgrim69 Paul H
Thanks Guys
Interesting and helpful
Have started dismantling and found some Dunlop caliper part numbers 688393 and 683392 , wonder if anyone recognise them , have seen a Dunlop 2 1/8th set on eBay 688382 ,
Going to post photos ,but have them on what’s app and don’t know how to download on to forum
Cheers
Pilgrim

Pilgrim69 Paul H
Hi taken advice from you guys
Had discs refurbished here in Cyprus ,look good , having Calipers and piston pots bodies refurbished and have bought kits to fit
At present just sorting new pads , sending photos to powerbrakes in uk , they will airfreight to me, very good service.
Will post photos shortly .
Also found out there were only 40 Lhd 100/6s produced with these brakes so depending on how many scrapped quite rare , wonder if there worth more, knowing would compensate for what I call my money pit

603000 Daniel S
Addison, IL, USA   USA
As an point of interest.
I was closely examining the show car " Goldie" at the Cincinnati Conclave (a 100-6 also).
Goldie is the Earls Court Motor Show car and has factory Dunlop rear disc brakes on it.

Pilgrim69 Paul H
Yes I saw ad for car asking 500k would expect a few extras for that sort of spondoolies

Pilgrim69 Paul H
Seal kits for calipers and pistons arrived today , should be interesting ,let you know how I get and post photos

tfr1 gerald H
Atlanta, GA, USA   USA
Glad you are making progress with your brake project.

As you have discovered, there are very few original factory 4 wheel disc brake cars. They also stop much better than the original brakes.

I purchased EBC green stuff pads for mine. They stop much better than standard pads.

We still need a picture of your progress.

Do you have an emergency brake mechanism on you rear brakes? If so, a picture would be helpful for me.
Mine has an emergency brake but the travel of the brake lever is greater than I would like. Just would like to see how yours is done.

tfr1

BarryL Avatar
BarryL Barry Lovelock
Lizard, UK   GBR
An ex-colleague and friend of mine used to have a 100-6 with the 4-wheel disc brakes fitted. He'd never seen another car like his here in the UK. I note that ~40 were in the States, anyone know the overall number ? I might add that years after he sold it he still got excited at the sight of and even mention of one !

Dougie Avatar
Dougie Doug Escriva
Portland, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 206098 by BarryL An ex-colleague and friend of mine used to have a 100-6 with the 4-wheel disc brakes fitted. He'd never seen another car like his here in the UK. I note that ~40 were in the States, anyone know the overall number ? I might add that years after he sold it he still got excited at the sight of and even mention of one !

Somewhere around 50 total to get homolation for the racing class approval, but they were offered as a dealer option for a few years.
http://www.healeysix.net/DiscBrakes.htm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-20 11:24 PM by Dougie.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1956 Austin Healey 100M

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links