AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

lewmac Avatar
lewmac Silver Member Lew McAllan
Hawthorn Woods, IL, USA   USA
1960 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite "Buggy" ~ For Sale ! ~
1968 Austin-Healey Sprite "Bluey"
1969 MG MGC "Greeny"
I just purchased this rather rare hardtop for my 100-6. Can't find any other pictures online.

Does anyone have photos of a car with this hardtop installed ?

Does anyone have this hardtop ?

Thanks
Lew

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
acme_hly_hdtp_001 (2).jpg    66.6 KB
acme_hly_hdtp_001 (2).jpg

ACME hardtop for Big Healey 1.jpg    31.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Rob Glasgow Avatar
Lompoc, CA, USA   USA
I believe I have a Brouchure for this top that I sent for back in 1963. I really liked the look of the fastback and would have bought one but as a starving college student, the $329 price was just too much. I would still love to have one but I never seen one come up for sale. Lew, you're a lucky man to have found one. Where did you come across it?

lewmac Avatar
1969 MG MGC "Greeny"
Hi Rob,
It popped up on our Midwest yahoo board and I jumped on it. Pure Luck. Wanted to find something a little different for the 100-6.The seller was from Oklahoma but the top was here in Chicago area, so will pick it up tomorrow.

Any chance you can scan that brochure and send me a copy ? Would be great to see if there is any indication of the hardware used to hold it down.

If possible, my email is lewmcallan@gmail.com

Cheers
Lew

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
HotRod416 Barry K
Oconomowoc, WI, USA   USA
That's really interesting and attractive. Let us know how the installation goes. Just 15 minutes...

sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
I doubt even back in the day the guys at the ACME factory could install one in 15 min, maybe a day if you really knew what you were doing and had all the right pieces. That being said it looks really cool and beautifully designed, I mean that thing looks like it came from the factory.

Rob Glasgow Avatar
Lompoc, CA, USA   USA
Lew, I did find the Acme catalog I recieved in 1963. It was mainly for Corvettes but I've scanned the pages relating to the AH hardtop you bought. Not sure why I saved this catalog for so many years. Maybe I was just waiting for someone to asked to see it. Rob

Attachments:
CCF11022017_3.pdf    539 KB

CCF11022017_2.pdf    578.1 KB
CCF11022017.pdf    735 KB
lewmac Avatar
1969 MG MGC "Greeny"
Here is a quick update. Have the hardtop just sitting on the car to get a feel for it. Certainly not 15 mins install and not a fabulous fit but I think it looks very cool. Would be nice as a permanent coupe !

I have a front curved wood piece from an old soft top with clamps, that with a bit of sanding, should fit nicely into the existing hardtop front pocket. The height at front allows use of the standard soft top clamps which will look "factory". Will need a 2nd boot lid, as it is a pain to change it over, just removing the stock boot lid before fitting the hard top will be enough.

Biggest concern will be how to install without scratching the paint - will need a rubber back plastic/nylon edging to prevent this and seal the trunk, similar to the furflex door trim.

Cheers
Lew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-18 07:24 PM by lewmac.

Attachments:
IMG_0012.JPG    41.9 KB
IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG    46.8 KB
IMG_0014.JPG    54.9 KB
IMG_0017.JPG    44.3 KB
Rob Glasgow Avatar
Lompoc, CA, USA   USA
Lew, the top looks great. I think it will look even better when you have the side screens installed. I mailed the brochure yesterday. Rob

HealeyRick Avatar
HealeyRick Rick N
MA, Northshore, USA   USA
Parts are probably available from their mail order catalog:

Very nice looking period accesory. I always thought a Healey fastback would be cool, although I think finding a way to add airconditioning would be a positive.

Rick

"Madman in a death machine"
Austin-Healey 3000 w/5.0L and T5Z: http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8264

lewmac Avatar
1969 MG MGC "Greeny"
Nice graphic ! Used to watch that cartoon as a kid.

AC no, but have sliding windows and plan to have the 1/4 windows hinge open like on my Ashley bugeye hardtop or as seen on other British cars like the Triumph GT6 or MGB GT. Should be good enough.

Agree re fastback, there are a few examples out there, like the one attached. With the "not easy" ease of installing the fastback hardtop, I think it would be best as the basis for a permanent coupe. But, not sure I want to do that !

Cheers
Lew

Attachments:
austin-healey-3000-S2701085-5.jpg    56 KB
austin-healey-3000-S2701085-5.jpg

HealeyRick Avatar
HealeyRick Rick N
MA, Northshore, USA   USA
That's a beautiful fastback although a bit spendy: http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/austin-healey/3000/austin-healey-3000-mkii-coupe/5091277 Being BJ8 with roll-up windows would make it quite a comfortable tourer.

Rick

"Madman in a death machine"
Austin-Healey 3000 w/5.0L and T5Z: http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8264

Randy Forbes Avatar
Parrish, FL, USA   USA
1957 Austin-Healey 100-Six
1999 BMW M Coupe "Blue Car"
1999 BMW M Roadster "Black Car"
2001 BMW M Roadster "Gray Car"
Acme may not have been the only source for a fastback style hardtop for the Healey; this one is fitted to a roll-up window car, so must've at least come out of a different mold.

Creative use for the rear over-riders too...

The Acme ad shown above was taken from the pages of a 1959 or '60 Road & Track magazine, I think it was the same one introducing the new 3000 model (by David E. Davis, including a cross-country drive with the "... aid of highly potent pep-pills."

64BJ8 Peter B
Kiln, MS, USA   USA
I have been in the lookout for one of these for years. In fact ever since I saw a vintage ad for one. The ad was for Kellison, not ACME. And it appeared to be fitted to a BJ series car. Here is a pic of the ad. There are a lot of similarities to yours, so I’m going to assume it’s a derivative of some sort.

Attachments:
8A5310F6-2AEA-481D-9505-E6C3BA820784.jpeg    44.5 KB
8A5310F6-2AEA-481D-9505-E6C3BA820784.jpeg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Austin Healey 3000 BT7

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links