AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Kev.W Avatar
Kev.W Kevin Whitton
Fareham, Hampshire, UK   GBR
Hi Ron,

Thanks for your comments. Yes, it is quite a rare car. One of only 45 right hand drive BN6 export models made during 1958/59. How many of them had disc wheels, I don't know ? But I do like chrome wires - dilemmas !!
You live in a fantastic country by the way.

Kev.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
stuntflyr Avatar
stuntflyr Chris McMillin
Catalina, Foothills, USA   USA
I like the look of the disc wheels and I drive my car (carefully) with all drum brakes. It's not a regular car, your's. I'd sure think long and hard before changing such a fine car, it really looks to be a special Healey.
Chris...

Randy Forbes Avatar
Parrish, FL, USA   USA
1957 Austin-Healey 100-Six
1999 BMW M Coupe "Blue Car"
1999 BMW M Roadster "Black Car"
2001 BMW M Roadster "Gray Car"
Only ONCE EVER did I introduce "fade" to the all-drum brakes of my BN6; back in the late-70s, I was accelerating DOWN Stiener Street towards Lombard, hitting the brakes hard approaching the intersections and accelerating down each next block. Must've done that for about 8 to 12 blocks! It took A LOT of pedal pressure to stop for the light @ Lombard, but it did indeed still stop. I parked in the underground garage at the Cow Hollow Motor Inn and went in to talk to the girl I knew working the reception desk; when I returned to the garage an hour or so later, all you could smell was that acrid scent of overcooked brakes (she later said the smell lasted a couple of days)!

After having sat for an hour or so, the brake functions returned to normal again, and I was off on another adventure (hooning through the Financial District, with the car's barely muffled exhaust echoing off the tall buildings was another late-night pastime back in my not so innocent youth...).

During the mid-late 80s, I got into autocrossing with the car, and actually did quite well, achieving 3rd-place finishes in two (2) consecutive TLAC challenges (five regional races, two years in a row) being beaten by the same two guys/cars both years. C-Street Prepared was a pretty competitive class in those days, and my thirty (>30) year old car was outclassed by a specially prepared (trailered, and not even street license-able) VW Sirocco and a GTi Golf. Point is, it wasn't the drum brakes that held me back winking smiley

The drum brakes do a fine job of hauling down the car from any speed, assuming that they are properly maintained and most importantly, correctly adjusted. The pedal travel in my car with the drums was barely over one (1) inch from the freezone to rock hard; there's nothing I can do to get that same feeling since I converted the cars to MK I front discs, though ss/Teflon lines made a noticeable improvement (can only imagine how nice they would've been with the drums).

The only real world advantage I can see converting the drums to discs, is a reduction in sprung weight at each front corner. At least with the stock 1960s front discs, I don't feel there's any big improvement in the ability to stop the car in regular, or even mildly spirited street use. IF you were to use the car for track events, then the discs would be easier to keep cool, but look at Dougie's (Florida Green/white) 100/6 Vintage Racer, he still running drums.

Now about the wheels, it's a lot easier to make the conversion going to wire wheels from drums than it was for me to go in the opposite direction (I had to have the hubs made, but that's another story...). I put my BN6 back to wire wheels a few years ago, and they sure are gorgeous to look at!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
stuntflyr Avatar
stuntflyr Chris McMillin
Catalina, Foothills, USA   USA
Randy and Kev,
I shouldn't have written about driving my car because it doesn't actually drive on the street. It has fine action from it's brakes but it has a rusty frame and 1971 Goodyear F78 tires and I only drive it around the airport where it is stored at under 40 mph. If ever that fast. I'm very impressed to read Randy's words about the brakes in all drum form, though.
Chris...

Randy Forbes Avatar
Parrish, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 182873 by stuntflyr Randy and Kev,
I shouldn't have written about driving my car because it doesn't actually drive on the street. It has fine action from it's brakes but it has a rusty frame and 1971 Goodyear F78 tires and I only drive it around the airport where it is stored at under 40 mph. If ever that fast. I'm very impressed to read Randy's words about the brakes in all drum form, though.
Chris...
Oh, to be young, stupid, and live in 1970s San Francisco again!

But you bring up a good point about the tires though, as good brakes don't have any value if the rubber doesn't grip the surface. That was the era of Pirelli P3s, so they're undoubtedly what's fitted, probably 175/80 Series, on the original (but recently retuned/balanced/painted) 48 spoke wheels.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't try that same stunt today... eye popping smiley

PS: April 1st__no joke__marked thirty-eight (38) years since buying the Healey, and it's still a joy to drive, if altogether different than some of my more modern sportscars. Buy; never sell!

Kev.W Avatar
Kev.W Kevin Whitton
Chris/Randy,

Thanks for the nice comments - sorry for delay in replying......it's our 30th wedding anniversary and my attentions have been elsewhere.

I think I'm going to try chrome wires (or stainless) with drum brakes and see how I get on. I won't be selling the disc wheels, so they can go in the loft for storage.

Randy, can I ask what size wheels and tyres you are running on your Healey. Looks stunning by the way - love the colour and the grill !! Do they rub on full lock by any chance ? They certainly fill the arches.

Kev.

Randy Forbes Avatar
Parrish, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 182954 by Kev.W Chris/Randy,

Thanks for the nice comments - sorry for delay in replying......it's our 30th wedding anniversary and my attentions have been elsewhere.

I think I'm going to try chrome wires (or stainless) with drum brakes and see how I get on. I won't be selling the disc wheels, so they can go in the loft for storage.

Randy, can I ask what size wheels and tyres you are running on your Healey. Looks stunning by the way - love the colour and the grill !! Do they rub on full lock by any chance ? They certainly fill the arches.

Kev.
No problem; though not always immediately obvious, most of us do have a life outside of our love of cars winking smiley Congratulations on your anniversary, no small feat that!

I'm using Dayton "center-laced" (sometimes also referred as "well laced" ) wheels that are spec'd for an AC Cobra, the early 289 variant. They're 6" wide, and DO STICK OUT at the front (c/l wheels can be had in 5" too, and someday I may buy a pair...) but the only time there is any rubbing__more like barely touching__is on full left lock, with some bump introduced to the right wheel (the RH/FR tire rubs on the inner leading edge against the plate attached behind the headlight, but only on full LH lock with some bump). The rears are fine, though there is a faint trace from some hard cornering on a cambered road (tire tipping in at the top-center) but overall, no clearance issues to prevent this setup. I am using 195/65 tires, so their overall diameter is reduced, and that helps too__at the expense of muffler clearance, but again, only a minor concern for the roads I travel.

BE FOREWARNED: the front drums and their recessed hub/spline can be a clearance issue with certain wheels! As one example, the factory 60-spoke Healey wheels from the later 3000s should be avoided; the spokes contact the drums and they break. My car was in my brother's hands for a spell and not knowing any better, he put chromed 60 spokes on it; they looked great, but the LH/FR wheel soon had twenty-one (21) broken spokes and the RH/FR had eleven (11)! Fortunately, for all involved, he didn't know how to tune the triple SUs on it, so it was driven very little (the broken spokes were discovered after I got the car back__he had set out to flat tow the Healey behind a U-Haul truck from California to Florida, and wound up leaving the car at an inlaw's place near SLC, Utah! I rented a flatbed truck in Lafayette, Louisiana where I lived and set out to fetch the car before "something" happened to it! I got it running before I even got it off the truck__the entire left-front wheel/drum/spline unattached, with failed bearings__and parked it until I could afford to resolve all his sins.

Hmmm, swayed away from the point there.

In any case, since those dark days back in the 80s, there are now a certain offset 60-spoke wheel that will clear the drum brakes (the 100/6 was originally fitted with 48-spoke wheels, and I do not recommend using them with today's much, much grippier tires). Triumph TR6 72 spoke wheels fit with zero issues (and what I put on the car back in 1984). To the best of my knowledge__which admittedly only reaches so far__there are no wheels that present clearance problems with disc brakes (ALL the aforementioned wheels being 15" diameter).

For the best, and most complete information on wire wheels and their fitment to Healeys, I recommend that you talk to Alan Hendrix/Hendrix Wire Wheel; here's one (1) of the links to his website: http://www.hendrixwirewheel.com/wirewheels.html I'm pretty sure that he's where I heard about some 60-spoke wheels with enough offset to clear your front drums. Incidentally, you will need the rear drums for the wire-wheeled car, as well as shorter studs (pretty sure that was already mentioned above...).

Lastly, that grill was an Amco (sp?) aftermarket, period accessory; I found mine on ebay. I was the under-bidder and after the end of the auction, the seller contacted me and sold me a second one he had for what I had last bid on the auction item__so I got mine cheaper than the guy the won the auction! He said there were blemishes in the chrome, but if there are, I can't find them (maybe he shipped me the auction item and the other guy got the blems...?). I can't say that I've seen any listed since then, but I do remember them being on cars and in catalogs back in the day. Honestly though, it would be easy enough to replicate; I would use 1/2" industrial stainless-steel instrument tubing (and the PROPER tube bender, as the 1/2" size__unlike 1/4" & 3/8"__will separate the men from the boys!). A little polish and some TIG-brazing and you'd be all set. Chrome plating optional.

Kev.W Avatar
Kev.W Kevin Whitton
Randy,

Thanks for the info regarding wire wheels, very interesting. I didn't realise I'd have to change the rear drums - something learnt.
I see that your Healey was built in May 1958. Guess what ? So was mine. Built 12 - 13 May. Delivered with a black hardtop ! Not with the car now unfortunately.

Thanks for all the info once again.

Kev

Randy Forbes Avatar
Parrish, FL, USA   USA
You made me look; yep, mine was built on the 14th/15th May, 1958. By the time I bought ($5.00 non-mandatory donation back in 1984) I had already owned the car some 6-1/2 years; when I bought it in San Francisco in early 1978, it was titled as a 1957, and that's what I refer to it still to this day__I just can't bring myself to call it a '58, despite the facts.

So I'm guessing that your VIN must be pretty close to mine (BN6L/942)?

Kev.W Avatar
Kev.W Kevin Whitton
BN6/887 - body 399.

Tigersioux Avatar
Tigersioux Sebastien M
Reuti, BE, Switzerland   CHE
Hi Kevin,
Your car's looking great! You have to choose by yourself, Ron's word is right but wire wheel are definitively looking awsome on an Healey aNd make the difference to a "standard" old timer

hipo528 Avatar
hipo528 larry ingram
easley, SC, USA   USA
1959 bn6 daily driver but still a work in progress!!!

Attachments:
IMG_2395.JPG    51.2 KB
IMG_2395.JPG

IMG_2417.jpg    47.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Kev.W Avatar
Kev.W Kevin Whitton
Hi Larry,

Looks interesting !! Tell me more !! I'd like to see what's under the bonnet (hood). V8 maybe ?

Kev.

hipo528 Avatar
hipo528 larry ingram
easley, SC, USA   USA
sbc zz4 with 405 hp cam kit...200 4r aod transmission with lockup converter.

Attachments:
IMG_2383.JPG    59.1 KB
IMG_2383.JPG

IMG_2384.JPG    53.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
JourneyNotDestination Erik Pendleton
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
[url=]Beginning of drive from Eminence KY to Gratz.[/url]

Great road. it is 18 miles between Eminence and Gratz. The road is a great road to push your Healey to the limits. More curves later in route, but was holding camera with one hand and driving and driving it was more fun than making the video!. Sorry about the poor quality as a result. Have order mounts so future videos should be much better. Any way, a nice road and I got it pretty wound out in some areas.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1968 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links