Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

alamango Philip Alamango
Naxxar, st paul, Malta   MLT
Dear All,

I am close in buying the above mentioned Healey however although a heritage certificate is in hand, I am not sure whether the engine is the original one
even though it carries the right engine number corresponding to the relative car. Is there a way how to authenticate the engine,besides the strip aluminum
which in this case carries the correct engine number. Also how can I make sure that this is an original plate.

Philip Alamango

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
DerekJ Avatar
DerekJ Derek Job
Cotswolds, Gloucestershire, UK   GBR
The quick answer is No. There is no way that you can be sure that it is the original engine. The metal strip is the only place where the engine number is marked and even if the strip exists you cannot be a 100% sure that it is the original one.

However I wouldn't worry about that. For the great majority of 'ordinary' Healeys, i.e. non famous works cars, it really doesn't matter whether it is the original engine or not. I would not pay any more money just because a car claims to have the original engine and gearbox. On the other hand, as you are a buyer, you can always try to get a reduction in price if the seller can't prove originality.

In summary, don't let it stop you buying the car.

Derek
www.healeysix.net

Dougie Avatar
Dougie Doug Escriva
Portland, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 179591 by DerekJ The quick answer is No. There is no way that you can be sure that it is the original engine. The metal strip is the only place where the engine number is marked and even if the strip exists you cannot be a 100% sure that it is the original one.

However I wouldn't worry about that. For the great majority of 'ordinary' Healeys, i.e. non famous works cars, it really doesn't matter whether it is the original engine or not. I would not pay any more money just because a car claims to have the original engine and gearbox. On the other hand, as you are a buyer, you can always try to get a reduction in price if the seller can't prove originality.

In summary, don't let it stop you buying the car.

I agree with Derek, if everything else is spot on with the car and the price is right, go for it.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dkgraber85 Avatar
dkgraber85 Darin Graber
SLC UT, USA   USA
Hi Philip -
My early 100-6 firewall plate was BN4L-O-42288 and the engine number was ICH42288. Car was built May 22, '57 as per the heritage cert. It wasn't until the line moved to Abingdon in late '57 that the engines and body number were different. So if they're the same, it might be the original engine - who knows. However, I can't imagine someone would have taken the time to leave the 2-port head in the car AND change the plate on a 29D motor to match the body number.

sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
Philip,

If it's got a 2-port head it's probably original, there'd be no advantage to replacing a 6-port motor, which put out about 117hp with a 2-port motor that put out 102hp. The only reason I could see for swapping a 2-port into a 6-port car would be years ago when these cars were daily drivers and a 2-port was all that was available at the time to quickly get the car back on the road.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links