Bell housing to transmission question

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

59AH100-6 Jon Bill
Auburn, IN, USA   USA
I have a 59 100-6 without overdrive. I recently purchased a nice transmission with overdrive to install. My question is which bell housing should I use? The original one attached to the engine? Or the original one attached to the transmission? And why?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rusty1c Avatar
rusty1c Peter D
Antioch, CA, USA   USA
1961 Austin-Healey 3000 BT7 "RUBY"
1963 Chevrolet C10 "Rusty"
Bill,
I had the same dilemma years ago. I had a 62 3000 Mk 2. It was a "standard car" meaning that it didn't have adjustable steering column, it came from the factory with a 4 speed transmission and had steel wheels. The transmission in the car was bad from the get go. I purchased a replacement side shift transmission and installed it myself. Then the problem started. Apparently there are some differences in pressure plate sizes of about 1/2". I don't know what the replacement tranny came out of but it went in without a hitch. When I went to start the car the engine turned over about a half turn an stopped dead. I removed the transmission and found that one of the spring housings on the pressure plate was hitting on an inside section of the bell housing just above the actuating arm for the clutch. I ended up having to cut a small hole in the bell housing to get relief for the pressure plate. Once that was done I had no more clearance issues. So just beware. Unfortunately that is all the info that I have.
Pete

Randy Forbes Avatar
Parrish, FL, USA   USA
1957 Austin-Healey 100-Six
1999 BMW M Coupe "Blue Car"
1999 BMW M Roadster "Black Car"
2001 BMW M Roadster "Gray Car"
My numbers may be a little off__trying to remember this stuff from 40 yrs ago__but in essence...

the 100/6 came with a 9" Borg & Beck style clutch
the 3000 MKI/II was fitted with a 10" B&B clutch (bigger belhousing & either side or center shift xmsn)
the 3000 MKIII reverted to a 9-1/2" clutch but with a diaphragm (Bellville) spring.

Oh, and each of the three (3) clutches had its own specific throwout (release) bearing!

Smart money says that any of the early cars should upgrade to the MKIII setup (requires redrilling
tapping holes on the 100/6 flywheel, maybe the MKi/II also) and then clearance problems are a thing of the past.

Another thing, at some point, the s/s xmsn had the bellhousing upgraded with an input shaft seal; early ones relied on a reverse scroll (like the rear main seal on crankshaft). I have put the later bellhousing on my pre-seal side shift with no additional modifications required, but I have no way of insuring that the trans was previously unmolested (meaning: maybe it already had a later/matching input shaft...?).

I'm sure that cleared things up, lol!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links