Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Raindog Avatar
Raindog Alan W
Saint Augustine, FL, USA   USA
Storing my spare tire (165X15) in the opening of my BN6 is extremely difficult and removing it is even more of a task. It is stink to monkey tight in the height dimension, side to side is snug but fits. Do others experience this and shy of deflating it and carrying a mini compressor has anyone resolved this issue?
Alan

1955 BN-1
1959 BN-6

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
hipo528 Avatar
hipo528 larry ingram
easley, SC, USA   USA
mine is the same way. I used some
talcum powder to help the tire slide in and out of the cover more easily!

BobAH100 Bob Markovich
Patterson, NY, USA   USA
Wrap a plastic trash bag around the part that won’t show when the tire is slid into the space to reduce friction. Failing that, use a 155/15 spare.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Pookiemir1 Rick Miron
North Bay, ON, Canada   CAN
I have a BN6 and spoke to a concours judge who has a BN4 and explained the same issue with other BN6's- they weren't meant for radial tires thus the previous suggestion of the narrower tire. What the judge did with his is to gently use a house jack to pry the lip open a bit more- and it worked for him. He also suggested just putting less air in the tire....

BobAH100 Bob Markovich
Patterson, NY, USA   USA
I had a BN6 for many years (now have an early BN1, where the spare-tire slot is even tighter!). What I did should apply to BN7s as well:

First off, I've found these cars run best on 165/15 tires--no need for anything wider. They are vintage cars, after all, and anything you put on them today (I like Vredestein Sport Classics) will be far better than what they came with. You avoid tire-rubbing in front with the 165s. And they SHOULD fit the spare slot, especially if slipped halfway into a plastic garbage bag first. I don't recommended deflation; what's the point of a spare if there's too little air in it? And I'd rather use the space I'd take for inflation pumps or spare air for spare parts!

Note that the above worked fine for me, even with the splined Minilite knockoff alloys available from Moss and elsewhere, which, at 5.5 inches, are a full inch wider than the standard 48-spoke wire wheels.

For BN1s and BN2s, using the same alloy wheels, I had to go with a 155/15 spare. When the 165s on the other four wheels wear or age out, I may switch to 155s all around, which really are fine for the early cars. Again, though, I'm using the Minilite-style alloys, which save me the worries and hassle (and weight!) of spoke-breaking wire wheels. If using the original-style 48-spoke wires, the 165s fit the spare slot without issue even on the 100-4s.

Hope this helps ...

Randy Forbes Avatar
Parrish, FL, USA   USA
1957 Austin-Healey 100-Six
1999 BMW M Coupe "Blue Car"
1999 BMW M Roadster "Black Car"
2001 BMW M Roadster "Gray Car"
I went overboard...

The tire's too fat to fit through the slot at all, so I put it in from the front and let it shine.

hipo528 Avatar
hipo528 larry ingram
easley, SC, USA   USA
I tried bob's idea of using a trash bag...worked very well! thanks for the tip!

BobAH100 Bob Markovich
Patterson, NY, USA   USA
This trick is especially important on the Fours, which still require a 155 spare

sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
I've found with a can of fix-a-flat and a Triple A card I don't even need a spare.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links