Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Jjchkc11 Avatar
Jjchkc11 Jim Corbett
Arlington, WA, USA   USA
What is the best way to clean the chassis of dirt,oil,grime?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
02605E9F-01CC-4F37-8CCF-68CB6B1B6C12.jpeg    54.7 KB
02605E9F-01CC-4F37-8CCF-68CB6B1B6C12.jpeg

Dougie Avatar
Dougie Doug Escriva
Portland, OR, USA   USA
San Jose, CA, USA   USA
I've had good results from Kano Floway (makers of Kroil):

http://www.kanolabs.com/engCle.html

NFI

Bob

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rusty1c Avatar
rusty1c Peter D
Antioch, CA, USA   USA
1961 Austin-Healey 3000 BT7 "RUBY"
1963 Chevrolet C10 "Rusty"
Jim,
I used to be an industrial mechanic before I retired. You can't imagine the grease and oil messes that I've had to clean up prior to servicing or repairing equipment. Due to environmental constraints we had to use a product that was environmentally compliant. We found this stuff (OIL EATER) and it works fantastic on everything from equipment to driveways and we even used to add a cup to the washing machine when we did our greasy work clothes. I use it at home to pull oil stains up out of concrete.
Pete

http://oileater.com/household/cleaner-degreaser/

GregPoo Greg P
Sydney, NSW, Australia   AUS
And don't forget to use multiple nylon brushes and a medium-sized mountain of rags ... and rubber gloves, if you're the 'precious' type ...

cpcooper Craig Cooper
Chico, CA, USA   USA
I’ve never regretted buying the best pressure washer I could afford at the time. Up to then, I used self serve car washes, but generally got the stinkeye from the proprietor and people waiting next in line for the mess I was making and for monopolizing the stall. Having your own source of high pressure wash gives you the flexibility to get the car up on jack stands, do repeated washings after scrubbing and soaking, and also deal what got wet so the car won’t run. Diesel fuel in a pump spray bottle is relatively inexpensive and pretty good for soaking into the grime if applied a half hour or so before pressure washing.

San Jose, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 206312 by cpcooper I’ve never regretted buying the best pressure washer I could afford at the time. Up to then, I used self serve car washes, but generally got the stinkeye from the proprietor and people waiting next in line for the mess I was making and for monopolizing the stall. Having your own source of high pressure wash gives you the flexibility to get the car up on jack stands, do repeated washings after scrubbing and soaking, and also deal what got wet so the car won’t run. Diesel fuel in a pump spray bottle is relatively inexpensive and pretty good for soaking into the grime if applied a half hour or so before pressure washing.

If you do use a pressure washer, DO NOT direct the spray at the various--asbestos, if original--heat shields in the engine compartment; you'll blast them away (ask me how I know).

cpcooper Craig Cooper
Chico, CA, USA   USA
Good thought. Also, good to keep your distance from a Stayfast convertible top, which may be, incidentally, covered by comprehensive insurance. Jus sayin’

Jjchkc11 Avatar
Jjchkc11 Jim Corbett
Arlington, WA, USA   USA
Found me a bottle of this in my dads garage. Will try soon

Jjchkc11 Avatar
Jjchkc11 Jim Corbett
Arlington, WA, USA   USA
That’s what I’m concerned about
And the car is not running

San Jose, CA, USA   USA
While we're (kinda) on the topic, do the pressure washers that just use ambient temp water effective? My dad had one that used kerosene to heat water to near boiling, and it used a 'special' soap and, while it was effective--sometimes TOO effective--it was a PITA to set up and use, and eventually rusted out. Costco has one that uses regular hose water for about $250; looks pretty good to me. Do these need a 'special' soap, and is it available at reasonable prices?

Rob Glasgow Avatar
Lompoc, CA, USA   USA
Having your own pressure washer is right up there with battery operated power tools. The best inventions in the past 30 years. Yes tap water works just fine in combination with spray on degreasers. Like has been said before, it may take several applications and washings to clean off caked on grease but it will come off.
And you will find all kinds of uses for the washer around the house. Cleaning you driveway, BBQ grill, wooden deck or fence etc. once you've owned one, you will not be without one.

San Jose, CA, USA   USA
Sooooo .... one more for the list:

1) If you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

2) If you have a welder, everything looks like two pieces of metal that need to be stuck together.

3) If you have a pressure washer, everything looks like it needs a good cleaning.

rusty1c Avatar
rusty1c Peter D
Antioch, CA, USA   USA
1961 Austin-Healey 3000 BT7 "RUBY"
1963 Chevrolet C10 "Rusty"
If you want hot water for a regular pressure washer, hook your garden hose up to the drain line on the bottom of your hot water heater. Let 3-4 gallons run out before you hook the other end of the hose to the pressure washer. This will flush out any sediment that has accumulated in the bottom of the heater and it stops it from getting into the pump. I do it all the time and there have been no ill affects on the pump. However mine is a 3500 psi unit that is powered by a gas engine so it is pretty heavy duty.
Pete

Randy Forbes Avatar
Parrish, FL, USA   USA
1957 Austin-Healey 100-Six
1999 BMW M Coupe "Blue Car"
1999 BMW M Roadster "Black Car"
2001 BMW M Roadster "Gray Car"
In reply to # 206335 by Bob Spidell While we're (kinda) on the topic, do the pressure washers that just use ambient temp water effective? My dad had one that used kerosene to heat water to near boiling, and it used a 'special' soap and, while it was effective--sometimes TOO effective--it was a PITA to set up and use, and eventually rusted out. Costco has one that uses regular hose water for about $250; looks pretty good to me. Do these need a 'special' soap, and is it available at reasonable prices?

Yes, still very effective! I'm sure if I spent enough time looking, I'd have found a dirtier example, but I did it all the time, prior to the installations of my trunkfloor/differential mount reinforcements. Can't weld__or paint__on top of dirt!

Same car, just a bit more stripped down.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Austin Healey 3000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links