disc brake conversion

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

da blokester eric anton
snohomish, WA, USA   USA
I have a '59 BN6 with stock front drum brakes and would like to convert to disc brakes.
nothing high performance, just stock healey 3000 set up. Has anyone done this?
what are the parts I will need to change for this? I have wire wheels on the car.

does any one have the required parts for sale? I'm in the Seattle,WA area.

thanks,
Eric

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
hipo528 Avatar
hipo528 larry ingram
easley, SC, USA   USA
eric, i believe that i have most of the necessary parts for the conversion . if interested please send me a private message with your email address and i can send you pictures as well as price. the calipers have almost new seals and stainless pistons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-19 10:32 AM by hipo528.

Attachments:
IMG_2188.JPG    53.1 KB
IMG_2188.JPG

Shamrock Avatar
Shamrock Scott Drewa
Oak Creek, WI, USA   USA
I am also looking for front disk setup for my 100 and would like to know what I need and what to buy. Thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Britcarsource Bobby R
Knoxville, TN, USA   USA
Eric, I am not an expert on the conversion you want to do but you may want to know that there must be a big difference between the parts for the early 3000 and the late 3000. The reason I say this, the early brake calipers (59-63) are not as available as the late 3000 calipers. Therefore, the early calipers are over twice as expensive if you can even find them. Hope this helps......bobby

sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
I have a 58 BN4 100-6 that I'm looking to upgrade to front discs. But I'm looking at the kit from AH Spares, it's a bit pricey but I like the idea of a complete kit with factory support rather than piecing something together from spare parts.

Shamrock Avatar
Shamrock Scott Drewa
Oak Creek, WI, USA   USA
HIPO528, What are you looking to get for these, they look like they would work for me . I'm intrested in buying . Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-19 07:19 PM by Shamrock.

da blokester eric anton
snohomish, WA, USA   USA
Larry,
thanks for your response, I am interested in these parts, what is the cost
including shipping to 98290. I couldn't do a private message but you can
contact me at
antontr6@gmail.com

Eric

DavidBirdIndy Avatar
DavidBirdIndy David Bird
Indianapolis, IN, USA   USA
Thanks for the suggestion to look at AH Spares
for a kit to replace the front drum brakes
(wire wheels) with discs!
Is there anyone here who has installed their kit
and can report on it?
https://www.ahspares.co.uk/austin-healey/big-healey/Competition-Parts-COM101-to-COM249/FRONT-DISC-BRAKE-CONVERSION-KIT-1.aspx

Dougie Avatar
Dougie Doug Escriva
Portland, OR, USA   USA
I have this 4-pot disc brake kit for sale, in addition I have a set of late model BJ8 splindles with the top trunnion bearing kit that have been crack checked and shot peened for additional strength (my vintage racing spares) that I would make available. With these items you could install front discs on all models of the big Healey.

https://www.ahexp.com/phorum/read.php?7,200816

Shamrock Avatar
Shamrock Scott Drewa
Oak Creek, WI, USA   USA
How much are you looking to get for the spindles and brake pieces?

In reply to # 203921 by Dougie I have this 4-pot disc brake kit for sale, in addition I have a set of late model BJ8 splindles with the top trunnion bearing kit that have been crack checked and shot peened for additional strength (my vintage racing spares) that I would make available. With these items you could install front discs on all models of the big Healey.

https://www.ahexp.com/phorum/read.php?7,200816

Dougie Avatar
Dougie Doug Escriva
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Hello Scott -

Sorry, no longer want to sell my BJ8 spindles. I just confirmed it would cost me $1,165.00 plus freight for Dennis Welch replacement spindles and there not even the later BJ8 style I have. Thanks for the inqure, I'll PM you another Healey racer who had a spare for sale, I think he wanted around $500.00 for them.

Leyburn, North Yorkshire, UK   GBR
My 100/6 has had front discs for along time, I bought the car in '72 and they were on it then, never bought any pads yet, my local garage can't believe how long I make pads last, my last every day car I sold with 80,000 miles on the clock, still on original pads and discs. That aside, a chap at SC Parts looked at my set up and promptly told me that the calipers and pads are the same as a MK3 Ford Cortina, so if anyone comes across one in a scrap yard, get the calipers and pads, the man art SC might well have been right.

lewmac Avatar
lewmac Silver Member Lew McAllan
Hawthorn Woods, IL, USA   USA
1960 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite "Buggy" ~ For Sale ! ~
1968 Austin-Healey Sprite "Bluey"
1969 MG MGC "Greeny"
Hi David,

I have a complete disc brake setup from a BT7 including WW hubs, calipers for rebuild, stub axles, backing plates, new metal brake lines and brackets, but excluding the discs. The stub axles should mate with your existing King pins. Would need $500 for the lot plus shipping, although I am in NW Chicago so could be picked up.

I also have a set of 5x 60 spoke wire wheels, with brand new 165/80R15 Thunderer Mach 1 tires, new tubes and rubber liners. Probably have $600 in them.Two wheels are freshly painted in Eastwood Argent Silver, the other three wheels are a slightly different silver, maybe original factory silver.

I believe you may need 60 spoke wheels to clear the disc calipers as the original 48 spokers if you have them, will not fit.

Let me know if interested.I can take and post pics if interested.

Cheers
Lew

In reply to # 203905 by DavidBirdIndy Thanks for the suggestion to look at AH Spares
and can report on it?
https://www.ahspares.co.uk/austin-healey/big-healey/Competition-Parts-COM101-to-COM249/FRONT-DISC-BRAKE-CONVERSION-KIT-1.aspx

Attachments:
IMG_0054.JPG    52.3 KB
IMG_0054.JPG

IMG_0040.JPG    48.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_0041.JPG    33.8 KB
IMG_0042.JPG    43.4 KB
IMG_0039.JPG    44.7 KB
IMG_0046.JPG    47.5 KB
IMG_0047.JPG    44.6 KB
IMG_0048.JPG    44.3 KB
lewmac Avatar
lewmac Silver Member Lew McAllan
Hawthorn Woods, IL, USA   USA
1960 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite "Buggy" ~ For Sale ! ~
1968 Austin-Healey Sprite "Bluey"
1969 MG MGC "Greeny"
Whoops, duplicate post !

Some additional pics.

In reply to # 203905 by DavidBirdIndy Thanks for the suggestion to look at AH Spares
and can report on it?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-06 08:33 PM by lewmac.

Attachments:
IMG_0049.JPG    41.2 KB
IMG_0049.JPG

IMG_0050.JPG    39.5 KB
IMG_0043.JPG    41.5 KB
IMG_0044.JPG    32 KB
IMG_0045.JPG    47.7 KB
IMG_0053.JPG    52.7 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1965 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links