AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

dkgraber85 Avatar
dkgraber85 Darin Graber
SLC UT, USA   USA
Hello to the forum -

Just recently the smell of gas has gotten stronger in my 100-6 and upon inspection, the gasket around the fuel gauge sender unit started to leak at some point. Not sure how long its been doing its thing, but the armacord that covers the tank has absorbed enough that I think the stronger smell is due to the amount of gas sucked up by the jute backing. Other than tightening / replacing the gasket, and airing out the armacord tank cover, anything I need to do to try and get rid of the strong gas smell? Thanks.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
NaDaDawgRacer John Jones
Waxhaw, NC, USA   USA
When you install the new gasket use a good sealant such a RTV and put it on the screw threads as well because the gas will wick around them.
John

J Neil Avatar
J Neil Neil Stewart
Monroe, NC, USA   USA
Don't use RTV, it doesn't stand up to gasoline. Non hardening fuel resistant type paste works great. Permatex makes fuel resistant sealers.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rrengineer Mike MacLean
Southern California, USA   USA
Get a gasket set for the gas tank made from Viton. The regular suspects sell this or you can cut it from a sheet. Sheets can be acquired through Grainger or Spruce Supply. Then use Hylomar Af to seal it with. The ethanol in the gas is the problem. The old cork gaskets are inadequate against ethanol. You might want to look at you rubber fuel lines and replace these with ethanol resistant ones.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1963 Austin Healey 3000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links