Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

John Erik Avatar
John Erik John Nelson
Middletown, RI, USA   USA
Im looking for the best sounding exhaust for my 1958 100-6. Moss has the Tourist Trophy SS system that seems nice, but I don't know what it sounds like. I currently put 2 cherry bomb glass packs in between the stock headers and stock tail pipes. Its loud, but the sound isn't nice. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you all.
John Erik Nelson

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rusty1c Avatar
rusty1c Peter D
Antioch, CA, USA   USA
1961 Austin-Healey 3000 BT7 "RUBY"
1963 Chevrolet C10 "Rusty"
John,
I installed the Tourist Trophy exhaust on my 3000 about a year ago. It has fiberglass in the muffler like the glass packs. When it was new it sounded pretty quiet and smooth but after about 2000 miles it now has a deeper tone and a bit of a burble when idling. When I accelerate away from a stop it has a nice crisp sound and others have said it really sound nice. When I'm cruising it isn't loud to the point that it bothers your hearing. The wind noise it more pronounced. I'd recommend it. If you want to hear what it sounded like when it was new I have a short video with sound that I can send you in a private message.
Pete

NaDaDawgRacer John Jones
Waxhaw, NC, USA   USA
I installed a system for a customer that he acquired from A Head 4 Healeys that has oversized final pipes (1 3/4” if I recall) that sounded real good. I think you can get the same system from AH Spares.
John

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RRP57AH100 Avatar
RRP57AH100 Ray Peebles
Sylvania, OH, USA   USA
Best of luck to you on the Tourist Trophy exhaust. I installed the same on my 57 100-6 BN4 and it lasted maybe 300 miles. The exhaust got so loud I was afraid a ticket would be in the future. Took the muffler off and found the inside was practically gone and not muffling anything. Replaced with a Bell muffler and glad I did. The sound is much quieter and still has that Big Healey tone. Tourist Trophy did replace the bad muffler so I have one for sale if interested.

rusty1c Avatar
rusty1c Peter D
Antioch, CA, USA   USA
I also had the same problem with the first muffler that came in the Tourist Trophy exhaust system kit. I started the car for the first time with the new exhaust installed and fiberglass went everywhere. I removed the muffler and contacted Moss. What I found when I looked into the inlet and outlet ports of the muffler was that the perforated baffle tube was not sealing against the inlet and outlet pipes as it was partially collapsed on both ends.

Exhaust was being diverted directly into the fiberglass section and then because the outlet perforated baffle was also not sealing against the outlet pipe the fiberglass was being blown right out of the muffler. Moss sent me a new muffler after I sent them some photos of the poor construction of the original muffler. The new muffler arrived and before I installed it I looked inside. The same poor construction was evident in the new muffler as well. I contacted Moss a second time and sent them more pictures this time of the new muffler. They responded by pulling the remaining mufflers off of the shelf and inspected them, all showed evidence of the same poor construction so they pulled them from the shelf. They said they would refund me my money and said I could keep the mufflers and exhaust system. Since they were so responsive I said that it wasn't necessary to refund my money. I took the second muffler to work and was able to fix the baffle tubes on each end and tack welding them in place. I installed the new repaired muffler and haven't had a problem with the fiberglass coming out and it sounds great!

Moss contacted me later me later and told me that they had received a bad lot of mufflers due to a quality control issue and they were working on fixing the problem. That was in the fall of 2016.
Pete

John Erik Avatar
John Erik John Nelson
Middletown, RI, USA   USA
I purchase the Tourist Trophy Exhaust from Moss. Its is a well built exhaust and looks great. It sounded great at first. But as I put some miles on the Healey, the exhaust became louder. It got so loud that the drone in the interior was unbearable around 3000 RPM. The exhaust sounds great if your not in the car. I knocked on the muffler with my knuckle and it sounded hollow. It seemed as though there was no longer fiber glass in the muffler anymore. I contacted Moss and they happily replaced my muffler. I put the new muffler on and it sounded great at first. Then after a a few hundred miles the second muffle became extremely loud. The interior drone at 3000 RPM is beyond belief. It gives me an instant head ache. The muffler still sounds great if your not in the car. I contacted Moss again. They will happily replace the second muffler. However they told me that my engine may be running too rich. I rich running engine produces a lot of condensation and makes the fiber glass wet. The wet fiber glass gets packed to one side of the muffler from back pressure. Now the exhaust passes through the muffler with out having any fiber glass to silence.

I have not replaced the second muffler yet until I figure out whats going on. The exhaust sounds great from a distance. My father said it never sounded better as the Healey accelerates down the road.

I wonder if there is a way to silence the drone in the cockpit?

NaDaDawgRacer John Jones
Waxhaw, NC, USA   USA
I think that I posted previously about my experience with the Tourist Trophy exhaust system. I put the system on and it only took 1 trip to the NC mountains (2 1/2 hr away) to burn it out. When I got home I removed it and actually cut the muffler open. All that I found inside were several glass balls. Yes the fiberglass had actually melted and reformed back to the original glass balls. I then cut the original 20 year old muffler open and found stainless steel wool wrapped around the baffle tubes with fiberglass outside of the wool. I wielded the original back up and put it back on. I called Moss and told them about what I found and shipped it back to them for a full refund. Their comments were that they had some problems with a new supplier but were working on it. That was two or three years ago. Evidently the mail is real slow between CA and China. It is a real shame because it was the best looking and best fitting system I have ever worked with.
John

rusty1c Avatar
rusty1c Peter D
Antioch, CA, USA   USA
I have to agree with both of the gentlemen above with regards to the Tourist Trophy mufflers. They just don't last!!! I now have 4000 miles and 2 years on my Tourist Trophy exhaust system. The car has a nice low burble to it at idle and sounds crisp when accelerating. I've had other club members say that it sounds really great when I'm in front of them. "HOWEVER" today was the first time in 2 years that I had the top up because of the colder weather and I too experienced the interior drone and is it ever LOUD!! I never noticed it before with the top down. It's so bad at around 2700-3000 rpm's that I had to wear earplugs. I have a second Tourist Trophy muffler that Moss had sent me because the first one had the failed. I 'm thinking about replacing the existing one on the car with the new one and opening up the old one to see what is going on. Based on what John found I am expecting to find something similar. If so, I'm considering repacking the whole muffler with "stainless steel wool" instead steel wool and fiberglass as the stainless won't rust. The Tourist Trophy system looks really good on the car but the mufflers just don't seem to last very long. Unless Moss has got the problem solved with the manufacturer I won't accept another replacement from them, I'll just request my money back for the cost of the muffler.
John, I would probably debate the engine running rich as the cause of the problem since we are all experiencing the same issues. It is a well known fact that when a muffler/exhaust system cools down after the engine is shut off the warm air in the system cools and therefore draws outside air into the system through the tail pipes. This outside air has a higher humidity content than what is in the system so as the outside air is drawn in it cools and condenses. This is even more prevalent in cooler weather, areas of higher humidity in the southern states and along the coast. More humidity = more condensation and the muffler is usually one of the lowest spots in the exhaust system so guess where the problems develop.
Pete
Rusty1c

RRP57AH100 Avatar
RRP57AH100 Ray Peebles
Sylvania, OH, USA   USA
Replaced the Tourist Trophy exhaust on my '57 BN4 with a Bell exhaust. It's stainless but not as shinny as the TT. Sounds very nice and not as loud as the TT exhaust. Got about 500 miles on the Bell exhaust and still sounds like the day I put it on.

Randy Forbes Avatar
Parrish, FL, USA   USA
1957 Austin-Healey 100-Six
1999 BMW M Coupe "Blue Car"
1999 BMW M Roadster "Black Car"
2001 BMW M Roadster "Gray Car"
Historically, Abarth made the best sounding muffler/exhaust system. Stebro was a close second (I once had a Stebro side-outlet on mine). Every once is a great while, someone turns up an NOS version of these, but usually pretty pricey.

I bought this Monza system through__IIRC__Victoria British/Long Motor Co. I rarely order from them because their wholesale pricing requirements are too high of a threshold (while I do work on a number of British cars, 95% of my business is on German ones).

At over eleven (>11) years old, it still sounds the same and is holding up great__oh sure, there's some scrapes on the bottom of the muffler itself, but that's Geoff's fault, not Monza's winking smiley

petnatcar Avatar
petnatcar Silver Member Peter Carbone
Watertown, NY, USA   USA
Randy,

Is this one of the STEBRO side exit mufflers?

You're right, they are noisey.

The new one is stainless steel and sounds much nicer.

Peter

Attachments:
DSCN1217.JPG    56.4 KB
DSCN1217.JPG

Britcarsource Bobby R
Knoxville, TN, USA   USA
I doubt you will beat the Monza. Great sound and I have one on my Healey for over 30 years and yes I do drive it. One on another Healey for over 15 years.
This doesn't apply in your case but I have also put the system on several bj8s but with slight modification.

Randy Forbes Avatar
Parrish, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 207765 by petnatcar Randy,

Is this one of the STEBRO side exit mufflers?

You're right, they are noisey.

The new one is stainless steel and sounds much nicer.

Peter
It could be, I do remember the muffler being in sections like that. Exiting right under your left ear doesn't help maters much. I remember how much more civilized the sound became when I put a full length (Midas) exhaust on it the first time. It still hard a vicious bark at large throttle openings, but highway cruising was an order of magnitude better.

petnatcar Avatar
petnatcar Silver Member Peter Carbone
Watertown, NY, USA   USA
Randy,
Being a boy racer I love the sound.
My solution to the noise are these little things.
They make all the difference when on the interstate.
Peter

Attachments:
MCK_silicone_earplug.jpg    43.5 KB
MCK_silicone_earplug.jpg

Randy Forbes Avatar
Parrish, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 207850 by petnatcar Randy,
Being a boy racer I love the sound.
My solution to the noise are these little things.
They make all the difference when on the interstate.
Peter
smiling smiley

My wife's a retired Audiologist__I'm NOT ALLOWED to go deaf, lol!

Besides the fitted earplugs I use in the garage, another set stored with my helmet, and the musician's earplugs (used at concerts__doesn't diminish the quality of the sound, only the decibels), I keep one of those 200-count dispenser boxes of the E.A.R. brand earplugs in the garage also (of them all, those roll-up foam ones are my favorites winking smiley ).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-26 12:38 PM by Randy Forbes.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links