Rear metal brackets for roof bows on BN6

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Pookiemir1 Rick Miron
North Bay, ON, Canada   CAN
My BN6 had the rear post brackets that hold the convertible top bows on either side as well as the cup that holds the tonneau bar cut out. I wrote to a fellow Healey owner in Australia back in the early 90' and he sent me a cardboard replica of the whole unit. I had it remade, welded onto the car but now the wood trim will NOT fit and it appears the brackets are too wide. Does anyone have the dimensions/measurements for those brackets? I was told by my body man that a good base for measuring the distance back is using the edge of the chrome ring around the oil pressure gauge....I will also need the width from the edge of side shroud- with the trim on as it's now tight..any ideas would sure be helpful as so far I've chewed up the wood behind the "cup" so much that I have to rebuild it once I get the right dimensionssad smiley....Thanks
The second picture with the wood shows how wide the cup that I have is and I was told it is wrong and needs to be "shrunk" lol

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Rear deck may 2018JPG.JPG    35.7 KB
Rear deck may 2018JPG.JPG

Wood too far.JPG    37.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Randy Forbes Avatar
Parrish, FL, USA   USA
1957 Austin-Healey 100-Six
1999 BMW M Coupe "Blue Car"
1999 BMW M Roadster "Black Car"
2001 BMW M Roadster "Gray Car"
Well first of all, if those are new side panels, you should accept that they have to be trimmed and whittled to fit. I had to do just that with a set of panels I'd bought from Moss some years back (the first set was assembled with the wooden piece along the door-shut face fitted backwards__the left piece was on the RH panel upside down__that was a head-scratcher until I compared it with one of the ancient, dry-rotted & crumbling panels I'd kept).

Your best bet is to work the wooden pieces down to where they fit, rather than alter the metalwork, only to discover that you STILL have to make the wood conform to the body.

I don't know how helpful they'll be, but you can find some pictures I took of the process here: http://spcarsplus.com/piwigo/index.php?/category/132/start-120

hipo528 Avatar
hipo528 larry ingram
easley, SC, USA   USA
I also purchased a new set of the wooden pieces for my 59 bn6 from another source,. and, they had to be trimmed to fit properly. I would think this would be much easier than altering the metal.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1954 Austin Healey 100

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links