Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tld6008 Avatar
tld6008 Tim Davis
Gulf Breeze, FL, USA   USA
I have been trying to figure out how to install the two sections of the transmission cover. Been test fitting them before carpeting but can't convince myself that I am placing the front piece in the right place. When I think I have it properly located against the fixed bulkhead the main cover seems to be too short, also the bottom of the opening is nearly against the bellhousing. I know front piece sides have to overlap the bulkhead to install screws but something just doesn't seem right. I had to rebuilt the floor flanges on both pieces but that didn't alter the upper sections although I am not positive that the front piece is dimensionally correct. Also the shifter hole in the main cover seems to be offset to the left somewhat. I have never had these in the car so I am somewhat guessing. I do have information from Rich Chrysler on how to properly carpet the pieces but at the time we were conversing I never asked how to properly install them. I would really like to call and talk to anyone familiar with this situation. I can also send specific photos if anyone thinks they would help. I also posted this to the 3000 forum

Thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Jack T Avatar
Greensburg, PA, USA   USA
I remember that when I was assembling the interior on my car what you are calling the front piece was difficult to position just so. It's rather flimsy, and the fact that it's not symmetrical side to side doesn't help. Add a bit of rust to the bottom flanges and it took a bit of persuasion to get everything together. Probably best to make sure the main gearbox cover is positioned properly and adjust the vertical bulkhead to meet it best you can. The carpeting will hide a few sins. smiling smiley

RRP57AH100 Avatar
RRP57AH100 Ray Peebles
Sylvania, OH, USA   USA
Tim …. Picture below is how my BN4 transmission cover and bulkhead went together. Sheet metal screws to hold it all in place

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Healey_040115_2.jpg    49.7 KB
Healey_040115_2.jpg

tld6008 Avatar
tld6008 Tim Davis
Thanks, that looks like a perfect fit! Don't suppose you have any closeups of the front section?
Does your speedometer cable remain outside the cover?

RRP57AH100 Avatar
RRP57AH100 Ray Peebles
Sylvania, OH, USA   USA
Sorry , no close-ups... your option on the speedo cable. I did add insulation material over the transmission tunnel and bulkhead so the speedo cable is kinda buried under the carpet. You can run the cable on the transmission side of the tunnel but remember to tie it off about every 30”

Corrivo22 Paul C
Quebec City, QC, Canada   CAN
If you are still having problems fitting the transmission cover and its extension panel I can try and help you since I just finished this frustrating step on my BN7. Frustrating because I was trying to fit a wrongly manufactured or wrongly identified extention panel I ordered many years ago from a supplier in England. I did not have the car's original extention panel since it had been converted to a centre shift which I have converted back to side shift. I recently ordered a new panel from a different supplier and everything fell into place. The starting point is the positioning of the main cover shift lever hole in line with the shift lever. The photos are of the proper extention panel fitted with its rubber flap. The speedometer cable is sandwiched with the thick foam seal between the panel and the car.
Maybe if you upload some shots of your panel.

Attachments:
DSC03145.JPG    37.5 KB
DSC03145.JPG

DSC03144.JPG    36 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
DSC03156.JPG    53.5 KB
20181011_211152.jpg    42.9 KB
sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
Tim,

Installing the transmission cover and forward bulkhead is more art than science. Both of my Healeys came to me with numerous extra screw holes along with all types and sizes of screws holding the cover in place. The most important thing when installing is to get all the gaps and holes filled or blocked or insulated. You'll get an impressive amount of heat into the cockpit through those gaps and holes.

tld6008 Avatar
tld6008 Tim Davis
Very nice photos, My front panel looks exactly like yours. I did have to weld new flanges to both pieces but they were original pieces and I have another set that is not repaired to compare sizes etc. I do need to trip some of the main cover flange to get the shifter opening to line up as it is offset by 3/4" to the right. I see you have the underlayment trapped beneath the flanges, which I understand is correct. Did all flanges fall inboard of the frame rail centerline weld? What fasteners did you use to attach flanges to floor?
Photo of shifter offset

Attachments:
Shift opening offset.JPG    10.9 KB
Shift opening offset.JPG

tld6008 Avatar
tld6008 Tim Davis
Thanks for the reply. I agree and it seems to be many different methods to get to the final result. I rebuilt my flanges so there are no screw holes and when I install new floor I welded up numerous holes likely used for attaching the covers. The fixed bulkead is now carpeted so I cant see any holes but the front section still has the three holes per side so that is something to go by. I will trim up the main cover flanges to get he shifter hole lined up then see what I have. I definitely will do my best to trap insulating material between any mating surfaces.

Corrivo22 Paul C
The side flanges of the transmission tunnel are left as is and not trimmed to fit between the frame rail center welds. Since the tunnel is installed over the thick insulating underpayment the trimming is irrelevant. I concluded this by aquiering an all original tunnel and the flanges extended beyond the welds with four holes on each side as in the photo above.
I refurbished these flanges since they were rusted. Again, the positioning of the tunnel is solely in relation to the shifter hole.
Installation of the tunnel and its extention over the underfelt raises them abit and adds space between the bell housing .
Also important to wrap / glue the leading edges ( left , right, and top ) of the extention panel carpet piece around to the backside in order to creat a carpet to carpet seal. The underfelt on the ext. panel should be trimmed / glued about one inch shy of these edges to taper down the outer thickness on these fastened edges. I used one inch long #10 pan-head Philips screws. Take care not to damage the heat shield piece which is right behind the driver side kick panel near gas pedal when drilling the holes for the screws on the LH side of the ext. panel. Positioning and drilling have to be done after underfelt and carpet are glued to panel and underfelt on floors is in place.

tld6008 Avatar
tld6008 Tim Davis
Thanks again. What you say regarding the trapping of the underlayment and wrapping the front piece carpet edges is pretty much what Rich Chrysler told me 10 years ago. Trimming back the underlayment on the front panel is very good advice, I would not have done that.
I am glad to hear about not trimming the side of the flanges as both of my covers extend over the center welds so that clears up that issue.
How do you deal with the ash tray and arm rest connection? Rich had told me to sew the armrest on but I can't imagine doing that, I was thinking velcro.

Randy Forbes Avatar
Parrish, FL, USA   USA
1957 Austin-Healey 100-Six
1999 BMW M Coupe "Blue Car"
1999 BMW M Roadster "Black Car"
2001 BMW M Roadster "Gray Car"
Hi Tim!

Wow, it's been ages; I have the rest of your BN7, from when it was a parts car (David Begnaud sold me the engine around 1983, and front discs and rear shroud from when Michael LeBlanc had it, '86-'87?). You didn't have much to start with, so you've come a long way; good job!

Here's a couple of supplementary tunnel shots, the first was from when the MGC xmsn was fitted, and after reverting back to the side-shift box.

Incidentally, after Louisiana, I spent a dozen years up in Ohio, and since 2012 I've been in the Sarasota/Bradenton area (about 40 min south of Tampa's Airport). Planning to be at the Safety Harbour All British Car Show on the 27th of October, and would like to see you if you come down__I SURE HOPE that Hurricane Michael left you alone!

Took some time, but eventually did trim out the interior. Healeys: always a work in progress...

Corrivo22 Paul C
Tim,
The positioning and affixing of the armrest pad should be done only once the carpet has been final fitted to the cover in the car screwed in place and most importantly anchored in both left and right snaps at the rear on the stationary driveshaft tunnel piece. On the BN7 the pad is centered three inches behind the ashtray's rear edge. Sewing it on is the correct factory method to affix this pad to the carpet allowing it to follow the curvature of the top of the tunnel. Locate it's position, remove the carpet and hand sew in a few stitches center front and center rear to fix it in place. Bring the carpet to your friendly neibourhood cobbler or upholsterer. OR, do like I did and sew it on by hand using an awl. I recommend a smaller 'upholstery' sewing machine needle fitted to the awl. It will take you a few hours but the result is gratifying.

Paul C

Attachments:
DSC03162.JPG    62.2 KB
DSC03162.JPG

IMG_7924.JPG    47.9 KB
IMG_7932.JPG    59.1 KB
IMG_7921.JPG    48.2 KB
tld6008 Avatar
tld6008 Tim Davis
Thanks for the reply Randy. Yes its been a long road getting to where the car is now. Hurricane Michael only damaged my dock but hurricane Ivan, several years ago, had water up to the knockoffs. Your sheet metal fits together well, guess your main cover must be from an MG? That center seam doesn't look Healey-like. My front piece must be tweaked or something as I can't get it positioned correctly and have it fit to the main section with the shifter hole centered. I did have to trim the seat rail packing strips as they were obstructing the main piece. I will get it done it's just damn frustrating to spend so much time on it. BTW I got a call from Mike Foote about 4 or 5 years ago, he was selling his 2 Healeys and misc gear. He had emphysema and wasn't able to keep up with the hobby. I stopped by and visited with him but wasn't able to find a place to move the cars to so someone got a pretty good deal.
Here are a couple photos, I thought I had one of Mike but guess not. If I get down your way I'll look you up.

Attachments:
IMG_0654.jpg    47.1 KB
IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg    44.4 KB
tld6008 Avatar
tld6008 Tim Davis
Thanks Paul. You have some very good photos. I guess I can get it sewed on with the help of your description. I notice vertical yellow tape on either side of the fixed bulkead, is that to line up the edge of the small cover? I will ask about the astray again later after I get the covers lined up. I did have to trim the seat rail packing strips as they were preventing the floor flanges from setting down properly. With the shifter hole lined up the right side flange is inboard of the frame rail weld and the left side is lapped over the weld by about half but I can't get the small cover to fit in that corresponding position so I am thinking it is tweaked or warped somewhat although just looking at it it looks perfectly fine.
You mention to be careful with the heat shielding on the drivers side, do you drill through that material or what?
I could call you up if it would be more convenient, if so send me a PM. .

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Austin Healey 3000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links