AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

stefano rosati Avatar
Firenze, firenze, Italy   ITA
1959 Austin-Healey 100-Six "Bambina"
Good morning everyone, can someone help me? I combined a trouble:
the block inside the inner column that holds the stator tube in place is broke that the direction indicator device runs along with the steering wheel. How can I solve? Do I have to change the whole steering column? Thanks to those who will give me a suggestion

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RRP57AH100 Avatar
RRP57AH100 Ray Peebles
Sylvania, OH, USA   USA
Stefano... Sorry to hear of your problem. Are you sure the block is broken at the turn indicator head? The stator tube is sort of two piece as the head mechanism has a tube that slides inside the stator tube. The tube at the head mechanism is soldered to a disc that is held to the head by metal tabs. It is possible to re-solder this tube and disc...…. I know for I have done this myself... One must disassemble the entire turn signal head mechanism and there are several parts, springs, etc. but go careful and it can be done. Reassembly is also a challenge.

It's important to fix this assembly soon because turning the control head with the wires attached does not give the wires too long a life.

If you elect to fix this please start by removing the wires running thru the stator tube. ( you may have to cut off the connectors on the wire ends ) Once the wires are free you can release the entire control head by releasing three set screws on the back side of the steering wheel. Remove the control head with wires and look for mounting screws, etc. on the underside of the mechanism.

Best wishes

RRP57AH100 Avatar
RRP57AH100 Ray Peebles
Sylvania, OH, USA   USA
Found a picture of the control head as removed and the area that may need repair

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Healey_turn_fix.jpg    23.8 KB
Healey_turn_fix.jpg

stefano rosati Avatar
Hi Ray and thank you for answering me. The break is not on the stator tube but inside the column (in Italian it is called) where the stator enters. The latter once inside is no longer blocked as it should be and so the complex clakson direction indicators follow the steering wheel instead of always remaining at the top center. Ciao e grazie

stefano rosati Avatar
something has become grainy inside the steering column in Italian is called "mille righe" where the stator tube enters

rusty1c Avatar
rusty1c Peter D
Antioch, CA, USA   USA
1961 Austin-Healey 3000 BT7 "RUBY"
1963 Chevrolet C10 "Rusty"
Stefano,
Do you have a, adjustable control head /steering wheel or the non adjustable type?
Peter

stefano rosati Avatar
Ciao Peter ,
I have an adjustable steering wheel .

Koudekerke, Zeeland, Netherlands   NLD
Stefano.

Are you sure the stator tube is broken inside the steering column?
Other possibility is that the olive on the bottom of the steering box is not fixed.
or
When you have an adjustable steering column the short stator tube is freely turning in the long (fixed) stator tube.

For details how to remove, repair and re install the trafficator i will advise you to look on the Healey6 site.

http://www.healey6.com/Technical/Trafficator%20Repairs.pdf

rusty1c Avatar
rusty1c Peter D
Antioch, CA, USA   USA
Stefano,

Looks like Johan responded before I could get back to you. Since you have an adjustable wheel there are 4 small indentations on the end of the upper short section of the stator tube. These indentations sometimes called a "key" fit into a slot or key way that is in the lower section of the stator tube that is inside the column. The key and key way are there to allow the steering wheel to move in and out as it is adjusted but it also stops the upper portion of the stator which holds the turn signal control head from rotating. If the key is broken off or the slot in the lower section of the stator is broken then the turn signal unit will rotate. If the key is broken that will not be to hard to repair. If the slot is damaged in the lower section of the stator tube then the lower section of the stator tube will have to be removed through the front of the steering box and repaired or replaced. If you look at the picture of page 18 of the link that Johan sent you , you can see the 4 small indentations on the end of the control head tube.
Peter

stefano rosati Avatar
Thanks you have been exceptional. I am sure that the slot is damaged in the lower section of the stator tube and I also tell you why: I replaced the original steering wheel with a motolita. the morning after I left for a trip to the sea and I realized that the steering wheel had been fixed too low that the three Allen screws could not hold the turn signal control. So in order not to lose the tour, I fixed the turn signal control with the tape to the metal spokes of the steering wheel. this in my opinion has generated the damage because the signal control was forced to rotate with the steering wheel .... I think I'll have to take it from the mechanic .... I do not think I can do it myself ... unfortunately my computer does not open the link: http://www.healeys.ca/s_10.asp, it would have been interesting. Thank you so much for your kindness and competence Stefano

rusty1c Avatar
rusty1c Peter D
Antioch, CA, USA   USA
Stefano,
Try this link.

http://valvechatter.us/?p=3391

It is actually quite easy to remove the trafficator control head and the lower stator tube. The instructions are very well written and there are a lot of pictures.
Peter

stefano rosati Avatar
Thanks Peter I knew the link that is very well done but devotes most of the explanations and photos to the removal of the short part of the stator, while little is said about the removal of the long part that is what interests me. However now I understand what happened and it's not cheap. Thanks again Stefano

rusty1c Avatar
rusty1c Peter D
Antioch, CA, USA   USA
Stafano,
It is actually quite easy to remove the lower stator tube and the tube itself is not expensive ($60 U.S.).
1. Go down to the front of the steering box and you will see a small nut with wires coming out through a small piece of tubing. This tubing is the end of the lower stator tube.
2. Follow the wires up to the point where they plug into the wiring harness and unplug them.
3. Attach a 3 meter piece of fishing line to the wires with electrical tape. This will make it easier to re-install the wires later. Make sure you stagger the wire end connectors when you tape them to the fishing
line. The wires with the ends will have to be pulled through the small hole in the fitting on the front of the steering box.
4. Remove the nut and the olive from the steering box where the tube comes out and slide them off of the wiring harness.
5. Go up to the turn switch control head and remove it by pulling the control head from the column. Slowly pull the wiring harness and the lower stator tube should come out as well. Sometimes the lower
stator tube gets stuck in the small fitting on the steering box due to a build up of rust. You might have to clean the outside of the tube.
6. When the fishing line starts to come out of the column stop pulling and disconnect it from the wiring harness. At this point the fishing line should be visible at the steering box and the top of the steering
column, leave it like that.
Peter

stefano rosati Avatar
Peter, I do not know how to thank you, I've been really helpful I have already bought the lower stator that in fact here in Italy costs 52.00 euros. Calmly I'll try to make the replacement, then I'll let you know, thanks again greetings Stephen

stefano rosati Avatar
Hello Peter good morning, I gave a 'look in anticipation of having to disassemble the low stator. It seems to me that I have to remove the grill. it's possible ? Grazie , ciao

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1968 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links