Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
AHExp

The 100-Six Forum

What did you do with your 100-Six today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jmmarch Avatar
jmmarch Silver Member Mike March
Winchester, VA, USA   USA
1957 Austin-Healey 100-Six
1976 MG Midget 1500 ~ For Sale ! ~
Picture shows the condition of the side curtains.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Side Curtain .png    370.7 KB
Side Curtain .png

I3OOOI Avatar
I3OOOI Ron Gill
Franklin, Auckland, New Zealand   NZL
HI Mark

If you want to make the frames look a Million Dollars better than they are here is a option for you, If you can locate anyone with a Vapour Blasting Cabinet.

I have a Vapour Blasting cabinet here in NZ how it works you have Glass Bead as the media suspended in water and then as the slurry is pumped around compressed Air is added to the gun which speeds up the blast media and the water softens the impact on the aluminium or other metal surfaces.

I would suggest trying to remove as much of the scratces and dings with sanding and then wet and dry as the Vapour Blasting will not remove heavy and deep marks on the base metal surfaces.

You can remove fine machining marks from new Aluminium components and prepare the surface for Anodizing with little manual work and the advantage is that you get a uniform finish the media 20 or 50 Micron Glass Beads and air pressure 40 to 80PSI.

Lower pressure and smallest media but longer time for higher polish finish.

Larger Media, Higher Pressure Quicker but not as Polished looking

I recently Vapour Blasted all the exposed Aluminium parts on my 1974 Porsche 911 before the engine was rebuilt and the finish repels grease and grime as the surface pours are closed by the media impact I did not go for a Highly polished look but more a Satin finish which looks great.

If I can one day work out how to upload I will sort out some pictures of the finished parts as I have done complete Honda SX 500 Motor Air Cooled Triumph BSA and Norton Motorcycle Crank Cases and Cylinder Heads / Barrels, Rocker Boxe Covers etc

I hope this is of assistance to others out there doing restorations on Classic Motorcycles and Cars.
Regards Ron

jmmarch Avatar
Driver's side curtain rebuilt:

3mm Lexan panels fabricated and installed.
New front post fabricated and installed.
Mounted on door...pretty good fit.

Passenger side will require more work as one corner is broken.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Side Curtain.JPG    36.4 KB
Side Curtain.JPG

jmmarch Avatar
Removed the jump seats to change out the fuel pump.

Attachments:
Fuel Pump.JPG    45.5 KB
Fuel Pump.JPG

I3OOOI Avatar
I3OOOI Ron Gill
HI Mike
What was the problem with the fuel pump?
Was it stopping pumping or did it just die of old age and the shock of being used again after lying dormant.
Ron

jmmarch Avatar
Ron,
Unsure what happened...as I've had the car less than 2 weeks. The pump pictured was bypassed and a new, generic one was mounted in the trunk.
I am in the process of replacing the gas tank and now may consider putting a correct fuel pump back in. I plan to apply power to the original pump today
but I'm sure it's probably dead.

jmmarch Avatar
Made a 2 piece bow for the tonneau cover using 3/8" steel rod and a piece of tube.
Then took a ride (41 degrees and sunny).

Attachments:
Bow 1.JPG    25.2 KB
Bow 1.JPG

jmmarch Avatar
2 more photos of the bow project. Were the originals painted grey?

Attachments:
Bow 2.JPG    31.5 KB
Bow 2.JPG

Bow 3.JPG    25.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
jmmarch Avatar
Rebuilt the Windshield Washer system using a pickle jar and 1/8" tubing. Everything works.
45 degrees and sunny...went for a spin.

Attachments:
Washer Bottle 1.jpg    43.6 KB
Washer Bottle 1.jpg

Washer Bottle 2.jpg    31.5 KB
I3OOOI Avatar
I3OOOI Ron Gill
Hi Mike
The window washer Jar looks pretty good.

I had a working bee on my Healey today and fitted the new Clutch Slave cylinder and Flex pipe self bleeding was a dream all working great and whilst the car was on my hoist I gave the suspension the once over and some grease.

I dont know if you have had a look under your car yet, but the Slave Cylinder has two bolts holding it on and the top one is a real pig to remove I made a 1/4" sq key steel drive brazed onto a piece of flat steel to do the final tighten.
A new addition for the toolkit as no other spanner in my tool box would come clase to doing the job and a 1/4" Ratchet socket wrench is a no go as you only have 1/2" to work in against the Chassis and the starter motor

Only the exhaust system to sort out great sound with nosilencer or tail pipes but the headache after 5 minutes takes its toll then onto fitting new door opening seal trims to finish off the to do list now and she will be ready for a few more summer outings from next week on.

Ron

jmmarch Avatar
Installed a new sending unit. I added an external ground due to the PO installing rubber fuel line.
Seems to work.

Attachments:
Sender.png    225.3 KB
Sender.png

mudbob Avatar
mudbob Bob Greenslade
Roseville, CA, USA   USA
Got the engine and trans together, it's getting close.

Attachments:
image.jpg    46.2 KB
image.jpg

I3OOOI Avatar
I3OOOI Ron Gill
Hi Guys

I am just recovering from a 2400 Mile Rally and extended trip around the Upper part of the South Island of New Zealand taking in some of the best Healey driving in the world great views mountain passes, coastal runs, Glacier views and the sno capped mountains as winter arrived whils on the run.
We have just attended the NZ National Rally where we had the pleasure to beet with owners of 70 plus Healeys here in NZ 14 cars and owners from Australia and another six cars from the US plus other members who hired cars here for the Rally.
One of the participants had a problem with the suspension mount on his car a BJ8 which resulted in a very close call with the car nearly loosing its LH suspension as the nuts which are tacked to the 1/8" Suspension tower top plate decided to pull through the top peeling the 1/8" material like a can opener.

We were able to find a local engineer who allowed Ian and I to dissmantle the suspension and brake line allowing us to grind off the top plate and replace with a 3/4" made up solid plate replacement which was walded directli to the remaining material which was left on the tower . Not a perfect repair but it enabled the owner to drive the car back and participate in the Rally activities for the next few days before he returned the car to Nelson to get a complete rework of the suspension replacing the dampers front and back with telescopic coil overs.
Ron

jmmarch Avatar
Made a plug for the spare wheel.
Designed in Autodesk Inventor and made on a 3D Printer.

Attachments:
IMG_4188.JPG    46.2 KB
IMG_4188.JPG

Plug.JPG    20.5 KB
jmmarch Avatar
Painted the air filters and applied transfers. Back on the car today.
Raining in Virginia...

Attachments:
Painted.jpg    34.5 KB
Painted.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1954 Austin Healey 100

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links