Barn Find 1960 3000

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Triumph05 Ken Mutch
USA, IA, USA   USA
I just purchased a 1960 Austin Healey 3000 2+2 and it is in rough shape. ( Barn Find ) Need to take the front disc brake caliper off so the car will roll and I can load on the trailer. What do I need for tools? Any suggestion on freeing up the rotors?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JiminRichmond Avatar
JiminRichmond Jim McLeskey
Richmond, VA, USA   USA
Don’t know which tools you need but would love to see photos.

J Neil Avatar
J Neil Neil Stewart
Monroe, NC, USA   USA
Sometimes, not always, a big deadblow hammer will work to loosen up the calipers and pistons so it will roll. The calipers need to be disassembled to come off. The big deadblow hammer work best in a remote situation. Oh, and lots of PB blaster or Kroil penetrating oil.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
petnatcar Avatar
petnatcar Silver Member Peter Carbone
Watertown, NY, USA   USA
Ken,

Just remove the brake pads.

Better bring a drift, Vise Grips, a hammer, a can of WD40 and a big screw driver to pry the pads out.

Good luck,
Peter

Triumph05 Ken Mutch
USA, IA, USA   USA
I did get the calipers off, there is plenty of grease on everything and the bolts turned off easy. Took the front two tires and rims home, removed what was left of the tires. There were to new ( 30 year old ) tires covered up inside the car. I think I will try and use them as rollers, if I can get them mounted. I am trying to find out how long the car has been in the chicken house, I will have to saw down a small tree to get the Healey out.

J Neil Avatar
J Neil Neil Stewart
Monroe, NC, USA   USA
Pics?

Htimsc Avatar
Htimsc Gold Member Chris Smith
Portola Valley, USA   USA
FYI for future stuck pieces - depending on the requirement/situation - hot metal, ventilation, etc., I’ve used ATF (automatic transmission fluid) and acetone in 50/50 mix ( shake well, keep away from paint). Also PB Blaster and Kroil work well.

Triumph05 Ken Mutch
USA, IA, USA   USA
Is there any way to trace the vin number to find out where the car was shipped, and color? Also here are some photos, I hope to move the car this week if the ground freezes. The Healey has been off the road since 1985, went to a body shop to be painted, most of the fenders, doors, trunk lid, and hood were painted. The body shop moved the car without the fenders out side, uncovered with no top destroying the interior. When the owner stopped to check on the progress he found the car outside, tried to move it and there was a brake issue, had the car load on a truck and it finally end up in the chicken house. The body parts and chrome parts where left at the body shop all these years. I contacted the body shop owner and we have located the big parts but have not found many of the chrome pieces.

Attachments:
IMG_1573.jpg    40.9 KB
IMG_1573.jpg

IMG_1562.JPG    55.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
9R8A6546.jpeg    57.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
JiminRichmond Avatar
JiminRichmond Jim McLeskey
Richmond, VA, USA   USA
sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
Well the doors and fenders look nice.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links