drive shaft bolts

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Westampton, NJ, USA   USA
Hi again,

Got my engine and trans installed in my BJ7. Getting ready to hook up the driveshaft and discovered the original hardware to bolt the driveshaft to the rear axle is missing. Have the original hardware with locking tabs to bolt to the OD but can't imagine what I did with the rear... I think I remember 3/8 24 hardware was used but should it be grade 8 or grade 5?

Thanks

Steve

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
healey_engine_installed_1.jpg    20.3 KB
healey_engine_installed_1.jpg

healey_engine_installed_4.jpg    18.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
healey_engine_trans_2.jpg    17.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Randy Forbes Avatar
Parrish, FL, USA   USA
1957 Austin-Healey 100-Six
1999 BMW M Coupe "Blue Car"
1999 BMW M Roadster "Black Car"
2001 BMW M Roadster "Gray Car"
Ideally, you'd use AN "grip-length" bolts. These have a long shank, and only enough threads to hold the locknut, and maybe a few shim-washers to tailor the fit.

THESE are the correct bolts to use in a shear application.

You ARE correct that they are 3/8 x 24 thread winking smiley

You can order them from Pegasus Racing: https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=AN6

I keep a few on hand, but by their nature, I order them for the application (based on the thickness of the flanges to be joined).

In this case, it's the longer of the two required, with .030" and/or .060" shims to fine-tune the crush (not as complicated as it sounds).

This too was for a driveshaft application (LS3 V8 into a '98 BMW M3 chassis).

These bolts can also be ordered with pre-drilled heads (for safety wire) or shanks (cotter pins) to save a lot of time and aggravation, as well as help you breeze through tech inspections!

The spindles/steering connections on my '61 McCulloch R1 go kart.

Randy,

Thanks, I'll order a set.

Steve

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
J Neil Avatar
J Neil Neil Stewart
Monroe, NC, USA   USA
Aircraft Spruce also has these aircraft grade bolts.

Dougie Avatar
Dougie Doug Escriva
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Randy -

The McCulloch cart looks way too clean. I hope it's not just a garage queen.....

Randy Forbes Avatar
Parrish, FL, USA   USA
1957 Austin-Healey 100-Six
1999 BMW M Coupe "Blue Car"
1999 BMW M Roadster "Black Car"
2001 BMW M Roadster "Gray Car"
In reply to # 208228 by Dougie Randy -

The McCulloch cart looks way too clean. I hope it's not just a garage queen.....
It doesn't get used as much as I'd like it to, but we're actually going to a vintage kart 3+ day event in about 1-1/2 weeks. I have an ulterior motive for wanting to go, and it's the only event even within a day's drive (this one is only 1-1/2 hrs away).

For the life of me, I can't get the darn thing to run, even resorting to (brand) new carbs. Something's going on that I haven't been able to identify, giving the attention I give it, so I'm hoping to get one of the old coots (like me) to take a look at it.

Since this was taken, I've gotten the correct "floor mat" with the McCulloch go kart logo printed on it (like original).

Dougie Avatar
Dougie Doug Escriva
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Sweet thumbs up

ah3000racer Georg Olsen, W
Barrington, IL, USA   USA
Grade 8 fine thread & g8 steel or nylock nuts. Throw away the lock tabs-way too soft. Torque to 40 ft. lbs. Georg Olsen car #75

Georg,

Tried to get a torque wrench on them but couldn't. Only have a half inch torque wrench. I'll borrow a 3/8ths an see if I have better luck.

Spent the first 8 yrs of my life in Lake Zurich Ill on Golfview Rd. Used to go swimming at a public pool in Barrington (1960s) when we didn't feel like heading to the lake.

Thanks,

Steve

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 Austin Healey 3000 BT7

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links