Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

CaptRandy Avatar
CaptRandy Randy Alkins
Warrington, Pa, USA   USA
Reinstalled exhaust, intake and carbs on BJ8 engine. Adjusted carbs per directions but cannot get idle down below about 1300. It seems that the linkage hits on the metal of the heat shield. see photos, the carb coupling shaft with the bent piece of metal that hits heat shield. Should the heat shield be grooved to let it pass lower.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_6106.JPG    58 KB
IMG_6106.JPG

IMG_6107.JPG    40.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
scullion John Cole
Hants, Please select, UK   GBR
One point is that your missing a small elongated washer that goes under the adjacent bolt and provides a shoulder to stop against. The metal shield looks right but there may be other issues.

RAC68 Avatar
RAC68 Raymond Carbone
NJ, Jersey Shore, USA   USA
Hi Randy,

John is correct. Here is a picture that may help. I know it may be difficult to see but the throttle stop rests on a platform that mounts under a bolt on the manifold. It looks like your stop is using the heat shield as the resting platform without the proper component. If the platform is in place, you will need to reposition your linkage and will have the proper heatshield clearance.

On last think, I have owned my BJ8 since new and have never been able to get the low RPM idle indicated in the book. However, I have found an idle of between 800 RPMs and 1,000 RPMs allows my engine to perform nicely.

Hope this helps,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
100_1412.JPG    37.9 KB
100_1412.JPG

CaptRandy Avatar
CaptRandy Randy Alkins
Warrington, Pa, USA   USA
Thanks John and Ray, When I looked at the heat shield it looked somewhat deformed(bent) that is why I was not sure what was going on there. I am printing out photo so that I can locate what is missing.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1957 Austin Healey 100 Six

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links