oil cooler inlet template

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

waydeki Wayde Kirvida
Hugo, MN, USA   USA
I'm going bumperless and would like to add an oil cooler inlet. probably an oil cooler toowinking smiley. b

I've seen styles with twin inlets and with a single inlet. in both cases they look like elongated holes. sometimes done in an arc that is concentric to the bottom radius of the grille opening.

is there a standard? are these purely done by hand at a size and shape that looks appealing? appreciate a link to directions on what is most appropriate to follow. obviously one that offers adequate opening to the cooler but what else? I haven't seen any kits on from moss, vb, sc, etc

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
zayante Avatar
zayante Chris Attias
Felton, CA, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1965 Land Rover Series IIA "Mrs. Merdle"
1966 Austin-Healey 3000 BJ8 "Louise"
Most of the ones I've seen are "eye-balled" by the owners, modeled on pics of factory rally cars. The two versions I've seen are a single vent, and a pair of vent holes. The dimensions of the cooler core and the need for a UK or other number plate determine the size of the opening. One guy in our club installed his cooler where he wanted it, made up a template out of cardboard, taped it to about where it should be, and when it looked "right", he took the car to a body shop to have it cut out. He chose not to reinforce or roll the edge of the cutout, as the panel seemed stiff enough to resist distortion.

You can probably make a template by looking at a photo. Attached are a couple that you could use to figure out dimensions and similar radii. The dual hole model is probably a little less efficient for cooling, but more rigid.

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 7.26.30 PM.jpg    37.6 KB
Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 7.26.30 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 7.55.49 PM.jpg    24 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
waydeki Wayde Kirvida
Hugo, MN, USA   USA
Photos saved to my album

Thx!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
petnatcar Avatar
petnatcar Silver Member Peter Carbone
Watertown, NY, USA   USA
Wayde,

The shape of the ovals never appealed to me and I thought
a round hole would compliment the round headlights and signal lights, especially without a bumper.

These are 2" diameter holes with #10 stainless steel screen glued to the back of the shroud to protect the cooler.

The cooler is shrouded for better performance and this arrangement has worked fine for the past 20 years.

Good luck,
Peter

Attachments:
DSCN3496.JPG    52.3 KB
DSCN3496.JPG

Front-Low angle.jpg    52.9 KB
DSCN4073.JPG    51.8 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1957 Austin Healey 100 Six

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links