Original Starter

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

bridunc Silver Member Brian Duncan
Indianapolis, IN, USA   USA
Is there still a need for the old Lucas Starters out there?

I installed the Hi-torque upgrade and have two old Lucas' weighing heavy in my garage.

If so, I'll post in the buy/sell area. If not, they will make great boat anchors.

Thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mgruber921 Avatar
mgruber921 Marvin Gruber
Florence, AL, USA   USA
Might be interested.
MRv

sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
I've got my original starter in the garage too, it works fine but it's never going back on my car. A hi-torque, gear reduction starter is the only way to go, I think they designed it with that big ass Healey six in mind. Now my Healey starts just like a normal car, even on cold mornings it cranks fast and fires early. Unless you've got a concourse restoration I can't see any reason to stay with the original starter.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
robcadle Rob Cadle
Redondo Beach, CA, USA   USA
My high torque starter also comes in at half the weight of the factory one, saving 9 lbs of engine weight. Not huge on its own but it all adds up

RAC68 Avatar
RAC68 Raymond Carbone
NJ, Jersey Shore, USA   USA
Hi All,

Yes, there is a need for the original starter by those who are interested is being concourse qualified. I have an original starter but considered replacing it as a result of its slow engine turnover when cold while using 20W50 engine oil. Since I presently use Mobile 1 15W50 and soon Valvoline 10W40 High Mileage, these lower temperature viscosity oils have allowed my original starter to turnover quite rapidly on startup and made consideration of a replacement, with a new Gear Reduction Starter, an unnecessary expense. As far as excess weight is concerned, yes, a gear reduction starter is lighter and a gear reduction starter replacement would reduce overall engine weight. However, when considering the mass of the engine and transmission, I would not expect a starter replacement would result in a big or effective change to weight and/or Healey performance.

By the way, consider your oil and read Motor Oil Engineering (https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/).

Your choice,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1967 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links