AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Removing differential
  This topic is about my 1961 Austin-Healey 3000
Jack T Avatar
Greensburg, PA, USA   USA
Can someone tell me if it's possible to remove the gear carrier while leaving the axle housing in place on a BT7? It looks like there might be enough room to pull it out before hitting the floor bulkhead. The workshop manual isn't clear on whether or not the entire assembly must be removed from the car first. Thanks.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
San Jose, CA, USA   USA
I don't think BT7s are much, if any, different than my BJ8. I've had my gear carrier out a couple times without removing the axle housing; you just have to pull both axles out partway from the hubs and disconnect the driveshaft at the diff, then unbolt the carrier.

Jack T Avatar
In reply to # 209207 by Bob Spidell I don't think BT7s are much, if any, different than my BJ8. I've had my gear carrier out a couple times without removing the axle housing; you just have to pull both axles out partway from the hubs and disconnect the driveshaft at the diff, then unbolt the carrier.

Thanks Bob. That's what I was hoping. It's no fun removing / replacing the housing from the car.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Rob Glasgow Avatar
Lompoc, CA, USA   USA
Jack, I can confirm you can pull the center portion without pulling the axle. I have done it on my BT7. Use the procedure Bob suggests.

Jack T Avatar
In reply to # 209218 by Rob Glasgow Jack, I can confirm you can pull the center portion without pulling the axle. I have done it on my BT7. Use the procedure Bob suggests.

Thanks Rob. That certainly makes the job much more straightforward.

Jack

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 Austin Healey 3000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links