Replacing Central Heater Control Panel

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

scullion John Cole
Hants, Please select, UK   GBR
Hi, can anyone provide a description of replacing the central black bakelite control panel in the dash of a BJ8? Mine has cracked and I've got the central consol out leaving the top bit with the switches and slide lever but am now stuck. There seems to be little or no access to the back and I'm in dire need of some good plain english of where to go from here.

With thanks
John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-18 04:01 PM by Skye.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RAC68 Avatar
RAC68 Raymond Carbone
NJ, Jersey Shore, USA   USA
Hi John,

I have done this replacement many years ago and, if I remember correctly, hate to tell you that you will need to remove your console to get proper access to the unit. It is the same Bakelite unite used on previous Healeys and other British cars without a console and is often mounted under the dash. In the BJ8, although installed behind the dash panel, I believe it uses the same mounting wholes as previous models and will require access from below (the reason for console-radio removal.

Hope this helps,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

SteveT3000 Avatar
SteveT3000 Steve Townsend
Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, UK   GBR
John, when i did mine i ended up removing the passenger side section of the dash to get access. Small screws and a dumpy screwdriver needed. Fiddly to say the least.

Others might say its not needed but i couldn't get to the back of the control panel without doing it. Its a cheap part, just a few pounds but hours of work, at least in my case.

Good luck, Steve

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
grey1 Avatar
grey1 Mike H
Delta, BC, Canada   CAN
I agree with Ray. Centre console must come out. But think of it this way, then you can do that transmission oil check or change easier, inspect headlight switch wiring, and generally get a nice close up view of how things are aging under there. Never a bad thing. Good luck. Mike

GregPoo Greg P
Sydney, NSW, Australia   AUS
Yes, the console needs to come out if you want to fit the new one 'behind' the console face. But frankly, why not mount it 'over' the console's face, as i did .. it looks a thousand times better and only ACD purists would know the difference.

scullion John Cole
Hants, Please select, UK   GBR
Thanks to Ray, Steve & Mike for their responses but I'm still a little puzzled mostly I think because of terminology.
The central console that I already have out (easily done) is I the piece below the dash that contains the space for the radio.
What I'm calling the central fascia is screwed to the veneered dash panels each side and contains the black heater control panel at the top .
This is what I can't get at and am not sure whether the fascia is to come out or not. Obviously I've got to take the heater pull knobs off and the blower switch knob off but what else?
With thanks
John

RAC68 Avatar
RAC68 Raymond Carbone
NJ, Jersey Shore, USA   USA
Hi John,

As I remember and others can verify, the center fascia need not be taken out as that would require removing the full dash (screwed at top and bottom to the wood on each side and, at the top, to the metal dash). The heater controls hold the Bakelite piece in place with 2 long screws entering from the bottom. You will also need to remove the 2 knobs and withdraw their cables to allow the Bakelite piece to be removed. Again, this is as I remember but have not addressed this for at least 15 years.

Good luck,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-18 10:05 AM by RAC68.

grey1 Avatar
grey1 Mike H
Delta, BC, Canada   CAN
Hi John, if you haven't seen this diagram from the mechanical service parts book, perhaps it will help. There are 2 long screws as Ray points out, ( # 57) and secure the panel to the facia. This drawing may help you plan your next move. Good luck. Mike

Attachments:
heater control panel 1.pdf    1.02 MB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1968 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links