Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jmc9999 John Clark
Conroe, TX, USA   USA
1965 Austin-Healey 3000 BJ8 "The Healey"
I have 65 BJ8 series I. Newly complete restoration. Transmission rebuilt from available parts on three transmissions. Two angle gears failed. Moss parts. Third on is an original Healey part. Speedometer lags when accelerating. When shifting the needle bounces to current speed. Also appears to be 4 mph slow at 30 mph.

One thought is transmission has incorrect spider gear. Just a guess

Anyone seen this problem or have a solution.

Alis how to stop dieseing at shutdown?

Thanks

jmc

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Rob Glasgow Avatar
Lompoc, CA, USA   USA
I had trouble twisting off the short cable on the angle drive that inserts into transmission on my BT7. I finally looked at the speedometer and determined the internals were not rotating smoothly. After cleaning and relubicating the speedo, the problem was resolved.

petnatcar Avatar
petnatcar Silver Member Peter Carbone
Watertown, NY, USA   USA
John,

I would look at the Ignition Timing and your Carburetor settings.

I lived with this problem for years until I had a mechanic experienced with English cars work on it.

He tweaked both of these things and now it runs and shuts down perfectly.

Use the directions in your Owners Manual and you'll be ahead of the game.

Good luck,
Peter

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
jmc9999 John Clark
Conroe, TX, USA   USA
1965 Austin-Healey 3000 BJ8 "The Healey"
Thanh’s

Internaks in transmission? Or speedometer?

jmc

San Jose, CA, USA   USA
The Smiths speedometers found in Healeys is generally known to be exactly accurate at only one speed, and a MPH or two (or three) high or low at others. As someone suggested, you can open, inspect and clean the unit pretty easily. I've had a couple professionally rebuilt and calibrated at well-known shops and this was still the case. I had some luck working on them myself, but I had to buy a couple 'spares' for parts. I think the magnet that drives the needle can lose some strength over the years. Here is a copy of the 'definitive' credo on these:

http://triumph.daveola.com/NOTES/Speedo_Repair.pdf

First thing to do is check the cable; you can unscrew the outer sheath at the speedo and pull the inner cable out and clean it. Put it on a flat surface and roll it around under the palm of your hand, if it 'snaps' it may be kinked or otherwise defective. If you see any gunk on the inner cable you'll probably want to pull the whole thing and clean the outer sheath thoroughly. If that doesn't help you may need to open up the head unit and clean thoroughly; use 'electronics parts cleaner,' NOT 'electric parts cleaner' as it will remove paint from the dials on the tripmeter and odometer (ask me how I know sad smiley). For lubrication, I recommend a silicone spray that dries and leaves a lubricant coating; oils tend to collect dust and gunk up.

As an aside, one problem I've had to deal with is a needle that bounces at regular intervals correlated to speed. This is caused by one or both of the little gears that drive the tripmeter and odometer being cracked radially. The crack causes the cable to bind just a little, then release causing the needle to jump.

Dieseling is also a common problem; let me know if you find a solution (some have gone so far as to add an 'anti-runon' valve).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-31 09:13 PM by Bob Spidell.

petnatcar Avatar
petnatcar Silver Member Peter Carbone
Watertown, NY, USA   USA
John,
I had one of those bouncing needles and an odometer that never turned and was stuck at 53,284 so
I sent it off to NISONGER and now it works perfectly.

Good luck,
Peter

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1958 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links