Steering wiring harness

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

LouHitter Lou Hitter
Yucaipa, CA, USA   USA
I recently redid the wiring harness under the dash and rebuilt the steering wheel. After reattaching the turn indicator and horn connections I could not push the harness back down the stator tube. I think the harness is bunching up blocking the tube. I’m considering going to the other end and pulling it down but I don’t know how far down it goes. Does anyone know where I can access the end of the harness?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rusty1c Avatar
rusty1c Peter D
Antioch, CA, USA   USA
1961 Austin-Healey 3000 BT7 "RUBY"
1963 Chevrolet C10 "Rusty"
Lou,
This was posted on the forum a while back and it should help. Photo is courtesy of another member, Peter Carbone. It shows how the wires mut be taped to get them through the stator tube in side the steering column.
Pete

https://www.ahexp.com/phorum/read.php?13,70901

Attachments:
DSCN3870.JPG    53 KB
DSCN3870.JPG

healeymanjim james shope
henderson, nevada, USA   USA
i always attach a long piece of baling wire to the harness with tape, then push the wire through, then gently pull the harness through with the wire. do not pull too hard or the wire will detach. sometimes i have to put a small hook at the end of the wire so it will not slip from the tape. tedious but doable.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
petnatcar Avatar
petnatcar Silver Member Peter Carbone
Watertown, NY, USA   USA
Hi Lou,

Here's a few pics that may help you.

You definitely want to PULL those wires down the Stator Tube so get a helper to pull
while you guide the Turn Signal Assembly into the Stator Tube.
Make sure the little dimples on TSA tube line up with the groove in the Stator Tube.
(I'm replacing my Stator Tube because it got twisted and cracked as you can see in the pic)

- Stagger the wire ends as shown and tape them together along with a long wire to pull them through.
(This arrangement will allow them all to go through that little tube at the same time)

The Nut and Olive at the Steering Gearbox locks the Stator Tube in position so
make sure the Turn Signal Assembly is straight on the Steering Wheel before tightening that down.

Good luck,
Peter

Attachments:
DSCN3877.JPG    31.2 KB
DSCN3877.JPG

DSCN3870.JPG    53 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
DSCN3881.JPG    55.9 KB
LouHitter Lou Hitter
Yucaipa, CA, USA   USA
Wow. I appreciate all the responses but I guess what I really need to know is do I find the bullets in the steering box or does the harness exit somewhere closer to the firewall?

rusty1c Avatar
rusty1c Peter D
Antioch, CA, USA   USA
Lou, Not quite sere what you mean. One end of the wires connect to the terminals in the trafficator. The other end should have the bullets on the individual wires. The end with the bullets enters the steering column from inside the car. If you look at the shaft that the steering wheel goes on to you will see that it is hollow. The other end of the steering column goes into the steering box and there is a brass fitting with tubing protruding from the front side of the steering box as Peter Carbone's last picture. This is where the wires come out.
Hope this helps.
Peter D
rusty1c

RAC68 Avatar
RAC68 Raymond Carbone
NJ, Jersey Shore, USA   USA
Hi Lou,

The harness passes through t he steering box and extends further to connections on the harness passing in front of the radiator but under the shroud.

How is the condition of your Stator Tube … the covering on the harness? The steering wheel harness is usually withdrawn by being pulled form the top (steering wheel side) and installed by being pulling from the bottom (steering box side). When withdrawing the harness, a wire is often attached (taped) to the harness and left in the tube for harness reinstallation. If the lower portion of the harness is accessible, I would secure a wire just incase it is inadvertently pull into the steering box portion of the tube and withdraw the upper end (steering wheel end) until the harness is taught and without kinks or twists. I then would pull the harness down the steering column with the attached wire (if the harness is not accessible) until the harness is properly positioned.

Just my thoughts,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

petnatcar Avatar
Watertown, NY, USA   USA
The main wiring harness is attached to the upper front cross member and the Turn Signal wires are
easily accessible with the grill removed plus they are all snap connections.

The wires from the Turn Signal Assembly would normally come out that hole in the Steering Gearbox
but I forgot to take the "before" shot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-17 04:03 PM by petnatcar.

Attachments:
DSCN3884.JPG    101.8 KB
DSCN3884.JPG

DSCN3968.JPG    69.4 KB
LouHitter Lou Hitter
Yucaipa, CA, USA   USA
Fantastic. That is exactly what I was looking for.

LouHitter Lou Hitter
Yucaipa, CA, USA   USA
Thank you. This is what I needed to know. Without pulling the grill I couldn’t see the front of the steering box.

LouHitter Lou Hitter
Yucaipa, CA, USA   USA
Thank you Peter. The pictures are a great help. They confirmed my suspicions that I was going to have to pull the grill.

rusty1c Avatar
rusty1c Peter D
Antioch, CA, USA   USA
Lou,
If you haven't removed the lower portion of the stator tube from the steering box, you don't have to remove the grill. Just insert a stiff wire between the grill slats and up through the column to attach the trafficator wires to. You can access the plug in connection for the bullets from underneath the car if you put it up on jack stands.
Pete

LouHitter Lou Hitter
Yucaipa, CA, USA   USA
Thanks Peter. I have some damage to the grill an need to pull it off anyway but it’s nice to add another tip to my file.

Ken Gaidos Avatar
Nolensville, TN, USA   USA
I have a short in the harness of my BJ8.I have removed the nut at the bottom of the steering box,but my wiring harness will not budge trying to push it up through the stator tube.I don't understand why?My horn assembly is loose,I expected the harness to just pull up through.

petnatcar Avatar
Watertown, NY, USA   USA
Ken,

You have to PULL IT through the Stator Tube.

Make sure the OLIVE under the NUT is not still attached to the Steering Gearbox,
then line up the wires and start pulling.

Grab the wires as soon as the TSA clears the Stator Tube and pull on them.

If you've got a short you're gonna have to get the wires out anyways so keep pulling.

You can always snip the ends off the wires and re-solder them back on later.

Good luck,
Peter

Attachments:
DSCN3870.JPG    53 KB
DSCN3870.JPG

DSCN3881.JPG    55.9 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links